Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Verizon

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AntimonyER

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Unlimited Data Swap

So here is the 10,000th thread regarding keeping VZW unlimited data. I am looking to swap my iphone 4s with an iphone 5. Here is how my plan is structured.

My phone- Iphone4s with unlimited data
Sisters phone- Dumb phone

I was thinking that I will use my sisters upgrade to buy the Iphone5 and get 2gb of data on that line. I will then swap my Iphone4s with the Iphone5 keeping my unlimited data on my line and my sisters Iphone4s will have the 2gb of data. Am I missing anything here ?

thanks!

chitown72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hilmar2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 930
 
Device(s): HTC DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 18
Thanked 182 Times in 146 Posts
Default

That'll work.
hilmar2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
red66charger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Belleair Bluffs, FL
Posts: 767
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx (XT1080M)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 910
Thanked 649 Times in 387 Posts
Default

Glad I saw this. I intend to do the same thing with my wife. She has a dumb phone but I just bought her a like new 4s. I want to use her upgrade for a Note II or DNA.

Any predictability to Verizon's "Double Dour Data" sales or are those days over?
red66charger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,377
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,727
Thanked 5,846 Times in 3,301 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

I imagine the days of deals on data are over. Verizon has the writing on the wall and it says that we're going make a lot of money on data. They don't seem to value voice and texting anymore, since they're only coming in unlimited form with the SE plans, but data prices are through the roof.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
red66charger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Belleair Bluffs, FL
Posts: 767
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx (XT1080M)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 910
Thanked 649 Times in 387 Posts
Default

I believe you are correct. I went to a corporate store today and, thanKfully, had a csr who understood what I was wanting to do. He even let me rant a bit and admitted VZW is definitely only interested in keeping Big Red happy.

He told me I could upgrade my wife's feature phone with a smartphone subsidy and switch devices afterward. However, there are two caveats. One...we can't do it all on the same day. He said "they" are watching for this type of maneuvering. I would have to wait a couple of days. Two...and this is my biggest concern...he said once we swap phones, the warranty on the new subsidized device would be null. That's not cool with me.

Of course, I could talk with a different csr and get a totally different story I'm sure. He told me the "Double Your Data" deals were to get people on to 4G plans.
red66charger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
hilmar2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 930
 
Device(s): HTC DNA
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 18
Thanked 182 Times in 146 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red66charger View Post

He told me I could upgrade my wife's feature phone with a smartphone subsidy and switch devices afterward. However, there are two caveats. One...we can't do it all on the same day. He said "they" are watching for this type of maneuvering. I would have to wait a couple of days. Two...and this is my biggest concern...he said once we swap phones, the warranty on the new subsidized device would be null. That's not cool with me.

Of course, I could talk with a different csr and get a totally different story I'm sure. He told me the "Double Your Data" deals were to get people on to 4G plans.

I think he is wrong on every count.
hilmar2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,377
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,727
Thanked 5,846 Times in 3,301 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red66charger View Post
I believe you are correct. I went to a corporate store today and, thanKfully, had a csr who understood what I was wanting to do. He even let me rant a bit and admitted VZW is definitely only interested in keeping Big Red happy.

He told me I could upgrade my wife's feature phone with a smartphone subsidy and switch devices afterward. However, there are two caveats. One...we can't do it all on the same day. He said "they" are watching for this type of maneuvering. I would have to wait a couple of days. Two...and this is my biggest concern...he said once we swap phones, the warranty on the new subsidized device would be null. That's not cool with me.

Of course, I could talk with a different csr and get a totally different story I'm sure. He told me the "Double Your Data" deals were to get people on to 4G plans.
I know for a fact that the CSR is wrong about warranty because at the very least, you'll have the 1 year manufacturer's warranty no matter what. It might not be as convenient as going to the Verizon store for an exchange, but it is still something.
As far as the maneuvering issue, if that is true, it would have to be really new because people have been doing this same day even recently without any issues.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 27
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

He's mostly right. If the iPhone 5 is ACTIVATED on the "swapper" line before putting it on your own, its sim can basically break for 24-48 hrs before it can be reactivated again to prevent gaming.
ZRock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
FunkyBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 110
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 22
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Default

I went into a Verizon store asking about doing this a couple weeks ago. The CSR also told me that V corporate was frowning on this process now and that he couldn't do it for me.

I ended up going to Best Buy this weekend and did exactly this for 2 of the lines on my account and so far so good. We still have unlimited data. And the Best Buy guys don't seem to care. They just want to sell the phones.
FunkyBoss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 102
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default

The csr is wrong about the man warranty. All they have to do is see the history of the esn being on your account from the activation date. People do alternate buddy swap upgrades all the time.

Here is a little tip. Don't believe or take 100 percent factual what a csr rep is telling you unless they look it up.
NYankee is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So I got the new razr hd today in the mail. I want to swap it to my unlimited line that currently has a 4s on it. Do I need to activate the razr hd on the newly upgraded line and then wait a couple days to swap esns online?

My end goal is to have a 2gb 4s and unlimited razr
chitown72 is offline  
Last edited by chitown72; January 15th, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,546
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,016
Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts
Default Re: Unlimited Data Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown72 View Post
So I got the new razr hd today in the mail. I want to swap it to my unlimited line that currently has a 4s on it. Do I need to activate the razr hd on the newly upgraded line and then wait a couple days to swap esns online?

My end goal is to have a 2gb 4s and unlimited razr
Yes you want to activate the phone on the line which was upgraded first then swap it over.
Bob Cat likes this.
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines
Got some help? Hit Thanks!
See something you like? Hit Like!
See something you hate? Hit Report!
AntimonyER is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks . Do I have to wait a few days ?
chitown72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Okay I have a monkey wrench question to ask now. Here's my setup:
Two unlimited smartphones and two dumb phones.
One unlimited has an unmovable upgrade (has an upgrade plus fifty bucks credit?) and used an available on dumb line#1 to upgrade to a htc dna.
Dumb line #2 upgraded about eight or six months ago to another phone that doesn't require a data plan.
Unlimited line #2 has an available transferable upgrade where can that upgrade go?
Is it possible to move unlimited #2's upgrade to dumb line #2 even though it just upgraded less than a year ago or can I use unlimited #2 upgrade to dumb line #1 even though it just got upgraded in December of 2012?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
comk4ver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Verizon
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.