Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Viewsonic gTablet

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 11th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default G-Tab on sale this weekend at Sears

Just picked up a a viewsonic G-Tab at Sears today for $315! On sale for $349 then snagged another 10% off from a flyer at the checkout. Couldn't pass it up at this price!

Advertisements
dlike is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dlike For This Useful Post:
uniquenameEVO (December 17th, 2010)
sponsored links
Old December 11th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,475
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlike View Post
Just picked up a a viewsonic G-Tab at Sears today for $315! On sale for $349 then snagged another 10% off from a flyer at the checkout. Couldn't pass it up at this price!
Wow! That's a great price. Root that sucker!
__________________
My Drid does... your phne duhs...
xmr405o is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmr405o View Post
Wow! That's a great price. Root that sucker!
That's exactly what I intend to do but Santa is making me wait until Christmas. LOL
dlike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
tripwire's_hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 74
 
Device(s): Galaxy S 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Recommend this device highly IF YOU ROOT IT.

it's not difficult, but can take some time if you're a newbie (like me). I had everything squared away in about 2 hours. (carefully followed and re-read every step along the way)
tripwire's_hero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
watersrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central FL
Gender: Male
Posts: 206
 
Device(s): RAZR Maxx,Nexus 7, Bionic,Charge,2 OG Droids,Viewsonic g-Tablet,Nabi 2
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 55
Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Send a message via AIM to watersrules
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlike View Post
That's exactly what I intend to do but Santa is making me wait until Christmas. LOL
You and me both.. that Santa sucks!
__________________
Current: RAZR MAXX, Nexus 7, Droid Bionic - Stock, Nabi 2
Older: Charge-Tweaked v2.0, OG Droid-Pete's Bugless Beast 0.6.2.1, g-Tablet-VEGAn-Tab GingerEdition STABLE RC1
watersrules is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 16
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

How long does this thing take to charge up the first time? I am stuck in an endless cycle in the setup due to a force close.
kpiskin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,475
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpiskin View Post
How long does this thing take to charge up the first time? I am stuck in an endless cycle in the setup due to a force close.
If u can skip the setup, I would do so. I would try to reboot after that. That usually fixes FCs for so u can continue with the set up. Are u gonna flash a custom rom?
xmr405o is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 649
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 104 Times in 69 Posts
Default

OK, at that price, I am trying one. Gotta compare it to my archos 70.
__________________
Stock 2.1->rooted 2.1->rooted 2.2->Fresh->Burnt->Warm
uniquenameEVO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 16
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It won't let me skip setup. If I do not agree, it will turn itself off. If I attempt to go to next screen, I get a force close. Unfortunately there is no battery pull or reset option either. The thing is, it booted up without going through the registration process, then pulled the update from the web. After I rebooted from the update is when it kept trying to make me register.
kpiskin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,475
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpiskin View Post
It won't let me skip setup. If I do not agree, it will turn itself off. If I attempt to go to next screen, I get a force close. Unfortunately there is no battery pull or reset option either. The thing is, it booted up without going through the registration process, then pulled the update from the web. After I rebooted from the update is when it kept trying to make me register.
Try running recovery. When u boot up, hold the power and vol ume + . That wipes data
xmr405o is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 16
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I get to the little exclamation mark inside the triangle, and then it shuts off. Is that what's supposed to happen? I still have the same problem when I boot after doing that.
kpiskin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,475
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpiskin View Post
I get to the little exclamation mark inside the triangle, and then it shuts off. Is that what's supposed to happen? I still have the same problem when I boot after doing that.
Yes that's normal. To be honest, I haven't had the stock os loaded on my gtab for more than an hour so I can't remember the initial setup screens. I did find this in the xda forums..I hope it'll help u.

Just got a tablet - bunch of forced closes 1st time? - xda-developers

I looked thru ur posts and it looks like u have some knowledge of flashing update zips so I really suggest u flash a custom rom asap. I personally would not recommend this tab if u plan on keeping it stock. This tab is so awesme with the custom roms available.
xmr405o is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
One bite at a time...
 
Martimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 'neath a cactus
Posts: 19,519
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S-5, Samsung Galaxy Pro 12.2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,920
Thanked 4,032 Times in 2,410 Posts
martimus98
Default

When I got mine it took about 4 or 5 hours for the G-tab to charge initially...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmr405o View Post
I looked thru ur posts and it looks like u have some knowledge of flashing update zips so I really suggest u flash a custom rom asap. I personally would not recommend this tab if u plan on keeping it stock. This tab is so awesme with the custom roms available.
The only problem with this is that both TnT and Vegan look pretty awesome! Some of us are coveting the idea of a second G-tab just so we can load them both...
__________________
Yea though I walk through the Valley of Google I shall fear no Apple...

Advice provided comes from fellow Android enthusiasts. We're not tech support. Please do your due dilligence before implementing! And if someone helped you, please share the love with the button...
Martimus is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rushmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,850
 
Device(s): S4, iPad Air, Note 2014 10.1, Dell V11 5130, Nvidia Shield. Yes- too many devices.
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 403
Thanked 1,382 Times in 971 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquenameEVO View Post
OK, at that price, I am trying one. Gotta compare it to my archos 70.
If you mod it and put TnT 2.4 on it and Flash, you will likely feel let down by the Archo 70 performance. At least that was my case with the Archos 101. That said, the Archos 101 seems slower than my Droid 1 was. Both have 256mb ram, but Droid 1 is more mature for firmware.

Gtablet at $350 makes it a keeper for me.
rushmore is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,475
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
If you mod it and put TnT 2.4 on it and Flash, you will likely feel let down by the Archo 70 performance. At least that was my case with the Archos 101. That said, the Archos 101 seems slower than my Droid 1 was. Both have 256mb ram, but Droid 1 is more mature for firmware.

Gtablet at $350 makes it a keeper for me.
Yup even more so if you get 10% off like the OP. Next yr the prices of 10 inch tegra 2 tabs are gonna go up. Of course they'll most certainly have better screens and a better out of the box experience but you'll definitely pay for it.
xmr405o is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I picked up two g tabs couple weeks ago for my kids for Christmas. I opened one to see what it was all about. No Flash, No Marketplace! Made it not worth it. I did a zr4 root? Dont think i did it correctly. Can someone offer me advise. I tried Xda site but it want let me do the downloads. Would love to keep these for the kids only if i could get them to work with flash and marketplace. Help before I return them.
Georgio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 07:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 381
 
Device(s): 2xMoto Droid1s, 2xZT-180, WitsA81E, 2xViewsonic GTabs, Nook Color
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgio View Post
I picked up two g tabs couple weeks ago for my kids for Christmas. I opened one to see what it was all about. No Flash, No Marketplace! Made it not worth it. I did a zr4 root? Dont think i did it correctly. Can someone offer me advise. I tried Xda site but it want let me do the downloads. Would love to keep these for the kids only if i could get them to work with flash and marketplace. Help before I return them.
I'd suggest going over to the XDA Dev site and loading Clockworks Recovery and then the VegaN rom as I've found it to be the cleanest thus far;

G Tablet Android Development - xda-developers

TnTLite is another good choice... but both of these are so much better than the original stock firmware it's night and day...
jtbnet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central NY
Posts: 1
 
Device(s): Samsung Moment Viewsonic G- tab
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Some Sears do have then

If you have a knowledgeable person in the electronics dept., they might be able to help you out or get one from another store.

One kid knew what he was talking about.so I went back the next the day and some other dude was there but had no clue...I told him that the other guy put one aside for me...he reluctantly went into the back and found it..price was about $265
CowCrusher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Viewsonic gTablet
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.