November 11th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Thread Author (OP)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Carrier: Not Provided
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Phones (Optimus V and HTC EVO V) drop calls at exactly 1 minute
I am new to the forum. I wanted to take the time to post because this forum has been so helpful to me, so I thought I would pay it forward. I have been with Virgin for several years and am located in northern Illinois. For the past month, my LG Optimus V was dropping calls at precisely 1:05. Every call, every location, incoming and outgoing, full bars or 1 bar, you name it, every single call dropped at 1:05. Also note that my sister and BIL are also on Virgin and live nearby, and neither had any problems. And I confirmed with customer support that there was no maintenance or tower upgrade in my area.
Here are the things I tried that did not work. These are not necessarily in order and some I did repeatedly.
1) I upgraded to the HTC EVO V, followed the swap tips here, and the problem continued. Every call dropped at 1:05.
2) I called VM customer service, who walked me through a system and PRL updated. No joy.
3) I reset to factory settings. No joy.
4) I did the ##VIRGIN# procedure. Nothing.
5) Feeling desperate, I followed the "Fix Everything by turning your phone into an Evo 3d" thread". I rooted, switched s-off, and flashed a new ROM (Harmonia--which I love--THANK YOU, Leslie Ann). Unfortunately, the problem remained.
6) I swapped back to my old Optimus V. Still dropped every call at 1:05.
7) Another few calls to customer service over the course of several days. Nothing worked. I googled as many possibilities as I could think of, but couldn't find anything (hence, this post).
At this point, I decided to pursue the slash-and-burn approach. I canceled my service. Before doing this, I restored my HTC EVO V to factory settings (again, thank you androidforums for giving a newbie like me the information and support to do this).
While on the phone to cancel my service, I explained my problem and, AFTER canceling, when the support rep asked if I had any other questions, I asked if I could restart service with a brand new, fresh account and new phone number, as if my old account never existed. He said he could try it. And IT WORKED! I have made and received several calls and all of them hang on past the 2-minute mark. So far, so good.
I have to give credit to Virgin Mobile here. They even credited my account for 1 month of service! I think it helped that I was polite and patient on every call.
I realize this final approach is extreme, but it worked. I almost switched to Verizon and would now be paying more than double if I had not tried this last-ditch effort. And I pursued it only after trying just about everything else. In fact, my phone is faster than before. No more 5-6 second delay while placing calls. Texts and calls go through immediately.
I want to thank all the folks here who posted such helpful comments for everyone else. I never even needed to ask a question, because the posts here were so thorough. I now have a factory reset HTC EVO V that works. I miss Harmonia, but I admit that I am hesitant to try anything new at this point, now that my phone is finally working. Just have to try and ignore the ugly and loud Virgin start-up sequence. :-)