Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Virgin Mobile

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By notebooko
  • 1 Post By tcomotcom

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Jambi619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S 3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Why Does VM USA Suck So Hard?

I've been using the Triumph for about a year now, and, while it is a good phone, there are much better phones out there. The EVO V is a good step up, but not good enough for me to ditch my Triumph just yet. There's also the Iphone 4, but if I had that kind of money to blow on a phone, I would be using VM.

Anyway, I recently checked the Virgin Mobile sites for the UK, Canada, and Australia and they have all kinds of next-gen smart phones! HTC One X, Galaxy SIII, Iphone 5, WHAT THE FKN FK!?!?!?!

Is Richard Branson punishing us for Bush, or is there some technical reason for this discrepancy?

Advertisements
Jambi619 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 23rd, 2012, 02:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Same name basically different company
GARClA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 03:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 187
 
Device(s): HTC One V LG Optimus V retired
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 49 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Completely different companies. They are all individually owned and operated, just like Sprint owns Virgin Mobile USA here. They only thing they have in common is the name.
riggerman0421 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 04:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Psychotic Female
 
Petrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,080
 
Device(s): GE Galaxy S4 CM 11 | GSM Galaxy Nexus CM 11 | G-Note 10.1 2014
Carrier: Straight Talk

Thanks: 1,152
Thanked 1,440 Times in 925 Posts
Default

The above posters are correct. The only thing VM USA shares with those other companies is a name. ie: VM USA = owned by Sprint, VM Canada = owned by Bell Mobility.
__________________
Forum Rules & Guidelines & Zero Tolerance Policy
Agree with a post? Hit Like! Someone help you? Hit Thanks!
See a naughty post or a thread in the wrong area? Hit Report!
Petrah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 07:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 462
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 29
Thanked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi619 View Post
I've been using the Triumph for about a year now, and, while it is a good phone, there are much better phones out there. The EVO V is a good step up, but not good enough for me to ditch my Triumph just yet. There's also the Iphone 4, but if I had that kind of money to blow on a phone, I would be using VM.

Anyway, I recently checked the Virgin Mobile sites for the UK, Canada, and Australia and they have all kinds of next-gen smart phones! HTC One X, Galaxy SIII, Iphone 5, WHAT THE FKN FK!?!?!?!

Is Richard Branson punishing us for Bush, or is there some technical reason for this discrepancy?
Just be grateful VM USA isn't charging those ridiculous prices for those plans...100min for $50?
MT Rotor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Kamau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: S.W. Lower Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,032
 
Device(s): Motorola Xoom, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile

Thanks: 155
Thanked 118 Times in 92 Posts
Default

It also has a lot to do with the country. Most develpoed countries put money into more than military. They have internet networks that are far superior to ours, and therefore have much better phones. Take a look at the phones in other developed countries, and compare them to ours. We are just getting into 4g, where it has been the norm for years overseas.
The companies are only as good as the network, and here it is just starting to try to catch up to the rest of the world.
Kamau is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 572
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 100
Thanked 61 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamau View Post
It also has a lot to do with the country. Most develpoed countries put money into more than military. They have internet networks that are far superior to ours, and therefore have much better phones. Take a look at the phones in other developed countries, and compare them to ours. We are just getting into 4g, where it has been the norm for years overseas.
The companies are only as good as the network, and here it is just starting to try to catch up to the rest of the world.
What? LOL! Most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. US has had LTE for what seems like ages before Europe who is just getting it now.
notebooko is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Kamau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: S.W. Lower Michigan
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,032
 
Device(s): Motorola Xoom, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile

Thanks: 155
Thanked 118 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notebooko View Post
What? LOL! Most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. US has had LTE for what seems like ages before Europe who is just getting it now.
Then you must have not researched. Just look at the phones offered in other countries, and compare them to ours.
And LTE has not been here for ages because it's still very limited.
Kamau is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 572
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 100
Thanked 61 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamau View Post
Then you must have not researched. Just look at the phones offered in other countries, and compare them to ours.
And LTE has not been here for ages because it's still very limited.
Examples? I don't know what phones you are talking about. Other countries have been releasing quad core phones with no LTE capabilities while the US has been having to downgrade phone processors to dual core because LTE is not compatible with quad core chips. That's why there are variants of phones such as international variant and US variant. The US is in no way behind the standard and you could even say it is ahead with the exception of a few countries. LTE in Sprint may be very limited at the moment because of their hasty decision to implement WiMax and claim the title as first 4G provider in America, but look at carriers like Verizon...how is that "very limited"?
tcomotcom likes this.
notebooko is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 64
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Kamau, you are pretty confused about a number of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamau View Post
Most developed countries... have internet networks that are far superior to ours, and therefore have much better phones.
You seem to be mashing up land-line, last-mile Internet access infrastructure with wireless handset technology. That's nonsense - the two are not directly related. (and you're wrong about the superiority of foreign land-line Internet connections, anyway.)

When it comes to the core Internet, the U.S. is far, far ahead of every other country. No matter which metric you pick - total available bandwidth, number and speed of interconnections, amount of traffic, number and bandwidth of international connections...the U.S. dominates. Insanely so. The U.S. has 65% more deployed IP addresses than China, the next closest country. The U.S. core Intranet infrastructure is currently the biggest/best/fastest simply because it has to be.

When it comes to last-mile, wired, average Internet connection speed, the U.S. is 9th in the world - that's a great showing. Only two countries - South Korea and Japan - have what can reasonably be called "far superior" networks to everyone else, but that's it, just two. Korea and Japan are both small, densely populated countries, so it's foolish to compare them to the U.S., China, Russia, Canada, Brazil and every other massive country with huge areas of low population density.

Again, none of this land-line Internet stuff has anything to do with wireless handset technology. I don't understand why'd you'd even try to make that connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamau View Post
Take a look at the phones in other developed countries, and compare them to ours.
So what you believe is that subscribers in other countries have the iPhone 7, the Samsung Galaxy S VI and the HTC One Z+ Super Extra while we're stuck with the lame, hum drum iPhone 5, Galaxy S III and HTC One X? The phones available in the U.S. are just as advanced as those available anywhere else because they are the exact same GSM and CDMA phones. What exactly can these magical, foreign-availability-only phones do that phones available in the U.S. can not? Transform into a yellow Camaro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamau View Post
We are just getting into 4g, where it has been the norm for years overseas.
That's just incorrect. Before LTE became operational in the U.S., there were operational LTE networks in Hong Kong, Japan and some countries in Europe and that's it. (OK, and Uzbekistan - we don't want to leave out Uzbekistan.) That is not even remotely close to being "the norm".
notebooko likes this.
tcomotcom is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Nate456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CenTex
Posts: 227
 
Device(s): Optimus V OG Droid HTC EVO V 4g
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 31 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcomotcom View Post
Transform into a yellow Camaro?
That would be freaking awesome though.
Nate456 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
virgin mobile


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Carriers > Virgin Mobile
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.