Go Back   Android Forums > Archived Android Devices > Archived Tablets > ViewSonic ViewBook 730

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 28th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Infuse
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Got one, now what?

Bought one of these for my wife. I'm not a big fan of being locked into limited access. The device isn't really locked down but the OS is heavily tilted to Amazon sources. Before I go the route that eliminates the warentee and root the device I'm looking for advice on optimizing as is.

I tried to access the regular Android app market but in the process of setting up the login the app market it got stuck in a loop where it attempts to login and then go back to the previous page where I wasn't logged in.

I've a number of apps I use on my infuze that i'd like to install on my wifes 730. However the Amazon App store is like the device and specifially skewed towards making Amazon Money and does make the free apps readily accessable. You can get to them but you need to know what you are doing. My wife has only a minimal IT comfort level thus would easily be frustrated by such a system. I'm working with it and I'm achieving my goals but I figure that there must be those that have found ways to simplify issues and to smoothly get around skewed setups. In particular I find the issues I'm haveing accessing the main Android aps site suspicious in light of how the rest of the device is skewed to amazon only sources.

sponsored links
Old October 29th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

I just got one of these as well. They appear to be identical to the Creative Ziio 7 which is also built by Zii labs (Creative company).
Some have been able to root the device, but, so far, I've only been able to get temp root - which is actually OK. That's allowed me to install Android market, gmail, maps, etc. The fingerprint seems to allow a good set of apps so I'm getting happier about the device.
There are lots of things we need to do with these tablets to spruce them up but the basic hardware is pretty good so I'm optimistic. It's been many years since I did much with linux but as I learn more about Android it's coming back to me.

Oh, forgot to mention: Getting ADB to connect is a little tricky as you need to make an addition to the USB driver inf file (for windows). Just search on viewbook 730 root and you'll get to the discussions. You can get some other entries by searching the ziio 7 root.
Last edited by americandane; October 29th, 2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: added adb connect info

Go Back   Android Forums > Archived Android Devices > Archived Tablets > ViewSonic ViewBook 730