Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Virgin Mobile

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree8Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #51 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,458
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus HSPA+, Nook HD+, HP Touchpad w/ CM10 and Nook Color (previously rooted)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 123
Thanked 484 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAfnan View Post
Hey if I switched to tmobile would you recommend the htc amaze, the galaxy s2 or sensation? Is it really that great??!!
Personally, I'd go for the Google Nexus 4. The T-Mobile version of the S2 is a very good phone, just there is a nice advantage to getting a brand new phone with no bloatware, that will get Android updates as they are released by Google, over the S2. Especially when the two phones are roughly the same price -- S2 is $300, Nexus 4 is $300 for 8GB and $350 for 16GB.
SuperAfnan likes this.

mogelijk is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 5th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #52 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 560
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 100
Thanked 61 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
Personally, I'd go for the Google Nexus 4. The T-Mobile version of the S2 is a very good phone, just there is a nice advantage to getting a brand new phone with no bloatware, that will get Android updates as they are released by Google, over the S2. Especially when the two phones are roughly the same price -- S2 is $300, Nexus 4 is $300 for 8GB and $350 for 16GB.
I have to agree with mogelijk on this. The nexus 4 I hear is an excellent device and because of the release dates between the two it has much better specs. If you can get a s2 for a cheaper price on tmobile though like a used one possibly, it wouldn't be a bad route either. You must also take into consideration if you can live without removable battery and expandable storage.
notebooko is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to notebooko For This Useful Post:
SuperAfnan (December 5th, 2012)
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #53 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
SuperAfnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A yellow house
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,090
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T unlocked on T-mobile), HTC Amaze 4g (Unlocked, T-mobile), HTC EVO V 4g
Carrier: T-mobile

Thanks: 243
Thanked 200 Times in 166 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
Personally, I'd go for the Google Nexus 4. The T-Mobile version of the S2 is a very good phone, just there is a nice advantage to getting a brand new phone with no bloatware, that will get Android updates as they are released by Google, over the S2. Especially when the two phones are roughly the same price -- S2 is $300, Nexus 4 is $300 for 8GB and $350 for 16GB.


Quote:
Originally Posted by notebooko View Post
I have to agree with mogelijk on this. The nexus 4 I hear is an excellent device and because of the release dates between the two it has much better specs. If you can get a s2 for a cheaper price on tmobile though like a used one possibly, it wouldn't be a bad route either. You must also take into consideration if you can live without removable battery and expandable storage.
Both are good points. I forgot to mention used
the nexus would also be a good idea but I heard bad claims since it's made by LG. LG isn't bad to me but other people say it sucks. I had the optimus v it was decent. I like the htc build quality and a good camera, does the new nexus have a fast shutter and good quality?
__________________
Use this if you want a dropbox account. We will both get extra storage if you use it while registering.
http://db.tt/5dIMndQi
SuperAfnan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #54 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 50
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph on Virgin Mobile
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxrulez View Post
You will find a much higher % of customers being satisfied with the OpV overall. The $$$/reward ratio is very high and it is a very solid phone. It is NOT a high end phone, but it is definitely one of, if not THE very best budget phone currently around.

I am not saying the Triumph is a bad phone at all. I may even try one out at some point in the future. For me personally the money to reward ratio isn't high enough at the moment to justify the triumph.
That.

I (mistakenly) chose the Triumph over the OV a year ago.

I've suffered through the Triumph learning curve and flashing CM7 was a HUGE improvement. Just do it. Shoulda do it immediately. But the phone is very flakey, lots of bugs, and VM service... it's been 50% "no service", for 6 weeks, and VM confirms it's a "network issue" but bills monthly and 10 times has said "give us 48 hours to fix it" again and again.

It's a ripoff in short. Might work, or not, any day. They might not fix it. This week, or ever. It isn't worth investing in an expensive phone you can't take elsewhere.
Allaneato is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #55 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,458
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus HSPA+, Nook HD+, HP Touchpad w/ CM10 and Nook Color (previously rooted)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 123
Thanked 484 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAfnan View Post
Both are good points. I forgot to mention used
the nexus would also be a good idea but I heard bad claims since it's made by LG. LG isn't bad to me but other people say it sucks. I had the optimus v it was decent. I like the htc build quality and a good camera, does the new nexus have a fast shutter and good quality?
Those who complain about the Nexus 4 being built by LG haven't had the phone in their hands. The reviews have been extremely positive on this phone, with the only real complaint the lack of LTE. Of course, with HSPA+ 42, most people won't notice that it doesn't have LTE.
mogelijk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #56 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 52
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default What's your favorite color? Mine is blue, and blue is best!

That's the problem with choosing the "BEST" of anything.
It's all subjective to what the person telling you THINKS.

All I can say is look at value for price vs features and online reviews. That's the best you can do.

I happen to have used the Optimus V. It was OK, but severely lacking in storage. VM puts a lot of bloatware on their phones, and you could barely put any other apps on the phone and constantly had to watch data storage before the phone maxed out. The data card does not work with all apps, and you can only transfer select few to the card to help with core storage issues.

Upgraded to the LG Elite for $99 and loved it ever since. Plenty of storage for my needs and the processor is much faster. So for ME, the Elite is the best phone for MY needs at present.

If data is your thing, look at the "Beyond Talk" phones, read the online reviews and make your determination.
If talk and text is more important, you may be better off with "Pay-Lo" phones and plans. The "Montage" is a good choice here IMO, as a friend of mine has it and she absolutely loves it. BTW, her favorite color is GREEN!
vmforlife is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #57 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 30
 
Device(s): Optimus V
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I should NEVER go to the VM site to see what new phones they're offering lately. NOW I've started thinking about upgrading my VM phone at some point during the holiday sales.

Gone through a few phones with VM since I've been with them, the OV was my first smartphone, which was okay, but then I made the mistake of checking what was new a year or so ago, and ended up with the Motorola Triumph. Which, for the most part, I love, except for the things that I saw other people complain about when I was comparison shopping before I bought it (that I thought "well, how bad could THAT really be?" before I bought it) that I AM running into: the back cover falling off all the time, the "sleep of death", and short battery life. Have also run into a few apps that require 4.0 to work fully, which based on what I've read, the Motorola will never have.

So I popped over to the VM site to see what they had going on NOW. Naturally, gravitated immediately to the EVO and the SII, and compared them side by side along with the Triumph I have now. NO comparison, I WANT!

Based on what I've read here, it sounds like the SII is the better phone, but looking at them side by side, is what you get with the SII really $140 better than the EVO? They seem very similar (although I noticed that the EVO does NOT have an LED flash on the camera? - something I use all the time on my Triumph, and would probably miss if I didn't have it).

And don't know if this makes a difference or not, if one is better for this than the other, but I'm a data user more than a phone plan user. I'd say I probably use the phone as an actual PHONE about 5% of the time, and use the data side of it the remaining 95%.

Anyhoo, knowing what I don't like about what I've got, can I get some feedback what I should get?

Also, as a side note, would installing a different ROM fix what I don't like about the Motorola (other than the back falling off all the time, lol). I've thought about doing that, I'm good with tinkering with my PC, but not so much with my phone, didn't want to risk bricking it. But if I'm thinking about getting a new one anyway, is it worth trying? Especially since as soon as I get a new phone, my rates go up $10/month, I'm still at the $25/month plan but they'll increase me if I get a new phone.

Thanks.

~ Karen ~
GoHybrid67 is offline  
Last edited by GoHybrid67; December 15th, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #58 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,458
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus HSPA+, Nook HD+, HP Touchpad w/ CM10 and Nook Color (previously rooted)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 123
Thanked 484 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHybrid67 View Post
I should NEVER go to the VM site to see what new phones they're offering lately. NOW I've started thinking about upgrading my VM phone at some point during the holiday sales.

Gone through a few phones with VM since I've been with them, the OV was my first smartphone, which was okay, but then I made the mistake of checking what was new a year or so ago, and ended up with the Motorola Triumph. Which, for the most part, I love, except for the things that I saw other people complain about when I was comparison shopping before I bought it (that I thought "well, how bad could THAT really be?" before I bought it) that I AM running into: the back cover falling off all the time, the "sleep of death", and short battery life. Have also run into a few apps that require 4.0 to work fully, which based on what I've read, the Motorola will never have.

So I popped over to the VM site to see what they had going on NOW. Naturally, gravitated immediately to the EVO and the SII, and compared them side by side along with the Triumph I have now. NO comparison, I WANT!

Based on what I've read here, it sounds like the SII is the better phone, but looking at them side by side, is what you get with the SII really $140 better than the EVO? They seem very similar (although I noticed that the EVO does NOT have an LED flash on the camera? - something I use all the time on my Triumph, and would probably miss if I didn't have it).

And don't know if this makes a difference or not, if one is better for this than the other, but I'm a data user more than a phone plan user. I'd say I probably use the phone as an actual PHONE about 5% of the time, and use the data side of it the remaining 95%.

Anyhoo, knowing what I don't like about what I've got, can I get some feedback what I should get?

Also, as a side note, would installing a different ROM fix what I don't like about the Motorola (other than the back falling off all the time, lol). I've thought about doing that, I'm good with tinkering with my PC, but not so much with my phone, didn't want to risk bricking it. But if I'm thinking about getting a new one anyway, is it worth trying? Especially since as soon as I get a new phone, my rates go up $10/month, I'm still at the $25/month plan but they'll increase me if I get a new phone.

Thanks.

~ Karen ~
From what I've seen, rooting and loading a custom ROM will largely fix the problems with the Triumph. Having said that, both the Evo and the SII are far better phones than the Triumph. My personal thought is that the SII is not $100 better than the Evo, YMMV. The one big complaint about the Evo is that some people (not all) seem to have issues with an error, largely when texting. Additionally, the Evo is rather thick and heavy.

The SII has a better camera (8 MP vs. 5 MP) though it isn't 3D, which some people like. Both have much better processors and screens than the Triumph. I don't think you can really go wrong with either phone.

Of course, another option would be to buy a Nexus 4 and move to T-Mobile's $30 plan, similar to what I did. The Nexus 4 is a better phone than the SII, for close to the same price. Faster data speeds, as well as more data before you get throttled. The downside is that only 100 minutes are included per month (additional minutes cost 10 cents each) but, since you mentioned you use data more than talk, you get 5 GB data before being throttled.
mogelijk is offline  
Last edited by mogelijk; December 15th, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 30
 
Device(s): Optimus V
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Thanks for the input! Looks like the T-Mobile plan would work just fine for me, I rarely go over even 20 minutes a month with the 300 minute plan I have with VM. But they're not showing the Nexus 4 as being an available phone to go with their $30/mo plan. If I were to go that route, could I get one at someplace like WalMart and then just activate that plan through the website?

Although, the important point is that you said you thought that the SII wasn't not THAT much better than the EVO for the bucks, which is kind of how I was thinking too, so may just stick with VM, pay the extra $10 and go that route. Did think I saw somewhere that there IS an LED flash on that model? Will have to check on that, since I do make use of that all the time, for both still and video cams.

The sale is going on a bit longer, so will keep researching before I decide.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
From what I've seen, rooting and loading a custom ROM will largely fix the problems with the Triumph. Having said that, both the Evo and the SII are far better phones than the Triumph. My personal thought is that the SII is not $100 better than the Evo, YMMV. The one big complaint about the Evo is that some people (not all) seem to have issues with an error, largely when texting. Additionally, the Evo is rather thick and heavy.

The SII has a better camera (8 MP vs. 5 MP) though it isn't 3D, which some people like. Both have much better processors and screens than the Triumph. I don't think you can really go wrong with either phone.

Of course, another option would be to buy a Nexus 4 and move to T-Mobile's $30 plan, similar to what I did. The Nexus 4 is a better phone than the SII, for close to the same price. Faster data speeds, as well as more data before you get throttled. The downside is that only 100 minutes are included per month (additional minutes cost 10 cents each) but, since you mentioned you use data more than talk, you get 5 GB data before being throttled.
GoHybrid67 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #60 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,458
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus HSPA+, Nook HD+, HP Touchpad w/ CM10 and Nook Color (previously rooted)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 123
Thanked 484 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHybrid67 View Post
Thanks for the input! Looks like the T-Mobile plan would work just fine for me, I rarely go over even 20 minutes a month with the 300 minute plan I have with VM. But they're not showing the Nexus 4 as being an available phone to go with their $30/mo plan. If I were to go that route, could I get one at someplace like WalMart and then just activate that plan through the website?

Although, the important point is that you said you thought that the SII wasn't not THAT much better than the EVO for the bucks, which is kind of how I was thinking too, so may just stick with VM, pay the extra $10 and go that route. Did think I saw somewhere that there IS an LED flash on that model? Will have to check on that, since I do make use of that all the time, for both still and video cams.

The sale is going on a bit longer, so will keep researching before I decide.

Thanks!
Sorry, I should have specified. You can bring any GSM phone onto T-Mobile, with the one caveat that it needs to support the proper frequencies to get 3G speeds in all areas.

The Nexus 4 is sold by Google from the Google Play store. While you can buy it from T-Mobile, through their stores, they charge at least $100 more for the phone. To get the Google phone to work on T-Mobile, you merely need to buy a SIM Card Activation Kit from the T-Mobile website for 99 cents (it takes about a week for shipping). You then put the SIM card in your phone, activate it online, and you are set. The Nexus is a pentaband phone; it supports the frequencies for pretty much all GSM carriers worldwide, meaning you can switch the phone to another carrier (merely by swapping the SIM card) if you travel or even if you end up unhappy with T-Mobile.

The one current issue with the Nexus 4 is that it is out of stock until, I believe, until the end of the month. Of the phones sold specifically for T-Mobile Monthly, the Galaxy SII is likely the best ($330 from Walmart with $30 T-Mobile refill card). Though, again, you aren't limited to those phones. For example, you can buy one of the phones at a T-Mobile store, paying full price, and use it on the $30 plan.
mogelijk is offline  
Last edited by mogelijk; December 16th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mogelijk For This Useful Post:
GoHybrid67 (December 18th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #61 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 30
 
Device(s): Optimus V
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Glad I didn't order a phone yet, VM just dropped the price of the EVO by ANOTHER $40, so it's $100 off now, and $180 less than the SII. They might just have suckered me in for that price!
GoHybrid67 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #62 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 52
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default $79 Bucks for the Optimus Elite? Wow!

Holy cow. The Optimus Elite is now $79 on the VM website?
I paid $99 about 4 months ago at a Walmart and thought that was a stellar deal for this phone.

IMO, given this price, it's the best "overall" new Android phone on VM at present. Wow.
vmforlife is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Saugerties, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 136
 
Device(s): HTC One V Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dr4sight
Default

I'm one of the many Optimus V users who likes the phone in every way except its lack of storage. I've been visited many times by the "LOW ON SPACE" warning which drives me batty.
It would seem that the HTC One V and Optimus Elite (both priced in the same ballpark) would be improvements in that area but I am having trouble assessing my how much.
When I go to my App2SD app it reads 178.88MB total/ 22.2MB available

Were I to switch to the One V or the Elite can anyone tell me what the total would read instead of the 178.88 that the OV offers? I would probably buy the phone that offers more.

Thanks
dr4sight is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 169
 
Device(s): HTC One V LG Optimus V retired
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 46 Times in 41 Posts
Default

HTC OneV, .94 GB.
riggerman0421 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #65 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 52
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr4sight View Post
I'm one of the many Optimus V users who likes the phone in every way except its lack of storage. I've been visited many times by the "LOW ON SPACE" warning which drives me batty.
It would seem that the HTC One V and Optimus Elite (both priced in the same ballpark) would be improvements in that area but I am having trouble assessing my how much.
When I go to my App2SD app it reads 178.88MB total/ 22.2MB available

Were I to switch to the One V or the Elite can anyone tell me what the total would read instead of the 178.88 that the OV offers? I would probably buy the phone that offers more.

Thanks
Yes, my Optimus Elite reads: 889.77 MB Total, 365.75 available via APP 2 SD.

Direct Storage via menus says: 1.93 G Total, 715 MB available

I have a lot of apps loaded.

I'm sure you would be happy with either phone. I came off of an Optimus V and went with the Elite. I am really pleased. Much faster processor and plenty of storage.

For $79 bucks, I can't see how you could go wrong upgrading, and Virgin honored my $25 plan as the Elite was manufactured before the cut-off date on "Grandfathered Plans".

Good luck.
vmforlife is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Saugerties, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 136
 
Device(s): HTC One V Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to dr4sight
Default

Thanks. Especially for that point about the $25 plan.
I was sure that I would have to forfeit that in order to move from the OV to the Elite.

Which brings still another question. What about paid for apps.? I use SwiftKey 3. Would I have to buy again?
dr4sight is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #67 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,458
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus HSPA+, Nook HD+, HP Touchpad w/ CM10 and Nook Color (previously rooted)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 123
Thanked 484 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr4sight View Post
Thanks. Especially for that point about the $25 plan.
I was sure that I would have to forfeit that in order to move from the OV to the Elite.

Which brings still another question. What about paid for apps.? I use SwiftKey 3. Would I have to buy again?
No, you don't need to purchase apps again. Apps purchased through the Play Store are tied to your Google account and not to your phone.
mogelijk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #68 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 52
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

If concern that you would lose apps and your grandfathered $25 plan were keeping you from upgrading to the Optimus Elite, you can put them aside - as you have just read. I can't imagine you would not be happy with the upgrade. The Elite is a nice step up from the V. You'll notice a big difference in performance and storage. The Elite is also lighter and thinner. All around, a nice upgrade.
vmforlife is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:17 PM   #69 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 45
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

so the elite can be used with a grandfathered $25 plan? would anybody recommend the elite over triumph? i'm sick of the triumph.
ilcavallo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:14 AM   #70 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
landonh12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gulfport, MS
Gender: Male
Posts: 520
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G (ENG HBOOT 1.50.5050, S-OFF, DigitalHigh's MIUI v5 JB
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 61
Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcomotcom View Post
That's all true and don't forget that the S II has text and multimedia messaging whereas the Evo V has radio resource erroring (I'm not sure why this is better than reliably receiving your text messages, but apparently HTC thought we would like it.)

This is fixable.
landonh12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:41 PM   #71 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thebryceee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,245
 
Device(s): Nexus⁴, Evo V 4G, Rooted Kindle Fire
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 140
Thanked 233 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Oh believe me, the Nexus 4 is well built by LG. I really have nothing bad to say about it other than not being able to use an extended battery.

Can't really compare phones just because of the manufacturer, look at the difference between the Samsung Intercept and S3.
thebryceee is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thebryceee For This Useful Post:
SuperAfnan (March 1st, 2013)
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:51 PM   #72 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonh12 View Post
This is fixable.
Why would HTC want to fix such a helpful feature? Thanks to the Radio Resource Error feature, you can honestly tell people you don't want to deal with "Sorry, I didn't get your text." There's nothing to "fix".
tcomotcom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:13 PM   #73 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebryceee View Post
Oh believe me, the Nexus 4 is well built by LG. I really have nothing bad to say about it other than not being able to use an extended battery.
They build it incredibly well! So well that they can hardly make any at all! You can't rush quality!

The N4 is one of the most cost effective devices on the market today! Because it is constantly out of stock, the N4 has an effective price of $zero, saving you almost $300! I'm glad a manufacturer has finally found a way to make an awesome phone that everyone recommends and no one can buy. We're finally free of the endless cycle of phone upgrades! Don't buy one today!
notebooko likes this.
tcomotcom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:27 AM   #74 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Reverb
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

After trying the EVO V 4G (I previously had the supposedly same EVO 3D on Sprint), I couldn't handle the never delivered text messages and phone calls. I purchased my phone as it is, and don't intend to alter it to make it work. Wanted the One V, but it was unavailable locally, so I purchased the Samsung Reverb at BB with a price match from VM. I am so glad I had to make the switch. I absolutely love everything about this phone. I'd like to see a more durable case be available for it, but can't get everything.
kfisher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:07 AM   #75 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
thebryceee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,245
 
Device(s): Nexus⁴, Evo V 4G, Rooted Kindle Fire
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 140
Thanked 233 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcomotcom View Post
They build it incredibly well! So well that they can hardly make any at all! You can't rush quality!

The N4 is one of the most cost effective devices on the market today! Because it is constantly out of stock, the N4 has an effective price of $zero, saving you almost $300! I'm glad a manufacturer has finally found a way to make an awesome phone that everyone recommends and no one can buy. We're finally free of the endless cycle of phone upgrades! Don't buy one today!
Lol
thebryceee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #76 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
keisukehonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 95
 
Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 42
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcavallo View Post
so the elite can be used with a grandfathered $25 plan? would anybody recommend the elite over triumph? i'm sick of the triumph.
Spec wise the Triumph matches or exceeds the Elite in pretty much every category:

Motorola TRIUMPH vs LG Optimus Elite - Phone specs comparison

If you are willing to root your Triumph, a CM9 with working camera is close to completion. The Motorola Triumph is and will remain the best smartphone eligible for the $25/month plan.
keisukehonda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:53 PM   #77 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G
Carrier: virgin mobile

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

the galaxie s2 is on vm right now!
GJTRUEFAITH likes this.
nastagol is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nastagol For This Useful Post:
GJTRUEFAITH (March 5th, 2013)
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #78 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default upgrade from kyocera rise?

I currently have the ice cream sandwich OS Kyocera Rise with 1gb of internal storage,app2sd capable,3g,and touchscreen'querty keyboard slideout.i would like a phone of same or better quality with all of these features,but 4g instead of 3g..and preferably a better camera.not to picky on whether or not my upgrade to a better phone have a front camera btw but it would be nice though.does anyone know of a phone like that?i was looking at a lot of the Samsung galaxy phones but lots of bad reviews..and not sure how to "flash" gingerbread onto the triumph if I were to get it,or if that's even safe for the device or if it will slow it down.any input?
sparks31491 is offline  
Last edited by sparks31491; June 14th, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #79 (permalink)
Member
 
amk2795's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where I live
Gender: Female
Posts: 190
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 41
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Just get the GS3. It's the best phone they've got, no competition, with the GS2 running second.
amk2795 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #80 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Austrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St.Thomas, US Virgin Islands
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,325
 
Device(s): HTC EVO V 4G, Running: AOKP 4.1.2 v3.5.2, Skill Level(s): App, ROM, & Kernel Dev
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 0
Thanked 899 Times in 316 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2795 View Post
Just get the GS3. It's the best phone they've got, no competition, with the GS2 running second.
Samsung gaxy ring and Samsung galaxy victory should also be listed as decent phones, but if you want the best then get the Galaxy s3; the galaxy s2 is permanently out of stock.
__________________
I Don't ASK You For Cash, So Atleast Hit My Thanks Button Everytime You See A Good Post... ~~~~ \/My Wish List\/
~Faster Internet~
~55$ dollar plan~
~64GB SD Card~
Austrie is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 16th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #81 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 216
 
Device(s): HTC Desire 601
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 30
Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
Default

I am also using the Rise and the camera is truly bad, other than that it gets through the day really well, almost everything works almost every time. can't ask for much more but 4G would be nice (if it ever comes to my locale). I don't know if 4g's not available how much I would be gaining besides a camera by moving ot the S3, I'm sure it would be a little smoother on wifi and such but that's a chunk of change? Waiting for LTE to hit before pulling the trigger on one of these. I still have a better actual camera that's pretty convenient ... but it would be nice to just carry the one thing.
mikeca is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #82 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 258
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 46
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I had the triumph.. I broke my screen though so I bought the Kyocera Rise and it's been decent. I miss my front camera. This phone feels faster than my triumph ever did though maybe it's the factory installed ICS and it has the same SOC as the triumph. I do wish it had a better processor though. One of the compelling features was the real slide out keyboard and I never even use it.
TriumphLance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Virgin Mobile
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.