Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Virgin Mobile

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 17th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,344
 
Device(s): Samsung EPIC 4G, Asus EeePad Transformer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 73
Thanked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Default Virgin Mobile 4G WiMax?

Since Virgin Mobile is owned by Sprint, would you switch over if they offered ones of the 4G phones.
? Even if they charged $10 extra for 4G like they do for Blackberry services, $35 for 300 minutes, unlilimted text, and unlimited 3G/4G data with no contract and no activation fee would entice me.

Advertisements
FreakyLocz14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ninja_reject's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 537
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia Ion, HTC Inspire 4G(retired), LG Optimus V(retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 322
Thanked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to ninja_reject
Cry Um . . .

Not sure what makes you think virgin mobile could handle 4g. They can't even keep our 3g on. I had to switch.
ninja_reject is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ninja_reject For This Useful Post:
goshjosh (April 22nd, 2012), lifeblows10 (April 21st, 2012)
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,344
 
Device(s): Samsung EPIC 4G, Asus EeePad Transformer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 73
Thanked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_reject View Post
Not sure what makes you think virgin mobile could handle 4g. They can't even keep our 3g on. I had to switch.
The 4G network is managed and maintained by Clearwire. Virgin would just have to get permission from Sprint to access those towers that Sprint and Clear own.
FreakyLocz14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 59
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy III
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 63
Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Sprint doesn't own any towers...they sold them all.

Sprint Sells Cell Towers For $670 Million
Investor22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,344
 
Device(s): Samsung EPIC 4G, Asus EeePad Transformer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 73
Thanked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investor22 View Post
Sprint doesn't own any towers...they sold them all.

Sprint Sells Cell Towers For $670 Million
It's 4G WiMax network use different towers than its CDMA network does. Sprint and Clearwire own those towers.
FreakyLocz14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile I would switch

TO the person that is criticising the 3G integrity of VIrgin Mobile, be aware that when you have a phone direct from Sprint, you get to roam on all of Sprints CDMA partners (which include Verizon). If you have a phone from Virgin Mobile, there are no roaming capabilities. It will only work off of a Sprint tower.

For myself, I would switch if Virgin Mobile began offering WiMax. I live in one of the strongest WiMax areas, and on top of that I don't travel outside the region very often so when not at home I get the strongest Sprint 3G signal. I definitely would be at a huge cost advantage if it were available. Virgin Mobile wasn't offering the Optimus yet when I made the switch to Sprint last year, otherwise I would have went with them. That being because in addition to the monthly savings on service, with Virgin Mobile I would have been able to utilize the mobile hotspot feature in the Optimus withoug having to pay the additional $29 Sprint (and all the other carriers) charge you.

I do a lot of research everytime my contract expires with my mobile service, and I can tell you, if you live in a strong signal area for Sprint and you don't travel much, Virgin Mobile is the cheapest way to go.
pezzman77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 106
 
Device(s): EVO, Optimus, Intercept
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Hell, I am paying $10/mo extra right now for my Evo, and I still don't have coverage, even though they say I am in a covered area..

I am in the process of switching from Sprint to VM, and saving $60/mo...

The Optimus that I am using is getting a great 3G signal, as good as my Evo, and same speeds.
TampaShooters is offline  
Last edited by TampaShooters; April 18th, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,344
 
Device(s): Samsung EPIC 4G, Asus EeePad Transformer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 73
Thanked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaShooters View Post
Hell, I am paying $10/mo extra right now for my Evo, and I still don't have coverage, even though they say I am in a covered area..

I am in the process of switching from Sprint to VM, and saving $60/mo...

The Optimus that I am using is getting a great 3G signal, as good as my Evo, and same speeds.
You're paying $10 extra because you have a smartphone. It has nothing to do with 4G access.
FreakyLocz14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 106
 
Device(s): EVO, Optimus, Intercept
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
You're paying $10 extra because you have a smartphone. It has nothing to do with 4G access.
Yes, I am aware of this... But, originally it was because of 4G, and was only charged on 4G smartphones... Implemented when the Evo was introduced, it was later added to ALL smartphones... So, technically it is a 4G fee.
TampaShooters is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,344
 
Device(s): Samsung EPIC 4G, Asus EeePad Transformer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 73
Thanked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaShooters View Post
Yes, I am aware of this... But, originally it was because of 4G, and was only charged on 4G smartphones... Implemented when the Evo was introduced, it was later added to ALL smartphones... So, technically it is a 4G fee.
It was never a 4G fee. The fee was because the devices had the capacity to suck a lot more data than other phones. The device also in uncapped in terms of Unlimited data usage and speeds. It was never a 4G fee, but even if it was, it's not anymore. So, technically it's not a 4G fee.
FreakyLocz14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 18th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 106
 
Device(s): EVO, Optimus, Intercept
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyLocz14 View Post
It was never a 4G fee. The fee was because the devices had the capacity to suck a lot more data than other phones. The device also in uncapped in terms of Unlimited data usage and speeds. It was never a 4G fee, but even if it was, it's not anymore. So, technically it's not a 4G fee.
Chill bro.... Everything will be OK...
TampaShooters is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 31
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Virgin Mobile will eventually become 4g, but chances are Sprint will throttle the speed with QoS. This the reason why Sprint is offering so few Android phones. Sprint needs to differentiate the brands.
rshimizu12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,344
 
Device(s): Samsung EPIC 4G, Asus EeePad Transformer
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 73
Thanked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshimizu12 View Post
Virgin Mobile will eventually become 4g, but chances are Sprint will throttle the speed with QoS. This the reason why Sprint is offering so few Android phones. Sprint needs to differentiate the brands.
They should at least get the first EVO and Galaxy S once they become last year's technology.
FreakyLocz14 is offline  
Last edited by FreakyLocz14; May 10th, 2011 at 01:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 75
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph (MIUI 1.11.25 & Cyanogemod 7 0.8 Alpha Build)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default Virgin Mobile Wiimax 4g?

4g?Wiimax?Evo 3d?
Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile tipped to begin offering WiMAX-capable devices in June | PhoneDog
MotoTriu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
marc12868's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane Valley, Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,460
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 521 (meh), HTC G2, 32GB Nexus 7.2 (AWESOME!)
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 295
Thanked 844 Times in 646 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to marc12868 Send a message via Skype™ to marc12868 marc12868@gmail.com
Default

WiMAX is what Sprint uses right now right? So that means that even if VM and Boost Mobile get WiMAX the amount of people who would even be affected by it and have improved 4g speeds would be slim. Although it is good for people that live in an area that gets WiMAX coverage, but there are just so many places that don't have it that it really isn't all that big of a thing to get excited over.
__________________
Nexus 7.2 is beautiful
Need more info or help? Feel free to create a free account and/ or check out your device specific forum. You can find a list of phones here and a list of tablets here
Need help finding your phone's/ tablet's forum? Feel free to pm one of the many staff members .
marc12868 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 01:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thebryceee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,245
 
Device(s): Nexus⁴, Evo V 4G, Rooted Kindle Fire
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 140
Thanked 233 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc12868 View Post
WiMAX is what Sprint uses right now right? So that means that even if VM and Boost Mobile get WiMAX the amount of people who would even be affected by it and have improved 4g speeds would be slim. Although it is good for people that live in an area that gets WiMAX coverage, but there are just so many places that don't have it that it really isn't all that big of a thing to get excited over.
Good thing I live in Vegas

I just read this on phonedog.com, I,shoulda known someone would already post this.
thebryceee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 02:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thebryceee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,245
 
Device(s): Nexus⁴, Evo V 4G, Rooted Kindle Fire
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 140
Thanked 233 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Woot.

Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile tipped to begin offering WiMAX-capable devices in June | PhoneDog
thebryceee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 09:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
zachavm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 272
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 51 Times in 33 Posts
Default

I just hope they don't pull the same crap that they pulled with sprint and require a $10 fee regardless of if you have 4g coverage. I live in OKC and we don't have any coverage in wimax. I'd pay $10 extra a month to have the evo v, but not if they also made me ditch my old plan. However, I'm thinking they might not change the prices/plans for two reasons. One, they just raised the prices less than a year ago. Two, the reason they would be adding 4G is to compete with T-Mobile who is taking a lot Virgin's customers. If they raise the prices with the 4G upgrade they won't win any new customers because people will just stick with T-Mobile. However, I can see them saying the new 4G plans "aren't compatible" with the old ones and requiring people to ditch their old cheaper plans.
zachavm is offline  
Last edited by zachavm; April 21st, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 116
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Touchpad (CM9 Nightly 6-24-12)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 126
Thanked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Default 4G coming to Virgin Mobile!

Virgin and Boost to go 4G, makes Sprint's WiMAX feel wanted -- Engadget

If this is true than virgin mobile hopefully will be getting the evo 3d. But would we get fast speeds and will there be a price difference?
eas014 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thebryceee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,245
 
Device(s): Nexus⁴, Evo V 4G, Rooted Kindle Fire
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 140
Thanked 233 Times in 212 Posts
Default

This has been covered Virgin Mobile 4G WiMax?

This will probably get moved to the Virgin Mobile section
thebryceee is offline  
Last edited by agentc13; April 22nd, 2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: merged posts
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:11 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: brooklyn,ny
Posts: 87
 
Device(s): HTC wildfire s(sold) Motorola triumph(retired) HTC vivid(returned) HTC one X
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to gueydejalisco
Default

i honostly hope that if VM does get the htc evo 3d they dont dumb it down with lower specs and keep the 3d element (wich i wouldnt be surprised if they all together got rid if the 3d) but still knock on wood VM does get 4g and better phones or im going to verizon
gueydejalisco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
lou61166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New Jersey
Gender: Male
Posts: 532
 
Device(s): HTC Rezound HTC Droid DNA
Carrier: Verizon/Verizon Fios Quantum 75/35

Thanks: 7
Thanked 56 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gueydejalisco View Post
i honostly hope that if VM does get the htc evo 3d they dont dumb it down with lower specs and keep the 3d element (wich i wouldnt be surprised if they all together got rid if the 3d) but still knock on wood VM does get 4g and better phones or im going to verizon
Already switched to Verizon no regrets,got the HTC Rezound,what a pleasure having superior speeds and coverage everywhere i go,sending multimedia message image audio with no issues,also having an android phone that works flawless out of the box not having to root,and switch Roms,to get VM's outdated phones to work half way good,the V is not all that bad but is just to outdated.
lou61166 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
句_句 Smurfing Awesome
 
septembersrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,743
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII-Rooted(Boost Mobile)/Samsung Galaxy Note II-MyMIUI V5(T-Mobile)
Carrier: Boost Mobile,Virgin Mobile,T-Mobile

Thanks: 636
Thanked 566 Times in 425 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to septembersrain Send a message via Skype™ to septembersrain Septembersrain1984@gmail
Default

Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile will be on WiMAX.
Their speeds will be slightly increased though as Sprint is upgrading to LTE.
Their postpaid customers will be likely upgrading to the new LTE which in turn will lessen the load on WiMAX eventually. This will help to prevent overload.
IF they had not adopted LTE, We'd likely never be seeing 4G in our prepaid sectors at all...

That's just my view on it.
__________________
ஜ۩۞۩ஜStore Manager~Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobileஜ۩۞۩ஜ
↓↓↓↓↓Bored? Come join us!↓↓↓↓↓
http://androidforums.com/forum-games/
septembersrain is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to septembersrain For This Useful Post:
kangarooant (May 2nd, 2012)
Old October 14th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

been researching virgin mobile lately and realized the HTC evo V phone they have (only 4g phone they offer) only works on wimax which sprint is doing away with very soon. (within a year).
so don't waste your time getting it it will not work very soon.

advise I keep getting from people that had sprint is to not waste your time with them. terrible coverage from what I hear. and their current 4g is only select areas. it's not nation wide like att, verizon, tmobile etc.
besides, the current 4g LTE is only considered to be 3.5G by industry experts I've read. it's not as capable as a true 4g can be.
yamaharacer is offline  
Last edited by yamaharacer; October 14th, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #25 (permalink)
句_句 Smurfing Awesome
 
septembersrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,743
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII-Rooted(Boost Mobile)/Samsung Galaxy Note II-MyMIUI V5(T-Mobile)
Carrier: Boost Mobile,Virgin Mobile,T-Mobile

Thanks: 636
Thanked 566 Times in 425 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to septembersrain Send a message via Skype™ to septembersrain Septembersrain1984@gmail
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharacer View Post
been researching virgin mobile lately and realized the HTC evo V phone they have (only 4g phone they offer) only works on wimax which sprint is doing away with very soon. (within a year).
so don't waste your time getting it it will not work very soon.

advise I keep getting from people that had sprint is to not waste your time with them. terrible coverage from what I hear. and their current 4g is only select areas. it's not nation wide like att, verizon, tmobile etc.
besides, the current 4g LTE is only considered to be 3.5G by industry experts I've read. it's not as capable as a true 4g can be.
The contract is technically not up until 2015. Though it's likely that they'll begin phasing it out beginning next year at some point.

Though next year around May-September we'll likely be getting LTE.
That's not a fact, just hearsay from the grapevine.

As for being "True 4G", None of the companies truly give what critics consider 4G speeds. They are laxed with what they can label each speed, the requirements are quite non-astringent.

Personally, I'm thinking in a year, Sprint will have fixed and improved their LTE.
I'm looking forward to the SGIII...

I bet that's going to Boost Mobile.
I wonder what Virgin Mobile will get?
septembersrain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharacer View Post
...only works on wimax which sprint is doing away with very soon. (within a year).
Building on what septembersrain points out, the contract with Clearwire runs through the end of 2015 - that's more than 3 years from now. That's not "soon". Any Wi-Max phone bought today will continue to work just fine for a long time to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharacer View Post
it's not nation wide like att, verizon, tmobile etc.
Nobody, not Verizon, not AT&T, has a "nationwide" LTE network. None of the major U.S. network operators have completed their initial LTE build out. Verizon and AT&T have more cities than Sprint now, but the build out is ongoing and the gap will close. (T-Mobile is barely getting started on building out LTE and is dead last in the LTE build-out race. I'm not sure why you included them.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharacer View Post
the current 4g LTE is only considered to be 3.5G by industry experts I've read. it's not as capable as a true 4g can be.
The definition of "true 4G" is changed by the ITU every five minutes due to pressure from member nations who are pressured by their big network operators. It's not worth worrying about whether something is 3.5G or 4G or "real 4G" since the ITU keeps bending to pressure and changing the definition.

I don't care if it's "9G", I just care about being able to consistently achieve great download and upload speeds. The underlying technology and nomenclature is just a distraction and often times nothing more than baloney from the Marketing dept.
tcomotcom is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tcomotcom For This Useful Post:
septembersrain (October 16th, 2012)
Old October 15th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by septembersrain View Post
Personally, I'm thinking in a year, Sprint will have fixed and improved their LTE.
What's wrong with it now? I realize Sprint has LTE available in fewer cities compared to Verizon or AT&T, but in those cities where Sprint has LTE up and running, what about Sprint LTE needs to be fixed?
tcomotcom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #28 (permalink)
句_句 Smurfing Awesome
 
septembersrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,743
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII-Rooted(Boost Mobile)/Samsung Galaxy Note II-MyMIUI V5(T-Mobile)
Carrier: Boost Mobile,Virgin Mobile,T-Mobile

Thanks: 636
Thanked 566 Times in 425 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to septembersrain Send a message via Skype™ to septembersrain Septembersrain1984@gmail
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcomotcom View Post
What's wrong with it now? I realize Sprint has LTE available in fewer cities compared to Verizon or AT&T, but in those cities where Sprint has LTE up and running, what about Sprint LTE needs to be fixed?
They just need to expand and stabilize. There are quite a few issues with their 4G dropping signal.
They are decommissioning the Nextel towers right?
I'm thinking those will be converted to LTE towers or repeaters for it.

These would be the improvements I think. =]
septembersrain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 462
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Default

WiMAX has been pointless since using my Evo for 5 months...same thing as 3g, don't see the difference
MT Rotor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 135
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Asus TF300
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 58
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Default

WiMax has be awesome in NYC. Consistently getting 15Mbps in my apartment. Often get at least 3Mbps on the road. Lately the 4G speed has been deteriorating for me. The ONLY place I can't get good 4G is in Flushing, NY now. I went there twice the past two weeks, I could only get 100kbps down, but 1Mbps up.
hchen42 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,720
 
Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 5, Nokia Lumia 520, iPad Air, Nook HD+, HP Touchpad w/ CM10 and Nook Color (previous
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 129
Thanked 579 Times in 375 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcomotcom View Post
Building on what septembersrain points out, the contract with Clearwire runs through the end of 2015 - that's more than 3 years from now. That's not "soon". Any Wi-Max phone bought today will continue to work just fine for a long time to come.
Agreed, WiMax will run at least 3 more years and, in addition, it appears part of the deal with Softbank buying Sprint is to completely buyout WiMax -- meaning Sprint can keep WiMax even longer. Though, my understanding, the long range plan is to convert Clearwire over to LTE -- using the excess Clearwire bandwidth to improve Sprint's LTE service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcomotcom View Post
Nobody, not Verizon, not AT&T, has a "nationwide" LTE network. None of the major U.S. network operators have completed their initial LTE build out. Verizon and AT&T have more cities than Sprint now, but the build out is ongoing and the gap will close. (T-Mobile is barely getting started on building out LTE and is dead last in the LTE build-out race. I'm not sure why you included them.)
I think the main point is he said "4G" and not LTE -- and by that standard T-Mobile does have the largest "4G Network". As you point out, what is considered "4G" at this point is a moving target. Both AT&T and T-Mobile have used HSPA+ to mean 4G and, in many cities, HSPA+ speeds are similar to the LTE speeds you get from AT&T or Verizon (based on fastest mobile networks study done by PC Mag).

I do agree, even counting WiMax and HSPA+ as 4G, no network has nationwide 4G. And, counting only LTE, Verizon has by far the largest LTE network. Hopefully Sprint and T-Mobile, especially after T-Mobile's plans to merge with MetroPCS, will be able to start implementing their LTE networks quickly. Or, at least, I feel that way as I feel we need strong competition in the mobile phone market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcomotcom View Post
The definition of "true 4G" is changed by the ITU every five minutes due to pressure from member nations who are pressured by their big network operators. It's not worth worrying about whether something is 3.5G or 4G or "real 4G" since the ITU keeps bending to pressure and changing the definition.

I don't care if it's "9G", I just care about being able to consistently achieve great download and upload speeds. The underlying technology and nomenclature is just a distraction and often times nothing more than baloney from the Marketing dept.
And I think this is the point for most people. I had an Evo V for about 3 weeks, then returned it to switch to a Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile. I've had no serious regrets (though there have been, as is typical, minor issues that I've preferred on VM). I like not having to turn "4G" on and off, to conserve battery life, but pretty much always (in the areas I live and use my phone) being able to get similar speeds to what I got from WiMax. I also don't miss being occasionally dropped to "dialup speeds" in some areas (particularly in buildings) where I could not get a WiMax signal, as VM 3G speeds tended to be slow where I live.

To me, the trick is being able to find a mobile plan you are happy with, at a price point you are willing to pay, and getting speeds you find acceptable. Unfortunately, with mobile networks, it seems hard to really find what will work best for you -- especially with how widely coverage and connection speeds can vary between carriers.
mogelijk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Virgin Mobile
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.