Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Verizon

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
albiewan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Beach CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 366
 
Device(s): Samsung Mega 6.3 (Sprint)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 49
Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Default Will HTC Evo work on Verizon?

Why can't the Sprint HTC Evo operate on Verizon? Is it the WiMAX vs. LTE that is the hitch? Could an unlocked Evo function on VZW? I would appreciate someone explaining this. I already have the Eris and a Moto Droid now and am considering the Incredible but the Evo is really what I want. The early termination fees and hesitation about Sprint's network are considerable roadblocks for me. Thanks!

__________________
Apple is PARANOID of ANDROID!
albiewan is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 1,124
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 69 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albiewan View Post
Why can't the Sprint HTC Evo operate on Verizon? Is it the WiMAX vs. LTE that is the hitch? Could an unlocked Evo function on VZW? I would appreciate someone explaining this. I already have the Eris and a Moto Droid now and am considering the Incredible but the Evo is really what I want. The early termination fees and hesitation about Sprint's network are considerable roadblocks for me. Thanks!
The hitch is Verizon currently doesn't have 4G out at the moment and when they do get it, the EVO 4G won't have the capability to utilize LTE technology (as you said, WiMAX v. LTE)

I'm fairly sure the EVO 4G will have a CDMA radio for backward compatibility (considering Sprint's WiMAX coverage is fairly limited) so... maybe it can be forced to work on 3G with VZN if--and only if--Verizon adds the device into their phone database (otherwise you can't even activate the EVO 4G on the Verizon Network)
QrafTee is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QrafTee For This Useful Post:
albiewan (April 19th, 2010), itsTee (April 30th, 2010)
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
albiewan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Beach CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 366
 
Device(s): Samsung Mega 6.3 (Sprint)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 49
Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QrafTee View Post
The hitch is Verizon currently doesn't have 4G out at the moment and when they do get it, the EVO 4G won't have the capability to utilize LTE technology (as you said, WiMAX v. LTE)

I'm fairly sure the EVO 4G will have a CDMA radio for backward compatibility (considering Sprint's WiMAX coverage is fairly limited) so... maybe it can be forced to work on 3G with VZN if--and only if--Verizon adds the device into their phone database (otherwise you can't even activate the EVO 4G on the Verizon Network)
Since Sprint's 4G is limited (and from what I have read it is a "hybrid" version of 4G) I assume the Evo will function well in their broader 3G network. Allowing for what you said about the backward compatibility and VZW having to first put it in their database, what are the odds they would do that? What would be the negatives for VZW to prevent them from doing that? Just appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks again.
albiewan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 1,124
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 69 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by albiewan View Post
Since Sprint's 4G is limited (and from what I have read it is a "hybrid" version of 4G) I assume the Evo will function well in their broader 3G network. Allowing for what you said about the backward compatibility and VZW having to first put it in their database, what are the odds they would do that? What would be the negatives for VZW to prevent them from doing that? Just appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks again.
I would say it's highly unlikely they would add a phone they won't sell on their network--it's still unlikely that they would port the same phone over with only 3G against Sprint's 4G.

However, I was discussing this was a friend and it's likely that VZN will work on getting their own version of the EVO by the time their LTE roll out plans have been initiated next year; we'll probably see something along the lines of Droid Evolution 4G or something.
QrafTee is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QrafTee For This Useful Post:
albiewan (April 19th, 2010)
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 75
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Their own version of the Evo? Hmm... well if the legend of the 4.3 inch screened, sliding keyboarded Motorola Mirage (aptly named? ) / shadow / droid 2 / nexus 2 is to be believed, the Evo isn't gonna be top dog for long. I don't doubt they will eventually bring a phone with a similar form factor but given that many people would simply view it as the bigger (and thus better) Incredible, it really wouldn't be a brilliant idea.

Call me crazy, but I think the new Moto is gonna be their next Big Thing.
scarshapedstar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 1,124
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 69 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarshapedstar View Post
Their own version of the Evo? Hmm... well if the legend of the 4.3 inch screened, sliding keyboarded Motorola Mirage (aptly named? ) / shadow / droid 2 / nexus 2 is to be believed, the Evo isn't gonna be top dog for long. I don't doubt they will eventually bring a phone with a similar form factor but given that many people would simply view it as the bigger (and thus better) Incredible, it really wouldn't be a brilliant idea.

Call me crazy, but I think the new Moto is gonna be their next Big Thing.
Heh, just remember that Motorola is notorious for releasing a "hit" phone once a decade-ish... and the Droid was definitely a "hit."
QrafTee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 763
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 262 Times in 159 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarshapedstar View Post
Their own version of the Evo? Hmm... well if the legend of the 4.3 inch screened, sliding keyboarded Motorola Mirage (aptly named? ) / shadow / droid 2 / nexus 2 is to be believed, the Evo isn't gonna be top dog for long. I don't doubt they will eventually bring a phone with a similar form factor but given that many people would simply view it as the bigger (and thus better) Incredible, it really wouldn't be a brilliant idea.

Call me crazy, but I think the new Moto is gonna be their next Big Thing.
It's called the shadow and it's 4.1". The droid2 is a different phone. The nexus 2 isn't the shadow.
drhill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
albiewan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Beach CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 366
 
Device(s): Samsung Mega 6.3 (Sprint)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 49
Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post
It's called the shadow and it's 4.1". The droid2 is a different phone. The nexus 2 isn't the shadow.
Methinks that Motorola has struck gold with the Droid and has the business acumen to know a good thing when they see it. No doubt in my mind that they will release another bombshell of a phone soon. IMHO I think the screen size (or close to it) of the Evo will be the standard in the near future. Look at all the multimedia out there that will be enhanced with a larger screen.
albiewan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 763
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 262 Times in 159 Posts
Default

The droid2 is rumored to come out anytime from late summer to october.
drhill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 79
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Still unanswered, but is there any reason VZW couldn't activate the EVO on their network. According to this chart, they are on the same frequency.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?id[]=2665&id[]=2708&id[]=&id[]=&id[]=

copy and paste the full link above
murdoc158 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 247
 
Device(s): Droid X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 36
Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
Still unanswered, but is there any reason VZW couldn't activate the EVO on their network. According to this chart, they are on the same frequency.

Phone Scoop[]=2665&id[]=2708&id[]=&id[]=&id[]=

copy and paste the full link above
If the esn is not in Verizon's database, then the device can not be activated. The EVO is a Sprint exclusive, so more than likely, no, the device can not be activated. Sorry.
butthead007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Mr. Logic Pants
 
IOWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,827
 
Device(s): GS4 ASUS Transformer TF101 GS3
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 1,897
Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,209 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
Still unanswered, but is there any reason VZW couldn't activate the EVO on their network. According to this chart, they are on the same frequency.

Phone Scoop[]=2665&id[]=2708&id[]=&id[]=&id[]=

copy and paste the full link above
Technically speaking, no there is absolutely no reason why it could not be used and activated on the VZW network.

However, Sprint and VZW have policies in which they won't activate a phone that isn't in their database. So basically, no company logo, no activato!
__________________
Useful links: The Rules | The Team | FAQ | Unanswered Threads |
IOWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 51
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 31 Times in 10 Posts
Default

afaik the broadcom chip used in the evo for 4g is dual wimax and lte. rememer reading that somewhere on here a while back.
vinylfreak89 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have been a "Verizon" customer since before it was Verizon. It is the only cell company I have had. To me it seems rather dumb not to activate a phone that I want; so I have to switch carriers to get it.
haverr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 54
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haverr View Post
I have been a "Verizon" customer since before it was Verizon. It is the only cell company I have had. To me it seems rather dumb not to activate a phone that I want; so I have to switch carriers to get it.
sadly, wireless operators don't seem to have their customers in mind...they have some kind of agreement where they don't active each other's phone...
SDRebel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Honolulu, HI
Gender: Male
Posts: 889
 
Device(s): Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2 iPhones 5's
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 57
Thanked 116 Times in 88 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
sadly, wireless operators don't seem to have their customers in mind...they have some kind of agreement where they don't active each other's phone...
Look at it from this angle. Suppose Verizon did let you activate a phone sold by Sprint on thier network. A few weeks later you have a problem with.... say.. one of you email accounts on your phone. If you call Verizon, they'll tell you "We don't even sell that phone..... It's a Sprint phone." If you call Sprint, they'll tell, "You're not even a customer of ours...."

Now you might say that you would never call about a phone problem and you'd troubleshoot it yourself, but many customers couldn't or wouldn't do it themselves. So they complain to the BBB or the FCC.... I have a phone with a problem on Verizons network and they refuse to help me..... Yada, yada, yada!

Verizon just wouldn't want to open themselves up to those problems....

Just my take on your situation,
__________________
Dirk
The government can't give you anything until it first takes it from someone else!
dirkbonn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i know this thread is old but i have an evo 4g OG that i got for cricket and for some reason i cant get the phone to get off verizon towers for roaming. someone seemed to have successfully done it. yeah i tried about 10 different cricket prls and followed all the flash to cricket tutorials still only getting verizon messages.
calbha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Verizon
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.