Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Verizon

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By wildkitten
  • 1 Post By knitpurlgurl
  • 1 Post By Joe Eris

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
knitpurlgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 277
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Bionic 4.0.4 Stock OS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 105
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Question FoxFi for Unrooted Phones & Big Red

Have any of you been using FoxFi for unrooted phones regularly on 4G/LTE? Have you been warned or fined by Big Red?

__________________
A knitter and crafter who secretly wants to be a techie.
knitpurlgurl is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
TexasBadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas Area
Posts: 208
 
Device(s): Asus Transformer Infinity (stock) Motorola Droid Bionic (stock)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13
Thanked 63 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Yes, and No.
TexasBadger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
knitpurlgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 277
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Bionic 4.0.4 Stock OS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 105
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Do you have the proxy server enabled? I had it enabled; manually set it in Firefox and it worked. Then 20 minutes later when I went to use it, it didn't work. Double checked settings and everything was fine. Not sure what happened.
knitpurlgurl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wildkitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 601
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4; Droid Bionic (retired, now a GPS); Asus TF300T
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Default

No need to worry now, The FCC slapped Verizon down on charging more for tethering.

FCC Says Verizon Can't Block Tethering Apps
jerry42570 likes this.
wildkitten is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wildkitten For This Useful Post:
Joe Eris (August 3rd, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
knitpurlgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 277
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Bionic 4.0.4 Stock OS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 105
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkitten View Post
No need to worry now, The FCC slapped Verizon down on charging more for tethering.

FCC Says Verizon Can't Block Tethering Apps
They can't block tethering apps, but that doesn't mean they can't charge us for using them, from what I understand. (I could be wrong. But I read an article that said they are allowed to charge us for mobile hotspot, just cannot keep us from downloading and using the tethering apps.)
knitpurlgurl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wildkitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 601
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4; Droid Bionic (retired, now a GPS); Asus TF300T
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitpurlgurl View Post
They can't block tethering apps, but that doesn't mean they can't charge us for using them, from what I understand. (I could be wrong. But I read an article that said they are allowed to charge us for mobile hotspot, just cannot keep us from downloading and using the tethering apps.)
The way the article reads, they were blocking tethering apps and charging the $20 for their own service, not for actually using the device as a hotspot.

From what I understand, they can't block anymore tethering apps because they operate on the C block of spectrum and they can't charge extra just for using the device as a hotspot.

Now I have heard some talk that unlimited data plan users may be considered different, but since there soon won't be unlimited plans anymore for anyone, sort of a moot point.
wildkitten is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
knitpurlgurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 277
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Bionic 4.0.4 Stock OS
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 105
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkitten View Post
The way the article reads, they were blocking tethering apps and charging the $20 for their own service, not for actually using the device as a hotspot.

From what I understand, they can't block anymore tethering apps because they operate on the C block of spectrum and they can't charge extra just for using the device as a hotspot.

Now I have heard some talk that unlimited data plan users may be considered different, but since there soon won't be unlimited plans anymore for anyone, sort of a moot point.
Ya, I'm one of those unlimited users who may outright buy my next phone to stay that way. We'll see..
Duckster likes this.
knitpurlgurl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 356
 
Device(s): Bionic, Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 14
Thanked 86 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitpurlgurl View Post
Do you have the proxy server enabled? I had it enabled; manually set it in Firefox and it worked. Then 20 minutes later when I went to use it, it didn't work. Double checked settings and everything was fine. Not sure what happened.
I used Foxfi for the first time yesterday at a softball game for someone with a Blackberry Playbook who needed to get on the internet. I started Foxfi (first time), checked the box to start the hotspot, and about a minute later she was tethered and on the internet. I didn't have to do anything else. Tethered her again later with no problems.
Groid is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Groid For This Useful Post:
marctronixx (August 8th, 2012)
Old August 5th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Lars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,395
 
Device(s): A whole drawer full.
Carrier: Verizon (usually)

Thanks: 70
Thanked 204 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Awesome!!
__________________
Razr Maxx HD BL Unlocked, Rooted Bionic GSM enabled, Stock Razr, Eris 2.3.5 GSB, Inc2 Froyo, 1.2Ghz Droid X Koush recovery, Rooted Fascinate, DIs, Ally, Charge.
Lars is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Joe Eris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Riverside CA
Posts: 291
 
Device(s): Stock Galaxy S3, Stock Bionic on .232, UN-rooted Incredible and Stock Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 120
Thanked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Yeah it is. I especially love the part where Verizon had to pay the Treasury 1.25 mil. To stop the FCC's investigation. Ha, Ha, Ha, take that Big Red! How do you like being punked & bullied of YOUR money! You greedy corporate, double dippers)
Joe Eris is offline  
Last edited by Joe Eris; August 5th, 2012 at 04:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 5th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Honolulu, HI
Gender: Male
Posts: 889
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2 iPhones 5's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 57
Thanked 116 Times in 88 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Eris View Post
Yeah it is. I especially love the part where Verizon had to pay the Treasury 1.25 mil. To stop the FCC's investigation. Ha, Ha, Ha, take that Big Red! How do you like being punked & bullied of YOUR money! You greedy corporate, double dippers)
You do realize (then again maybe you don't) corporations don't pay fines, the customers of the corporations pay the fines. Think about it, where do corporations get the money to pay fines? You think they find it in the street?

Bottom line, if you're a Verizon customer, some of YOUR money helped pay the fine!
__________________
Dirk
The government can't give you anything until it first takes it from someone else!
dirkbonn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Joe Eris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Riverside CA
Posts: 291
 
Device(s): Stock Galaxy S3, Stock Bionic on .232, UN-rooted Incredible and Stock Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 120
Thanked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkbonn View Post
You do realize (then again maybe you don't) corporations don't pay fines, the customers of the corporations pay the fines. Think about it, where do corporations get the money to pay fines? You think they find it in the street?

Bottom line, if you're a Verizon customer, some of YOUR money helped pay the fine!
True, but at least Someone stood up to these greedy gougers, Spoke up for US & stopped Verizon from double dipping! That's what's most important here.
jerry42570 likes this.
Joe Eris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,402
 
Device(s): Droooooid-X, BB Storm 1 retired,
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 198 Times in 125 Posts
Default

Discovered FoxFi by accident this weekend. We had rented a cabin and the password for their wifi didn't work and the 3G signal for others(Sprint and ATT&T) wasn't strong enough, so I quietly downloaded FoxFi and the others were totally astonished they could use their phones(i-Fauxn) and laptops off my 2 year old Droid X. I just smiled...
3 people used it at the same time and said it was as fast as being at home. My signal went from 2 bars to 4 while it was in use.....strange.
I don't see it as greed. Just what the market will bear and people not knowing they have a choice otherwise.
If you got paid a lot for working, would you call it greed on your part? No, it's just what you are worth and what the market will bear.
bigbadwulff is offline  
Last edited by bigbadwulff; August 7th, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 44
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkitten View Post

Now I have heard some talk that unlimited data plan users may be considered different, but since there soon won't be unlimited plans anymore for anyone, sort of a moot point.


i don't understand this, regardless of what "plan" i have, i'm still using the same data pipeline as the shared users.

the FCC implemented the rule on the use of that data pipe, not how we are getting access to the data pipe.

Block C spectrum is Block C spectrum, regardless of what plan you have.
Perch_44 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
irishjoeyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 284
 
Device(s): HTC One M8
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 16
Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkbonn View Post
You do realize (then again maybe you don't) corporations don't pay fines, the customers of the corporations pay the fines. Think about it, where do corporations get the money to pay fines? You think they find it in the street?

Bottom line, if you're a Verizon customer, some of YOUR money helped pay the fine!
This is not necessarily true. Businesses don't only make money from customers, they make money from investments as well. In addition, when they pay a fine, they don't necessarily increase prices for anything as a result of paying that fine. The laws of supply and demand and the equilibrium price point still apply. If a business pays a fine, and then they raise prices for their customers, that doesn't mean that customers are suddenly willing to pay more for the same product or service. And it certainly isn't the case that customers receive a bill in the mail for the fine. In all likelihood, the fine is on the books as a loss of revenue, especially because $1.2 million is a tiny drop in a very large bucket for even one quarter.
irishjoeyo is offline  
Last edited by irishjoeyo; August 15th, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 266
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 3
Thanked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I've been using it regularly when needed (few times a week) with no issues.
Captain Sexy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perch_44 View Post
i don't understand this, regardless of what "plan" i have, i'm still using the same data pipeline as the shared users.

the FCC implemented the rule on the use of that data pipe, not how we are getting access to the data pipe.

Block C spectrum is Block C spectrum, regardless of what plan you have.
The fine was only for blocking tethering on their tiered data plans, not unlimited. Because Verizon was already charging for tethering on their unlimited plan when the deal was put in place they can continue to limit tethering on unlimited users. Users with tiered plans do not have to pay extra for tethering.
edshropshire is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
dautley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dickson, TN.
Posts: 1,696
 
Device(s): BIONIC XT875 JB .22/Rooted, Nexus 7 (16GB with CM10), Nexus 7 (32GB stock) Nexus 10 (32GB), LG Ally
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 296
Thanked 445 Times in 291 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edshropshire View Post
The fine was only for blocking tethering on their tiered data plans, not unlimited. Because Verizon was already charging for tethering on their unlimited plan when the deal was put in place they can continue to limit tethering on unlimited users. Users with tiered plans do not have to pay extra for tethering.
They cannot limit tethering on unlimited users, especially if your on LTE, but they can charge you a "tethering fee" should they somehow catch you.
dautley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Verizon
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.