Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > LG Viper 4G > Viper 4G LTE - All Things Root

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree7Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 16th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,109
 
Device(s): LG G Flex, LG Spirit, LG Motion, LG F3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 238
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,077 Posts
Default [CWM][WIP][DEV] Clockworkmod Recovery for the LG Viper 4G LGLS840

Ok this is a tester only as I still need a few things to verify a few things.

I need a dump of the stock recovery, will need root, LG USB drivers installed, and know how to use adb.

in adb shell or term on the phone:
from from pc/cmd:
Code:
adb shell
or from term on phone:
Code:
su
Code:
busybox dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/stockrecovery.img
I also need hexdump for misc:
Code:
su
Code:
hexdump -C /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 > /sdcard/hex-misc.txt
And a copy of the vold.fstab located in system/etc

You can either zip all of this together n upload n link me, or uplaod the recovery.img n pastbin the others.

And now for the test cwm;

cwmrecovery.img

  1. Download
  2. unzip
  3. Have LG USB driver installed
  4. connect phone up via USB
  5. have debugging enable
  6. have in internet connect mode (charge mode if internet mode isnt an option)
  7. Run the follow from adb shell:
Code:
adb push cwmrecovery.img /data/local/tmp/cwmrecovery.img
Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p27 /system
Code:
rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
Code:
rm /system/recovery-from-boot.p
Code:
busybox dd if=/data/local/tmp/cwmrecovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13
Code:
rm /data/local/tmp/cwmrecovery.img
Code:
reboot recovery
Last report I got back, it all works great but booting to recovery with the button combo it wont reboot to system. A battery pull is required to boot normally.

wikidd's fake flash maybe a safer method for the non-savvy.

Advertisements
__________________
Official Donate link if you like my work and would like to show your appreciation and support. All donations are greatly appreciated!!

PlayfulDroidz Wiki
UPP
PlayfulGod is offline  
Last edited by PlayfulGod; July 30th, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 23rd, 2012, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is this stable? any bugs or anything?
jdiflam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): LG Viper 4G LTE,LG Marquee
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Here you go PlayfulGod all three you needed in 1 rar file. Here

stockrecovery.img
hex-misc.txt
vold.fstab

waiting on some mods for the phone if anything else i could do let me know.
jmendezsr25 is offline  
Last edited by jmendezsr25; June 23rd, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): LG Viper 4G LTE,LG Marquee
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

attempted to do CWM Installer LG Viper 4G

Device is Rooted
USB Debugging is Enabled

Quote:
CWM Recovery for the LG Connect 4G
One click Built by mtmichaelson
Testing and Help by markolo25 and Rlwallace
Exploit Built by djrbliss
CWM made by shabbypenguin
Data wipe fix by thecubed and PlayfulGod



Clockwork Mod Recovery
Press any key to continue . . .
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
Device found.
Pushing CWM to Phone
3598 KB/s (5758976 bytes in 1.563s)
link failed No such file or directory
Rebooting device
Waiting for device to reboot
Pushing Exploit
cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied
Rebooting device again
Waiting for device to reboot
Installing CWM Recovery
remount failed: Operation not permitted
rm failed for /system/etc/install-recovery.sh, Read-only file system
rm failed for /system/recovery-from-boot.p, Read-only file system
/dev/block/mmcblk0p13: cannot open for write: Permission denied
Removing Trash
rm failed for /data/local.prop, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/gpscfg/*, No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /data/: Operation not permitted
Finished Recovery!!!
Press any key to continue
jmendezsr25 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmendezsr25 For This Useful Post:
craftblack (February 4th, 2014)
Old June 24th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,109
 
Device(s): LG G Flex, LG Spirit, LG Motion, LG F3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 238
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,077 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendezsr25 View Post
attempted to do CWM Installer LG Viper 4G

Device is Rooted
USB Debugging is Enabled
Was just informed the viper doesnt use the same root method as its cousins do but uses ratc instead. Making the needed changes n testing in irc atm.
PlayfulGod is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Hi!

I'm working on this phone as well. Out of something like 32 different partitions, how did you determine those to be the correct ones? lol Just curious, because I'm new to LG's scheme of things. I've been modding on Samsung and Moto for a while now, but this is my first LG.

Thanks,
~WickiD~
wickidd is offline  
Last edited by wickidd; July 2nd, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Do you think you can give me a copy of the .img file for the Viper's current update? My phone's bricked at the bootanimation because I changed my su binary with TB.
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwinston27 View Post
Do you think you can give me a copy of the .img file for the Viper's current update? My phone's bricked at the bootanimation because I changed my su binary with TB.
1. How did you change your su binary using TB (which I'm assuming is Titanium Backup?)? I haven't used it in over a year or so, but I only recalling it having a busybox updater, which you can use for su privileges, but I don't recall it actually changing the su binary, unless they've changed it.

2. Sounds like a soft brick, and a normal update should do the trick.

2. Do you know how to use adb? If you do, you can reboot your phone into recovery using that, and try doing the update from there:

update.zip

Just put this on your sd card as update.zip and make sure it's in the phone when you reboot to recovery via adb, and the magick will happen from there. I just did this with my girl's viper, and it took a good 15 mins to boot after the update because it was recreating the cache (which I wiped while in recovery after the update), so don't be alarmed at the slow reboot, but the update took that way on hers.

Hope that helps
wickidd is offline  
Last edited by wickidd; July 16th, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
Ok this is a tester only as I still need a few things to verify a few things.

I need a dump of the stock recovery, will need root, LG USB drivers installed, and know how to use adb.

in adb shell or term on the phone:
from from pc/cmd:
Code:
adb shell
or from term on phone:
Code:
su
Code:
busybox dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/sdcard/stockrecovery.img
I also need hexdump for misc:
Code:
su
Code:
hexdump -C /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 > /sdcard/hex-misc.txt
And a copy of the vold.fstab located in system/etc

You can either zip all of this together n upload n link me, or uplaod the recovery.img n pastbin the others.

And now for the test cwm;

CWM-Installer-LG-Viper-4G.zip

  1. Download
  2. unzip
  3. Have LG USB driver installed
  4. connect phone up via USB
  5. have debugging enable
  6. have in internet connect mode (charge mode if internet mode isnt an option)
  7. run the CWM-Installer.bat
Thanks for the updated link in the OP!
wickidd is offline  
Last edited by wickidd; July 27th, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My phone works perfectly right now, but would I be able to install the update.zip with the MS840 CWM I flashed? Is there any way to access fastboot menu on the LG Viper? In case I need to flash the stock recovery.img?
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Last edited by ryanwinston27; July 25th, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwinston27 View Post
My phone works perfectly right now, but would I be able to install the update.zip with the MS840 CWM I flashed? Is there any way to access fastboot menu on the LG Viper? In case I need to flash the stock recovery.img?
No and no.
wickidd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well I have flash_image on my phone, how do I use the stock recovery I saved?
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwinston27 View Post
Well I have flash_image on my phone, how do I use the stock recovery I saved?
Is it working?
wickidd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,109
 
Device(s): LG G Flex, LG Spirit, LG Motion, LG F3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 238
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,077 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickidd View Post
Hi!

I'm working on this phone as well. Out of something like 32 different partitions, how did you determine those to be the correct ones? lol Just curious, because I'm new to LG's scheme of things. I've been modding on Samsung and Moto for a while now, but this is my first LG.

Thanks,
~WickiD~
boot and recovery are the same as the other 840's. Unpack the stock recovery.img, looking the ramdisk, etc, recovery.fstab, or may been recovery.mmc.fstab, either or it will tell you the mounts n partitions. Didnt realize I deleted or moved the zip. I will reupload it
PlayfulGod is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,109
 
Device(s): LG G Flex, LG Spirit, LG Motion, LG F3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 238
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,077 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickidd View Post
Hi!

I'm working on this phone as well. Out of something like 32 different partitions, how did you determine those to be the correct ones? lol Just curious, because I'm new to LG's scheme of things. I've been modding on Samsung and Moto for a while now, but this is my first LG.

Thanks,
~WickiD~
boot and recovery are the same as the other 840's. Unpack the stock recovery.img, looking the ramdisk, etc, recovery.fstab, or may been recovery.mmc.fstab, either or it will tell you the mounts n partitions.

The ratc wont run correctly from a script, I will post a link to the img and it can be flashed with dd.
PlayfulGod is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I tried to do "cd /sdcard" then "flash_image /sdcard/recovery.img" but something about partition errors pops up.
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Wow I feel stupid looking back on the rudeness of the post I had written lol.
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Last edited by ryanwinston27; February 3rd, 2014 at 05:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwinston27 View Post
You just bricked my phone with those codes! IT KEEPS DOING THE LG BOOT FLASH OVER AND OVER!!!!! THANKS ALOT I HAVE NO PHONE ANYMORE! FIX MY PHONE I CAN'T GET ANY RECOVERY AND IT WONT BOOT!
I think, being a dev, I speak for both PlayfulGod, and I, when I say, EXCUSE US?? We didn't put a gun to your head and tell you to do that! You did that ALL ON YOUR OWN! If you got partition errors, WHY DID YOU REBOOT?? You should have put stuff back the way it was, BEFORE you rebooted! Your lack of knowledge, is NOT our responsibility! We will not be held liable for ANYthing YOU do to YOUR OWN PHONE!

Sorry bud, YOU acted the fool, YOU deal with the consequences!

Later,
~WickiD~
n0ve likes this.
wickidd is offline  
Last edited by wickidd; July 26th, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wickidd For This Useful Post:
tonylc74 (August 11th, 2012)
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Sorry if I offended and accused but I was really upset, as my phone has no way of starting back up...please gie me some help on this? :/ I'm at a standstill right now and I would really appreciate it if you could help, maybe give the firmware flashable with Odin? Please? :'(
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Last edited by ryanwinston27; July 26th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,109
 
Device(s): LG G Flex, LG Spirit, LG Motion, LG F3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 238
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,077 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwinston27 View Post
Sorry if I offended and accused but I was really upset, as my phone has no way of starting back up...please gie me some help on this? :/ I'm at a standstill right now and I would really appreciate it if you could help, maybe give the firmware flashable with Odin? Please? :'(
ODIN only works with Samsungs. I have the tot file for this phone for LGNPST, but not the dll for it, so its useless atm.

You can try to get it into download mode n see if the LG Mobile Support Tool will pick it up n update it.

Other than that I dont know of a solution until the dll for the ls840 is available.

And where did anyone say to use flash_image???
PlayfulGod is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

As my actions have proved, I am not an expert with Androids, although they are my favorite operating system. First off, I would like to apologize to you and wickidd for my outburst, it's just that my parents are going to kill me if I don't get my phone fixed because they need to call me... would you be willing to give me the tot file? I am horrible with these phones, and am completely screwed as I do not have a boot.img or a recovery.img right now. :/ I know my phone goes into download mode but as of now there isn't an update for the Viper.
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwinston27 View Post
Sorry if I offended and accused but I was really upset, as my phone has no way of starting back up...please gie me some help on this? :/ I'm at a standstill right now and I would really appreciate it if you could help, maybe give the firmware flashable with Odin? Please? :'(
Yeah, same apology from me. As you see, I've edited my post some. I really don't care for being accused of anything.. And PG is right, I asked if it was working, as in, had you tested it. I never once said TO test it. Lol wow..

But hey, PG, is Odin not compatible with the download mode on these?
wickidd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,109
 
Device(s): LG G Flex, LG Spirit, LG Motion, LG F3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 238
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,077 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickidd View Post
Yeah, same apology from me. As you see, I've edited my post some. I really don't care for being accused of anything.. And PG is right, I asked if it was working, as in, had you tested it. I never once said TO test it. Lol wow..

But hey, PG, is Odin not compatible with the download mode on these?
ODIN is for Samsungs
PlayfulGod is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
ODIN is for Samsungs
I was just wondering if it's ever been tried, lol.
wickidd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #25 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
boot and recovery are the same as the other 840's. Unpack the stock recovery.img, looking the ramdisk, etc, recovery.fstab, or may been recovery.mmc.fstab, either or it will tell you the mounts n partitions. Didnt realize I deleted or moved the zip. I will reupload it
Yeah, I did all of that, and built a cwmr, after making a couple of mods, but it didn't boot into the recovery. I'm wondering if the recovery doesn't have to be built on the stock boot part. I'm thinking that part has the key combo builtin and defined to kick it over into the hard factory reset, and that the hard reset area is where we can put cwmr. Just food for thought..

Peace,
~WickiD~
wickidd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,109
 
Device(s): LG G Flex, LG Spirit, LG Motion, LG F3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 238
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,077 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickidd View Post
Yeah, I did all of that, and built a cwmr, after making a couple of mods, but it didn't boot into the recovery. I'm wondering if the recovery doesn't have to be built on the stock boot part. I'm thinking that part has the key combo builtin and defined to kick it over into the hard factory reset, and that the hard reset area is where we can put cwmr. Just food for thought..

Peace,
~WickiD~
umm no lol, if that were the case it wouldnt boot into cwm at all with the button combo. As it is could work just fine, would just have to pull the battery and then boot up after flashing something in cwm, but it will never get made official that way, and thats always my goal when doing CWM for a device.
PlayfulGod is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
umm no lol, if that were the case it wouldnt boot into cwm at all with the button combo. As it is could work just fine, would just have to pull the battery and then boot up after flashing something in cwm, but it will never get made official that way, and thats always my goal when doing CWM for a device.
The MS840's CWM could not mount /system, but could be accessed through the factory reset. By the way, using the LG Support Tool would reinstall the stock recovery right? And could I update in download mode? Basically, am I screwed over with this or can I fix it?
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Last edited by ryanwinston27; July 27th, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #28 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,109
 
Device(s): LG G Flex, LG Spirit, LG Motion, LG F3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 238
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,077 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwinston27 View Post
The MS840's CWM could not mount /system, but could be accessed through the factory reset. By the way, using the LG Support Tool would reinstall the stock recovery right? And could I update in download mode? Basically, am I screwed over with this or can I fix it?
Yea, system, data, n cache are diff than the ms840. Put in dl mode n try it.
PlayfulGod is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #29 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
Yea, system, data, n cache are diff than the ms840. Put in dl mode n try it.
/data and /cache mounted fine, just not /system. And I put in DL mode. When I had tried in the past there was no update but this time said there was, hope it reboots.

EDIT: Can't flash firmware, but found that the LG Support tool has recovery phone option for Viper... if only I knew how to use it. It keeps telling me check Phone Model and MSN.
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Last edited by ryanwinston27; July 27th, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwinston27 View Post
/data and /cache mounted fine, just not /system. And I put in DL mode. When I had tried in the past there was no update but this time said there was, hope it reboots.

EDIT: Can't flash firmware, but found that the LG Support tool has recovery phone option for Viper... if only I knew how to use it. It keeps telling me check Phone Model and MSN.
The MSN, I think (it might be the other number that support tools asks for - you only need one or the other), you can retrieve from under the battery.
Write it down somewhere, then put the phone back together and get it into download mode.
Load up support tools, and put it in recover phone mode.
When that popup comes up, set the model number to the correct one, and type in the MSN, and click check. Now keep your fingers crossed, knock on wood, prayer helps, lol, whatever.. Just hope it takes.. Try a couple times if you have to, but remember, when you go to boot up the phone after, don't freak. Give it about 20 minutes on the logo screen, and it should come up.

Give that a shot and let me know what happens.

Peace,
~WickiD~
wickidd is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 27th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
wikidd's fake flash maybe a safer method for the non-savvy.
fake flash? lol

btw, do you still have your update-script (or updater-script) from your original update.zip that you had posted in the OP? (feel free to pm me with it if you rather not post it here)

I'm curious as to how you did the recovery flash that way.

Thanks,
~WickiD~
wickidd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Can the LG Viper update when there is actually a new update while the phone is in download mode?
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickidd View Post
The MSN, I think (it might be the other number that support tools asks for - you only need one or the other), you can retrieve from under the battery.
Write it down somewhere, then put the phone back together and get it into download mode.
Load up support tools, and put it in recover phone mode.
When that popup comes up, set the model number to the correct one, and type in the MSN, and click check. Now keep your fingers crossed, knock on wood, prayer helps, lol, whatever.. Just hope it takes.. Try a couple times if you have to, but remember, when you go to boot up the phone after, don't freak. Give it about 20 minutes on the logo screen, and it should come up.

Give that a shot and let me know what happens.

Peace,
~WickiD~
Tomorrow I will try... unfortunately for me I've tried with both "ESN" numbers and also input the serial number... any tips about where to find my MSN? Behind the battery I know, but which number? It kept asking for the MSN? :/

It downloads the update and says it will reboot but it doesn't... hope it will work...
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Last edited by ryanwinston27; July 28th, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #34 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwinston27 View Post
Tomorrow I will try... unfortunately for me I've tried with both "ESN" numbers and also input the serial number... any tips about where to find my MSN? Behind the battery I know, but which number? It kept asking for the MSN? :/
You still got the box? EUIN? IUEN? I can't remember off hand, but it's something like that (the phone I work on isn't mine so I barely ever actually have my hands on it). That number works well but MSN worked when I had to restore her phone.
wickidd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #35 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickidd View Post
You still got the box? EUIN? IUEN? I can't remember off hand, but it's something like that (the phone I work on isn't mine so I barely ever actually have my hands on it). That number works well but MSN worked when I had to restore her phone.

It says something about "MEID (ESN) -hex" and "MEID (ESN) -dec". Which one do I input?

EDIT: It works but I'm not sure if it's gonna reflash firmware back?
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Last edited by ryanwinston27; July 28th, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #36 (permalink)
New Member
 
libertus77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): Moto Droid 43VRRootedStock, B&N Nook Color CM9 Unofficial on EMMC
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Just wondering how this is working for everyone. I know it is still in the testing phase, but I'm not hearing much talk about it being used and functioning well.

Not trying to question your work PlayfulGod, just desparate to have a recovery and nervous as this is my first LG after having Motorolas and Samsungs with more solid brick recovery methods than LG seems to have.

Thanks for your work on this!!!
libertus77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #37 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey everybody, just a quick but important question... when my phone was working I used an app called wifi tether for root users. I used this app on my Viper. Unlike foxfi, this app did not activate the official hotspot. I am currently on a business plan and have already gotten a warning from sprint for using the portable hotspot feature. I have asked them if a third party tethering app like wifi tether for root users could be detected, they said as long as it does not activate the native hotspot its not detectable. Is this correct? Because if the business plan is canceled my parents will literally kill me.
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #38 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwinston27 View Post
Hey everybody, just a quick but important question... when my phone was working I used an app called wifi tether for root users. I used this app on my Viper. Unlike foxfi, this app did not activate the official hotspot. I am currently on a business plan and have already gotten a warning from sprint for using the portable hotspot feature. I have asked them if a third party tethering app like wifi tether for root users could be detected, they said as long as it does not activate the native hotspot its not detectable. Is this correct? Because if the business plan is canceled my parents will literally kill me.
Above question answered: should be the hex one. This question answered, no. The toaster you saw was from your phone, not from Sprint. And why, in the blue h***, would you ask sprint something like that?? Are you trying to get that app taken off our market?? If it undermines sprint making money, they'll get Google to block it from Sprint users!

Wow..

Dude, unless you chill, I'm done trying to help you directly..

Now, I hope, for your sake, you can get mobile support tools to take..
wickidd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertus77 View Post
Just wondering how this is working for everyone. I know it is still in the testing phase, but I'm not hearing much talk about it being used and functioning well.

Not trying to question your work PlayfulGod, just desparate to have a recovery and nervous as this is my first LG after having Motorolas and Samsungs with more solid brick recovery methods than LG seems to have.

Thanks for your work on this!!!
It's in the works by a handful of people including PG and myself. (all separate groups/people tho) Stay tuned for more information.
wickidd is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wickidd For This Useful Post:
libertus77 (July 29th, 2012)
Old July 29th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
libertus77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): Moto Droid 43VRRootedStock, B&N Nook Color CM9 Unofficial on EMMC
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Thanks! Definately will!
libertus77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #41 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
n0ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Upstate New York
Gender: Male
Posts: 815
 
Device(s): LG Viper 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 288
Thanked 247 Times in 138 Posts
Send a message via AIM to n0ve n0veGG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwinston27 View Post
As my actions have proved, I am not an expert with Androids, although they are my favorite operating system. First off, I would like to apologize to you and wickidd for my outburst, it's just that my parents are going to kill me if I don't get my phone fixed because they need to call me... would you be willing to give me the tot file? I am horrible with these phones, and am completely screwed as I do not have a boot.img or a recovery.img right now. :/ I know my phone goes into download mode but as of now there isn't an update for the Viper.
You don't belong in the root section modifying a phone that hasn't even shown stable releases...Hate to break it to ya but you need to research first...see under the all things root guide, the SHOW ME BUTTON, it's for people like you...so you don't end up panicky afterwards...ALSO, ODIN does work for non samsung phones, if u can gather the correct .md5/tar
__________________
Remember, not everyone here shares the same knowledge, Yet we all had to start somewhere
"You cant keep it unless you give it a w a y"
If anyone here has helped you out, click Thanks!, Speaking for myself, that one click goes a long way. =)
n0ve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
n0ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Upstate New York
Gender: Male
Posts: 815
 
Device(s): LG Viper 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 288
Thanked 247 Times in 138 Posts
Send a message via AIM to n0ve n0veGG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
ODIN is for Samsungs
Designed for samsungs, compatible with many other phones, have used it on HTC, as well as Sanyo.
n0ve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #43 (permalink)
ROM Developer
Thread Author (OP)
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,109
 
Device(s): LG G Flex, LG Spirit, LG Motion, LG F3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 238
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,077 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ve View Post
You don't belong in the root section modifying a phone that hasn't even shown stable releases...Hate to break it to ya but you need to research first...see under the all things root guide, the SHOW ME BUTTON, it's for people like you...so you don't end up panicky afterwards...ALSO, ODIN does work for non samsung phones, if u can gather the correct .md5/tar
If that is so the md5/tar would have to be created for it as LG itself doesn't use ODIN they use LGNPST or KDZ.
PlayfulGod is offline  
Last edited by PlayfulGod; July 30th, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #44 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

First and foremost, I apologize to EVERYBODY in this forum for my impulsive behavior and lack of knowledge of the Android OS. Wickidd, I should have explained the tethering part more clearly... I told them that my friend downloaded Barnicle Tether (which was already removed by Sprint), and asked them if a third party hotspot, not mentioning currently working tether apps, would charge me extra if they did not activate the native hotspot.
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #45 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 41
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ve View Post
Designed for samsungs, compatible with many other phones, have used it on HTC, as well as Sanyo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
If that is do the md5/tar would have to be created for it as LG itself doesn't use ODIN they use LGNPST or KDZ.

Guys, I don't want this to become a war or anything, so let me bottom line it, is Odin compatible with LG's download mode? As in will Odin flash this phone with it being in download mode? I can make the md5/tar combo, which will help Ryan (as well as half the people that have bricked their phone due to playing with the previous cwm release) as well if it will.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwinston27 View Post
First and foremost, I apologize to EVERYBODY in this forum for my impulsive behavior and lack of knowledge of the Android OS. Wickidd, I should have explained the tethering part more clearly... I told them that my friend downloaded Barnicle Tether (which was already removed by Sprint), and asked them if a third party hotspot, not mentioning currently working tether apps, would charge me extra if they did not activate the native hotspot.
Still man, never a good idea to ask about anything like that, when it comes to Sprint. And pending the answer to my above question to the other guys, I may be able to help you out, as well as other people in the same situation. Speaking of which, I've read in other forums that the mobile support tools have worked. I'm guessing it's hit or miss. Did you ever get it to work?
wickidd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
n0ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Upstate New York
Gender: Male
Posts: 815
 
Device(s): LG Viper 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 288
Thanked 247 Times in 138 Posts
Send a message via AIM to n0ve n0veGG
Default

Anyone who is familar with CWM, when you make a NANDROID, you DO get .md5 / .tar files , OR you can convert them. Im just simply clarifying that the ODIN tool DOES in fact work with other models than samsung. Not trying to start a war whatsoever lol, just giving my input.

EDIT: as far as hotspot, Definitely don't ask sprint about that lol. I'm going to look into this myself and see which apps work / don't. I believe there may be a build.prop line I need to edit first...
n0ve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
n0ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Upstate New York
Gender: Male
Posts: 815
 
Device(s): LG Viper 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 288
Thanked 247 Times in 138 Posts
Send a message via AIM to n0ve n0veGG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwinston27 View Post
First and foremost, I apologize to EVERYBODY in this forum for my impulsive behavior and lack of knowledge of the Android OS. Wickidd, I should have explained the tethering part more clearly... I told them that my friend downloaded Barnicle Tether (which was already removed by Sprint), and asked them if a third party hotspot, not mentioning currently working tether apps, would charge me extra if they did not activate the native hotspot.
When rooted, apps like barnicle tether, don't show up on Sprint's end as a hot spot, just data usage..
n0ve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #48 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Unfortunately the Support tool didn't work for me... my phone stayed in download mode after recovery phone... if Odin does in fact support LG's, that would be a lifesaver.
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
n0ve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Upstate New York
Gender: Male
Posts: 815
 
Device(s): LG Viper 4G LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 288
Thanked 247 Times in 138 Posts
Send a message via AIM to n0ve n0veGG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwinston27 View Post
Unfortunately the Support tool didn't work for me... my phone stayed in download mode after recovery phone... if Odin does in fact support LG's, that would be a lifesaver.
ODIN will READ/Recognize your phone in download mode, its just a matter of gathering the correct files, I'm trying to get my DEV buddies from prior phone to take a look at this..
n0ve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #50 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 29
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ve View Post
ODIN will READ/Recognize your phone in download mode, its just a matter of gathering the correct files, I'm trying to get my DEV buddies from prior phone to take a look at this..

My phone doesn't have the boot image or recovery image, flashing the firmware with Odin would fix my Phone?

EDIT: Nevermind, my free replacement just arrived.
ryanwinston27 is offline  
Last edited by ryanwinston27; August 6th, 2012 at 11:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > LG Viper 4G > Viper 4G LTE - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.