Originally Posted by adk749
Hey everyone. I am very interested in picking up the Incredible under Verizon's early upgrade promotion (I live in upstate NY). Here is my question/situation:
- I get the Incredible on 4/29 through the early upgrade promotion on my line.
- In June Apple surprises us all and announces the Verizon iPhone.
- I like the iPhone better than the Incredible and want to get it, so I have my Dad get the iPhone on his account, who is up for a new phone and will get the NE2 discount.
- I then take the iPhone from my Dad's account and put it on my line.
Does he still have to pay for the data plan the entire length of his contract because he upgraded to the iPhone or can he downgrade immediately and go back to a dumb phone with just the minutes for talking.
Thanks in advance for letting me know!
Wow, that's an awfully complicated little scenario there
I really don't have a solid answer for you (though, my gut tells me that they make him stand by his contract and keep his data package - But that's just my intuition, no facts) but there a few things you're gonna want to keep in mind...
- Where did you see that the iphone was being released in June? At this point, all VZW iphone talk is just rumors and speculation...Although, within that speculation, I know I read somewhere (probably on engadget) that the earliest that production could begin on a VZW iphone is September 2010, which would put its earliest release at the holidays.
- If your dad gets an iphone then gives it to you and he gets a new dumbphone, I think he's gonna have to pay full retail on a new dumbphone which is not cheap even on a dumbphone.
- Something else that I don't think a lot of people consider when they talk about trading up to an N1 or Incredible or iphone is that next year you're going to start seeing LTE phones showing up on VZW while you're still locked into a contract with your 3G phone (which will pretty damn slow by LTE standards) that's a year old. There will always be something bigger, faster, and better so the moral is that if you keep waiting for the next great thing, you'll be waiting forever because turnover with cell phones is VERY rapid.
If you really want an Incredible, then get one. If it's just to hold you over until the iphone comes out (if
it comes out) on VZW and the iphone is what you REALLY want, then I'd wait if I were you. Why settle?...If you could call getting an Incredible "settling"