Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Viewsonic gTablet

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Looking to flash my Rom gtablet

Hello all,

New guy just got my gtablet this week and thinking of flashing it... I have read some of the post but just getting started...

I can see the oem OS is slow and limited as far as what apps will work... I was able to get some of the flash to work and my yahoo email is not working.... but also notice that after some use the thing starts to really lag... After a power cycle all is fine... not sure if that is normal for the oem flash...

I would like to have adobe reader and some movie player that has looping.

Any help or info would be great... looking to flash as soon as I can figure out all the stuff I will need and if I can re flash back to OEM if needed...

Thanks....

Advertisements
Moreboost is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,475
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreboost View Post
Hello all,

New guy just got my gtablet this week and thinking of flashing it... I have read some of the post but just getting started...

I can see the oem OS is slow and limited as far as what apps will work... I was able to get some of the flash to work and my yahoo email is not working.... but also notice that after some use the thing starts to really lag... After a power cycle all is fine... not sure if that is normal for the oem flash...

I would like to have adobe reader and some movie player that has looping.

Any help or info would be great... looking to flash as soon as I can figure out all the stuff I will need and if I can re flash back to OEM if needed...

Thanks....
Welcome to the forums, moreboost!

This is where the magic happens..haha. check out the thread below if you haven't already. There's a lot of answers there and you can also get all the help you'll need. Its really not that hard. You'll be rooted and Rom'd in no time.

http://androidforums.com/gtablet-all-things-root/242459-how-root-install-custom-rom-fix-market-update-flash.html
__________________
My Drid does... your phne duhs...
xmr405o is offline  
Last edited by xmr405o; March 6th, 2011 at 10:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you for the quick reply. I"m having some problem getting the z4root file from XDA...


Moreboost, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Please Read: New members (those with fewer than 10 posts) are not permitted to post to development-related forums. The developer forums are intended for experienced users and developers to discuss ways to improve technical aspects related to ROMs and Software. While you may be an expert, we ask ALL users to avoid posting questions about using or installing ROMs and software in the Development Forums. To encourage this new Users can read but not post in these forums.

To ask Questions about developing your device, installing ROMs, software and themes you must go to the Q&A or General Forum.

Remember, your question has very likely been asked already, so please search before posting.

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I hope its just an activation thing...
Moreboost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
xmr405o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,153
 
Device(s): Samsung GS4 x 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 plus, Nexus 7 32gb
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,475
Thanked 1,162 Times in 770 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreboost View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. I"m having some problem getting the z4root file from XDA...


Moreboost, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Please Read: New members (those with fewer than 10 posts) are not permitted to post to development-related forums. The developer forums are intended for experienced users and developers to discuss ways to improve technical aspects related to ROMs and Software. While you may be an expert, we ask ALL users to avoid posting questions about using or installing ROMs and software in the Development Forums. To encourage this new Users can read but not post in these forums.

To ask Questions about developing your device, installing ROMs, software and themes you must go to the Q&A or General Forum.

Remember, your question has very likely been asked already, so please search before posting.

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I hope its just an activation thing...

Hey moreboost...you don't need z4root. The thread I pointed you to, start with step 5. If you're looking to flash a custom rom, then you can go straight to step 5.
xmr405o is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 58
 
Device(s): Viewsonic G-Tablet
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 86
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmr405o View Post
Hey moreboost...you don't need z4root. The thread I pointed you to, start with step 5. If you're looking to flash a custom rom, then you can go straight to step 5.
Sorry now I have to ask, what's the point of z4root at all? Am I missing something?
Aardvark1971 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
SolidOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 1,640
 
Device(s): VZ Galaxy Nexus, B&N Nook Color, Viewsonic g-Tab, Logitech Revue
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 806
Thanked 1,676 Times in 659 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark1971 View Post
Sorry now I have to ask, what's the point of z4root at all? Am I missing something?
z4root would be used if you wanted to root your device to install apps on the stock TnT interface but NOT flash a new ROM. however, not many people seem to be going that route as the custom ROMs are much better. i am going to edit the crap out of my original "how to" thread sometime today, it's starting to get confusing with all the optional steps.
__________________
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Liquid ICS 1.4
B&N Nook Color: CyanogenMod 7.1
Logitech Revue: EOL'd by Logitech, but not by me.
Viewsonic g-Tab: ICS Beta - Team DRH
RETIRED: Moto Droid1, HTC Thunderbolt, Moto Droid Razr
SolidOrange is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SolidOrange For This Useful Post:
Aardvark1971 (March 8th, 2011)
Old March 13th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Ok

Trying to flash the new ROM. I tried to follow your instructions from #5 but its refering to use Clockworks. So I downloaded the files and unzipped. installed the files to the root dir. I also downloaded the flash for the ROM and unzipped that into the Android folder...

When I go to reboot the tablet after powering down... I get some msg saying something like update button pressed over the viewsonic screen with the birds... I hold the buttons until it goes to a black screen with a box and green download arrow... after that the system reboots and I'm back to were I started
Moreboost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

not sure what I did but got clockwork to go... making backup
Moreboost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

LOL Thanks all I was able to flash the ROM and fix the market.. Looking to find out more... So far so good.
Moreboost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Viewsonic gTablet
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.