Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Wildfire > Wildfire - All Things Root

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 15th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Jon_LTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Uk
Gender: Male
Posts: 786
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Nexus 7 32gb WiFi
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 48
Thanked 85 Times in 69 Posts
JonLTD
Smile Recommendation of a ROM

Hi all

Yesterday, I spent a good proportion of the day rooting my girlfriends wildfire and installing a Rom, as her Stock rom was getting laggy and crashed frequently etc. At the moment I've installed another Sense Rom but she is keen on using Go Launcher. IMHO, Sense is a bit of a heavy interface and full of bloatware which needs to be stripped - and little to no point using a Sense Rom if you favour Go Launcher.

Can anyone recommend any AOSP rom which is: Lightweight (basics only) and stable (so preferably not a beta - but will consider it if it's considered stable). I've had a look at the list on the XDA website (here) and none of the 7 AOSP roms tick the boxes. I've used CM7 before (on my Desire so not sure if it's the same on the Wildfire) but this seems like the only option close to what I'd like. Is this the case?

Many thanks for all your input.

Jon

Advertisements
Jon_LTD is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_LTD View Post
Hi all

Yesterday, I spent a good proportion of the day rooting my girlfriends wildfire and installing a Rom, as her Stock rom was getting laggy and crashed frequently etc. At the moment I've installed another Sense Rom but she is keen on using Go Launcher. IMHO, Sense is a bit of a heavy interface and full of bloatware which needs to be stripped - and little to no point using a Sense Rom if you favour Go Launcher.

Can anyone recommend any AOSP rom which is: Lightweight (basics only) and stable (so preferably not a beta - but will consider it if it's considered stable). I've had a look at the list on the XDA website (here) and none of the 7 AOSP roms tick the boxes. I've used CM7 before (on my Desire so not sure if it's the same on the Wildfire) but this seems like the only option close to what I'd like. Is this the case?

Many thanks for all your input.

Jon
i am using myself RemPuzzleRom (Remake of WildPuzzle) and works pretty good
th4evil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Jon_LTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Uk
Gender: Male
Posts: 786
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Nexus 7 32gb WiFi
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 48
Thanked 85 Times in 69 Posts
JonLTD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4evil View Post
i am using myself RemPuzzleRom (Remake of WildPuzzle) and works pretty good
Hmm is that a Sense rom? I'm just having issues finding a stable AOSP rom. Most appear very buggy with elements not working. Why release a build which doesn't have 3g or wifi working?
Cm7 seems like it's my only option
Jon_LTD is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
ChryzaorFlux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Posts: 418
 
Device(s): HTC One :D HTC Wildfire (rooted)
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 14
Thanked 85 Times in 64 Posts
mr.aughaonu@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_LTD View Post
Hmm is that a Sense rom? I'm just having issues finding a stable AOSP rom. Most appear very buggy with elements not working. Why release a build which doesn't have 3g or wifi working?
Cm7 seems like it's my only option
RemPuzzle Rom is indeed a sense ROM, a remake of the original WildPuzzle ROM
The reviews are decent but i havnt personally tried it out, Sense ROMs arent as customisable as AOSP roms :l
Im currently using CyanogenMod (as most people), because i can get support for Wildfire and it has pretty good scripts that increase internal memory and RAM,
I have tried other AOSP roms but they didnt really do it for me.
Mainly because there is only so much the Wildfire can handle, so most AOSP roms are pretty similar, well so are Sense ROMs,
The only ROMs ive had for a long time is the Sensation Extreme (Nothing special about it, trust me), Wildpuzzle (Had an annoying bug) and currently CyanogenMod 7.1.0. (Other versions had unbearable bugs)

If you are going to pick Cyanogen then do some research about bugs, i havnt yet experienced a version with no bugs
__________________
Proud owner of the HTC One
I'm using Dropbox, why aren't you? Start now!! me and you get 500MB extra space free!!!!
Increase stock Wildfire speed, Stuff to do when rooted
If i've helped you, give thanks it shows people that my info is reliable
Rooting your Wildfire 2.2.1
ChryzaorFlux is offline  
Last edited by ChryzaorFlux; January 22nd, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 04:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Jon_LTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Uk
Gender: Male
Posts: 786
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Nexus 7 32gb WiFi
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 48
Thanked 85 Times in 69 Posts
JonLTD
Default

Thanks for the good info, and I flashed cm6 on the phone over the weekend. I figured a slightly older build would not be as taxing on the phone. So far it seems very very nice. No lag or force close issues, the only "bug" is the seemingly squashed "pattern" security lock. Also need to do some tweaking as far as the Notification bar is concerned as I've Made it black and I can't read the text behind it. Truth be told, I might just flashed cm7 directly over the top and iron out these minor niggles.
Wifi and 3g are seemingly more responsive too.
Have you tried cm6 & 7? If yes, does 7 handle just as well as 6? And can I flash directly over? Or is it advised to do a full wipe?

Many thanks!
Jon_LTD is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
ChryzaorFlux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Posts: 418
 
Device(s): HTC One :D HTC Wildfire (rooted)
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 14
Thanked 85 Times in 64 Posts
mr.aughaonu@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_LTD View Post
Thanks for the good info, and I flashed cm6 on the phone over the weekend. I figured a slightly older build would not be as taxing on the phone. So far it seems very very nice. No lag or force close issues, the only "bug" is the seemingly squashed "pattern" security lock. Also need to do some tweaking as far as the Notification bar is concerned as I've Made it black and I can't read the text behind it. Truth be told, I might just flashed cm7 directly over the top and iron out these minor niggles.
Wifi and 3g are seemingly more responsive too.
Have you tried cm6 & 7? If yes, does 7 handle just as well as 6? And can I flash directly over? Or is it advised to do a full wipe?

Many thanks!
The only versions ive tried are 7.0.3, 7.1.0 and 7.1.0.1
When i first used CyanogenMod it was version 7.1.0, i then changed to various other ROMs till this day where i am again using it, CM v.7.1.0.1 has a really annoying bug where the internet would stop working whether your using mobile internet or WiFi, i flashed 7.1.0 to see if it didnt have the same problem, until recently i discovered it did but its not as frequent, hopefully they fix it

Whenever flashing any cyanogenmod version over another, you dont have to wipe anything, just flash it
ChryzaorFlux is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChryzaorFlux For This Useful Post:
Jon_LTD (February 18th, 2012)
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Jon_LTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Uk
Gender: Male
Posts: 786
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Nexus 7 32gb WiFi
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 48
Thanked 85 Times in 69 Posts
JonLTD
Default

6.x was a stable enough ROM but the few little glitches was annoying me (although the missus seemed fine with it!). I flashed 7.x over the top and it seems to be running with no problems and all the annoying little features ironed out. But I will keep an eye out for the unstable browsing.
Jon_LTD is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
ChryzaorFlux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Posts: 418
 
Device(s): HTC One :D HTC Wildfire (rooted)
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 14
Thanked 85 Times in 64 Posts
mr.aughaonu@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_LTD View Post
6.x was a stable enough ROM but the few little glitches was annoying me (although the missus seemed fine with it!). I flashed 7.x over the top and it seems to be running with no problems and all the annoying little features ironed out. But I will keep an eye out for the unstable browsing.
Thanks ill keep that in mind, my Wildfire is currently on the verge of being thrown of a cliff, that Wi-Fi/mobile network problem is annoying me. Hopefully the magic that worked for you will work for me
ChryzaorFlux is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Jon_LTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Uk
Gender: Male
Posts: 786
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Nexus 7 32gb WiFi
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 48
Thanked 85 Times in 69 Posts
JonLTD
Default

Hmm - first little niggle. SuperUser app isn't in the app draw - but it is installed! It's complaining that there isn't enough memory (which I have never seen) and when I open this from the task bar, it takes me to the market where the SuperUser app is where I can open it.. Completely bizarre. So it's installed and I used it (Titanium Backup, Adblock etc) but it's just not visible.
As for the browsing - no apparent issues yet
Jon_LTD is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
ChryzaorFlux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Posts: 418
 
Device(s): HTC One :D HTC Wildfire (rooted)
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 14
Thanked 85 Times in 64 Posts
mr.aughaonu@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_LTD View Post
Hmm - first little niggle. SuperUser app isn't in the app draw - but it is installed! It's complaining that there isn't enough memory (which I have never seen) and when I open this from the task bar, it takes me to the market where the SuperUser app is where I can open it.. Completely bizarre. So it's installed and I used it (Titanium Backup, Adblock etc) but it's just not visible.
As for the browsing - no apparent issues yet
Hmm weird, mines always been there.
Its funny how everyone has different problems that other dont have.
Since your running CM7, there is a script which reduces memory usage of apps so low internal memory will only arise if you have like 60+ apps, for instance, the theme that i am using, i moved to my internal memory /system/app/ to be precise. It originally was 6.58MB now its 0.00MB and it works perfectly fine

Btw using a file manager with read/write permissions try moving the SuperUser.apk from /system/app/ to /data/app (where you apps that have not been moved to the sd card are stored), reboot your Wildfire and see if it appears.
The browser if fine for me aswell thankfully
ChryzaorFlux is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Jon_LTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Uk
Gender: Male
Posts: 786
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Nexus 7 32gb WiFi
Carrier: 3

Thanks: 48
Thanked 85 Times in 69 Posts
JonLTD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChryzaorFlux View Post
Hmm weird, mines always been there.
Its funny how everyone has different problems that other dont have.
Since your running CM7, there is a script which reduces memory usage of apps so low internal memory will only arise if you have like 60+ apps, for instance, the theme that i am using, i moved to my internal memory /system/app/ to be precise. It originally was 6.58MB now its 0.00MB and it works perfectly fine

Btw using a file manager with read/write permissions try moving the SuperUser.apk from /system/app/ to /data/app (where you apps that have not been moved to the sd card are stored), reboot your Wildfire and see if it appears.
The browser if fine for me aswell thankfully
Yeah - my next port of call was shifting the directory of the apk. Failing that, I'll put an .apk file on the root directory of the SD card and insall it via Astro. I don't tend to do much mid week as we both work and, generally speaking, I spend most evenings busy so I'll feedback this weekend.
Same for this additional script. I never looked into this as she rarely has more than 15 user apps installed and I stripped the Rom of all bloatware anyway. I never bothered with partitioning the SD with ext3/4 - even though Dark Tremor to enable apps2SD+ is an alternative . Or maybe it isn't for the Wildfire? Not to sure on that one.
Jon_LTD is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
ChryzaorFlux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Posts: 418
 
Device(s): HTC One :D HTC Wildfire (rooted)
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 14
Thanked 85 Times in 64 Posts
mr.aughaonu@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_LTD View Post
Yeah - my next port of call was shifting the directory of the apk. Failing that, I'll put an .apk file on the root directory of the SD card and insall it via Astro. I don't tend to do much mid week as we both work and, generally speaking, I spend most evenings busy so I'll feedback this weekend.
Same for this additional script. I never looked into this as she rarely has more than 15 user apps installed and I stripped the Rom of all bloatware anyway. I never bothered with partitioning the SD with ext3/4 - even though Dark Tremor to enable apps2SD+ is an alternative . Or maybe it isn't for the Wildfire? Not to sure on that one.
Cool, hopefully it works for you
True say man, its been soo hectic recently for me

There is a Darktremor script for Wildfire but i didnt use it because CyanogenMod already comes with a App2SD script and the partitioning the SD card thing - using ROM Manager is to do it should be avoided, the other ways i read were really long so i just gave up
ChryzaorFlux is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Wildfire > Wildfire - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.