Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Wildfire S > Wildfire S - All Things Root

Like Tree25Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #601 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
CafeKampuchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pursat, Cambodia
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,163
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 8.4, Google Nexus 5, OnePlus One
Carrier: CellCard & Metfone

Thanks: 1,340
Thanked 1,419 Times in 750 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 293261352 View Post
Does that mean I am Backuped?
No all that means is that you have flashed the recovery successfully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 293261352 View Post
where can you get this program called ClockworkMod Recovery?
Done in post above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 293261352 View Post
How can I recovery my stock Rom using this program?
How do I make sure that my phone is backuped?
Boot into HBOOT. Once there, use the volume rocker to highlight RECOVERY and press the power button to select. The phone will reboot in CWM Recovery. Select Backup/Restore on the menu and then Backup. Once it's done, select Reboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 293261352 View Post
I have follow all the step for 4, it said ROOTED but it doesn't have the Superuser goes on my phone. Then I installed it in my phone through Android Market and I have also installed titanium backup just to see is it Rooted or not.

And it saids that my phone isn't rooted yet...
After rooting and installing SuperUser, reboot the phone. If that doesn't get it, post back.

Advertisements
__________________
Don't just say thanks, click Thanks
Android Forums Site Rules/Guidelines OnePlus One Rooting Guide

Please don't send me PMs with support questions. That's what the forum is for
CafeKampuchia is offline  
Last edited by CafeKampuchia; June 11th, 2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Added stuff
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CafeKampuchia For This Useful Post:
293261352 (June 12th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #602 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caro332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 912
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S rooted with CM 10 (RIP); HTC One unrooted; Sony Xperia Z Unrooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 238 Times in 214 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 293261352 View Post
where can you get this program called ClockworkMod Recovery?
How can I recovery my stock Rom using this program?
How do I make sure that my phone is backuped?
Click on the link 'index of recoveries'
Quote:
5. I'm finally rooted! Now what?
5A. Install ClockworkMod Recovery for WFS

1. Download the official 5.0.2.8 image at ClockworkMod's index of recoveries. Make sure you choose the right one for your device whether Marvel or MarvelC. Extract the img file from the zip you just downloaded and save it somewhere you can find it later
Once recovery is installed, you can back up your rom. You will boot into HBOOT, go to recovery, and click on backup/restorre option. Then click on back up. The process should take a few minutes. Once it's over, reboot the phone normally

Quote:
I have follow all the step for 4, it said ROOTED but it doesn't have the Superuser goes on my phone. Then I installed it in my phone through Android Market and I have also installed titanium backup just to see is it Rooted or not.

And it saids that my phone isn't rooted yet...
Not to worry, don't panick. IF this doesn't work, there are other ways.
Have a look at this guide:
http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s-all-things-root/399076-guide-how-root-wildfire-s.html

Only once you are rooted you will be able to install recovery. That is what will allow you to back up your current roms and install new ones
Caro332 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caro332 For This Useful Post:
293261352 (June 12th, 2012)
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #603 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
CafeKampuchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pursat, Cambodia
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,163
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 8.4, Google Nexus 5, OnePlus One
Carrier: CellCard & Metfone

Thanks: 1,340
Thanked 1,419 Times in 750 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelvinWild View Post
Hi!

I have an unlocked, S-on wfs with these specifications:

HTC wildfire S (marvel) - 2.3.5 ginger, kernel: 2.6.35.10

HBOOT

***UNLOCKED***
MARVEL PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.09.0099
MICROP-0451
RADIO-7.57.39.10M

I downloaded the newest CWM, called: recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.8-marvel.img

renamed, placed, fastboot etc. I succed to put on my phone, but after I hboot and select recovery menu my HTC logo comes up and after a while it blanks off, remains the bottom icons lightining. So i just cannot acces my recovery menu.

What can I do?

Thanx
KelvinWild, welcome to AndroidForums! I moved your post into a more relevant thread.

Try downloading and re-flashing the recovery. That often times solves the problem. Post back here if it persists.
CafeKampuchia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #604 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
CafeKampuchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pursat, Cambodia
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,163
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 8.4, Google Nexus 5, OnePlus One
Carrier: CellCard & Metfone

Thanks: 1,340
Thanked 1,419 Times in 750 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro332 View Post
Click on the link 'index of recoveries'


Once recovery is installed, you can back up your rom. You will boot into HBOOT, go to recovery, and click on backup/restorre option. Then click on back up. The process should take a few minutes. Once it's over, reboot the phone normally


Not to worry, don't panick. IF this doesn't work, there are other ways.
Have a look at this guide:
http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s-all-things-root/399076-guide-how-root-wildfire-s.html

Only once you are rooted you will be able to install recovery. That is what will allow you to back up your current roms and install new ones
Actually, I believe recovery has been flashed and the phone rooted already. They just need to know how to access Recovery and reboot the phone.
CafeKampuchia is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CafeKampuchia For This Useful Post:
293261352 (June 13th, 2012), Caro332 (June 12th, 2012)
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #605 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia View Post
After rooting and installing SuperUser, reboot the phone. If that doesn't get it, post back.
I have follow through the step four and five again.
For the step 4, I used the supertool funtion 1 and 3 then reboot, then i have install the superuser in google play afterward.

Then I just went on to the step 5...

For step 5, I went on to H-BOOT, then recovery, then backup and restore, then chose backup finally... After waiting for 4-5mins it said Back up completed... So i went on to my SD after i reboot my phone and copied the clockworkmod folder across to my dropbox, the file is (290mb)... So i am sure that i have backed my phone up...

Then I went onto that is it rooted or not by going to google play and install titanium backup on my phone to see is it rooted or not... And when I open the app, it saids that my phone is not rooted yet...
293261352 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #606 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
CafeKampuchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pursat, Cambodia
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,163
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 8.4, Google Nexus 5, OnePlus One
Carrier: CellCard & Metfone

Thanks: 1,340
Thanked 1,419 Times in 750 Posts
Default

I just added the following for phone that won't root using the Super Tool. I might just get rid of the Super Tool and go this route. Thoughts?

Quote:
Some devices refuse to root using the Supertool. For those phones, do the following mini procedure below. It's the oldest and most manual way to root the Wildfire S. Credits to the guys at XDA.cn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual rooting mini-procedure
1. Skip ahead to steps 5A and 5B below to install ClockworkMod Recovery and backup your ROM.
2. Download root.zip and put it on your SD card.
3. Boot into HBOOT and go into Recovery.
4. Select install zip from sd card and choose zip from sd card. Then find the root.zip file downloaded above and install it.
5. Go back to the main menu and reboot the phone.
6. Verify that the SuperUser app is installed and go to Google Play market to update it. If the SuperUser app is not installed, download SuperSU from Google Play store and reboot the phone.
293261352, since you've already installed CWM Recovery, you can try this starting from step 2.
CafeKampuchia is offline  
Last edited by CafeKampuchia; June 12th, 2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Forgot something then remembered it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CafeKampuchia For This Useful Post:
293261352 (June 13th, 2012), Caro332 (June 13th, 2012)
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #607 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia View Post
Welcome to Android Forums

If you are an Australia/New Zealand user it's an A510b (Marvel) and this rooting guide will work for your phone. Just don't flash the ROM for an A510e (step 2) or it may flash a new radio and mess up your frequencies.
Actually, i am a Brazil user ;D that means the guide will work fine for me?
Lotoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #608 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
CafeKampuchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pursat, Cambodia
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,163
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 8.4, Google Nexus 5, OnePlus One
Carrier: CellCard & Metfone

Thanks: 1,340
Thanked 1,419 Times in 750 Posts
Default

Yes, but don't manually update your ROM in step 2. Check for FOTA updates and if there is one, accept. Otherwise go to step 3.
CafeKampuchia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #609 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia View Post
What's your current software number in hboot?

Also, the latest generic HTC EU should work for you. It will debrand your phone if you don't mind. Probably get rid of some VP bloat

If you need some options overcoming errors while flashing try methods 2 & 3 here:
http://androidforums.com/htc-wildfire-s/502772-guide-how-update-htc-wildfire-s-marvel-a510e-gsm-software-version-2-3-5-a.html

They will work with any RUU. Just be certain that your flashing a compatible RUU, ie for GSM if that's what you have.
I'm on 1.08.0099

Thanks for all your help, I'll try those methods over the coming days and get back to you with my result. I really appreciate this.

I will mention though that the guide requires me to a factory reset, which also crashes the phone at the moment from HBOOT. Don't know whether that guide will fix that feature in the progress though.
WazzaJB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #610 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia View Post
I just added the following for phone that won't root using the Super Tool. I might just get rid of the Super Tool and go this route. Thoughts?



293261352, since you've already installed CWM Recovery, you can try this starting from step 2.
Thanks You for helping me throughout I was rooting my phone... And I am finally rooted... Thank you...
293261352 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 15th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #611 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi,

I have a LOCKED S-On HTC Wildfire S and I'm fighting the lack of internal memory. I think my best solution is to use the Link2SD application which requires root.

I don't want to reset my phone if I don't have to which appears to be step 5. I have a game installed and I don't want to lose the progress I've made in it.

Am I right that by following steps 1 through 4 I will be able to use Link2SD as root?

Thanks very much in advance,

Cheers,
Mark
marky1124 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #612 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caro332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 912
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S rooted with CM 10 (RIP); HTC One unrooted; Sony Xperia Z Unrooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 238 Times in 214 Posts
Default

Hi Marky and welcome to AF,

Once you are through with step 4, your phone will be rooted and you can use link2sd. However, I think your phone will be reset somewhere between step 1 and 4. Not too sure anymore. So I would suggest for someone to come back and confirm when to phone resets before you go ahead with the precedure if you want to make sure you don't lose your data.
Caro332 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #613 (permalink)
Member
 
slimchance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 116
 
Device(s): Samsung S3 Mini i8190N Rooted and running Maclaw's Slim Rom 4.3 with TWRP recovery. Wildfire S (R
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Unlocking the bootloader will wipe the data...
slimchance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #614 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro332 View Post
Hi Marky and welcome to AF,

Once you are through with step 4, your phone will be rooted and you can use link2sd. However, I think your phone will be reset somewhere between step 1 and 4. Not too sure anymore. So I would suggest for someone to come back and confirm when to phone resets before you go ahead with the precedure if you want to make sure you don't lose your data.
Hi Caro,

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Can anyone else confirm whether following steps 1 through 4 will reset the phone data?

Cheers,
Mark
marky1124 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #615 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky1124 View Post
Can anyone else confirm whether following steps 1 through 4 will reset the phone data?
Hi,

I can now answer my own question. I decided to start following the steps at htcdev.com and on page 4 of their instructions step 12 tells you to issue the 'fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin' command and step 13 then warns you 'if you select Yes, your phone will be reset to its’ factory default settings, and your bootloader will be unlocked.' (to prevent unauthorised access to your data).

So now I know.

So now I'm faced with losing my game progress. I can't find any way to save my game (NemoNemo Picross).

If I'm right there's no way to access the internal memory files, or is there? Can it be done via the SDK tools?

Cheers,
Mark
marky1124 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #616 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): htc wildfire s marvel a510e
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Hi guys!Firs of all thank you for the work you make.I have marvel A510e with the last firmware(2.26......),GB 2.3.5.My carrier is Orange Romania.I've tried to root my phone but i can't.I've succesfuly unlock my bootloader(without updating it) and now is 1.09.0099.I've tried all methods(from this thread and others),but i can't boot into recovery.Whatever i've made,after vol->recovery>power,after HTC logo on white screen ,the phone was restarted(after few goods minutes-i was scarried first) and a htc notification appear:"this phone has just recovered from an abnormal reset".Must i debrand the phone?(if is branded but i don't have o lot of applications from orange,just one).i-ve tried even puting a renamed PG76IMG.zip(recovery clock work)in card but i'got :"incorect cid".Today i've tried to flash RUU Marvel S HTC Europe 2.26.401.3and i've got error 155.So please ,any sugestions or advices are welcome.Thank you!
sorinaugusto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 04:29 AM   #617 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi I'd just like to say thanks for writing this guide, it was exceptionally helpful.
i'm now running Alquez’s CyanogenMod 7.2 port for Marvel that you suggested, and it's really good, though a few of the apps arn't up to the level of their stock counterparts, but nothing's perfect lol
thanks again
jonomac94 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #618 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey! First, thanks for the post. It'¡s very useful.

Nonetheless, I'm finding myself lost right now. I followed HTCdev steps to unlock the bootloader, but I'm stuck at the step 12 ("In the command prompt type: fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin.")

The command console gets stuck with this:

sending 'unlocktoken' <0KB>...


And nothing else happens in the console. In the cellphone, only a vertical green-lined rectangle appears on the right of the information paragraph (copied below), but the disclaimer window does not pop-up. That window shows the following:

***Locked***
MARVEL PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.09.0099
MICROP-0451
RADIO-7.53.39.03M
Feb 8 2012, 18:29:31


It's on FASTBOOT mode, and it shows FASTBOOT USB with red background.

Do you guys have any idea about what can be going on? RUU was installed as per instructions, using my carrier file (Orange ES). The model is a 76100 one. The Unlock_code.bin is in the same directory as the adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, and fastboot.exe files. Also, the USB debug mode is enabled.

EDIT: I'm thinking about if installing my carrier's instead of HTC EU could have made it impossible to flash it. Would it be safe to attempt to install HTC EU even if it shows in the htcdev webpage as a "lower" version/revision number?
* It doesn't work. Error: Rom is not supported (I had updated to 2.3.5). D'oh.

PROBLEM FIXED:

- Uninstall the HTC software
- Shut down and reboot the computer (Essential, otherwise the problem will be still present, I tried it)
... Retry!
Dantrithor is offline  
Last edited by Dantrithor; June 17th, 2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Problem is fixed.
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #619 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Notsure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia View Post
What's your current software number in hboot?

Also, the latest generic HTC EU should work for you. It will debrand your phone if you don't mind. Probably get rid of some VP bloat

If you need some options overcoming errors while flashing try methods 2 & 3 here:
http://androidforums.com/htc-wildfire-s/502772-guide-how-update-htc-wildfire-s-marvel-a510e-gsm-software-version-2-3-5-a.html

They will work with any RUU. Just be certain that your flashing a compatible RUU, ie for GSM if that's what you have.
Hi CafeKampuchia,

My HBoot is now 1.09, and I can boot into 2.26 and stock recovery works!

I have unlocked the bootloader again, phone still works great (Still stock however ). I can not root using this guide, I assumed this was because I am on 2.26 so tried to flash 2.13 rom (Which doesn't work at all - white HTC boot stuck). I then read on your guide to instead flash CWM first and do an old school root, no matter what version of CWM I use, it gets stuck on the HTC screen! Really stuck here mate. I've tried 5.0.2.6 unofficial, 5.0.2.7 official and 5.0.2.8 official to no avail.

Any help getting CWM on the phone would be hugely appreciated.

Warren

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I have flashed 2.13 now after doing a factory reset, am now root and have installed rom manager and gone on to use that to install CWM. All goes through super user correctly and appears to have installed fine, BUT I am still getting the blank white HTC screen! Is my phone special, or am I doing something horribly wrong? I have everything I need now except for CWM.
WazzaJB is offline  
Last edited by WazzaJB; June 17th, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #620 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hello. I've been working at this for about 12 hours straight now, searching through guides and threads, researching and trying a bunch of stuff. Your guide here is most informative and has been about as close I've gotten to success but alas, not quite.

I feel like the reason it failed might be because I used an alternate method of unlocking the bootloader from the one outlined in your tutorial. I arrived at this guide having already successfully unlocked my bootloader. So I skipped step 3.

So here's everything I've done so far. My phone is a GSM HTC Wildfire S A510e from the UK on the Orange network. Purchased fairly recently. I started yesterday evening with a stock ROM, S-On, Locked Bootloader, HBOOT 1.09.0099.

First I did a factory reset including erasing the SD card.

After researching the different methods available currently my first plan was to unlock the bootloader at HTCDev and then use this tutorial, because it claimed not to require S-Off, only Unlocked BL and it was specific to my device.

Unlocking at HTCDev didn't go well however, because I was told by the instructions to 'update' my firmware to 2.14.61.1 and then use an RUU to update my bootloader. My firmware was already post-2.14.61.1 however. (2.26.61.1) I searched for a method of downgrading to 2.14.61.1 but couldn't come up with anything. I figured that maybe I didn't need to downgrade, but when trying to run the RUU regardless of my firmware I got an error. (After reading your guide I realise this was because I didn't need the update. I should have been selecting other devices, not Wildfire S.)

I searched around for alternate unlocking methods and eventually came across this. Lots of people were reporting success with it so I downloaded the tool and used it to unlock with no problems.

I proceeded to return to the rooting tutorial and give it a go, but immediately fell down at the first hurdle. When flashing the clockworkmod recovery PG76IMG.zip I got an error that said "CID incorrect! Update failed!".

A quick google search unanimously agreed that this was caused by my phone being S-On. This confused me because the guide professed not to require S-Off. I remembered however that the unlock tool I used earlier had an option to S-Off the device. So I loaded it up and tried that. Unfortunately it failed and linked me to a method for making a 'gold card', which was only applicable to CDMA devices which my phone is not. I learned that apparently the only way to get a GSM Wildfire S to S-Off was to buy an XTC-Clip.

Some more searching lead me here, and I thought I was home free. I followed your guide, skipping steps 1, 2 and 3 because I had already formatted, was already 2.3.5, and already unlocked. I tried the first method in 4B and the application told me I was successfully rooted, but when I rebooted there was no SuperUser. I installed SuperSU, rebooted, and when I ran it it said there was no SU binary installed. So I went back and tried the second method in 4B, which also claimed to have successfully rooted, but after reboot there was no change. I continued to step 5A anyway, as that's what it said to do in step 4 of the second method, but couldn't continue because I was getting the same CID error as earlier when flashing the PG76IMG.zip.

I apologise for wasting your time if I've missed something flagrantly obvious somewhere along the line, but at this point I'm sleep deprived and am seeing little hope of success. Any help you could offer would be brilliant.
TangentDroid is offline  
Last edited by TangentDroid; June 18th, 2012 at 05:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 18th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #621 (permalink)
Member
 
slimchance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 116
 
Device(s): Samsung S3 Mini i8190N Rooted and running Maclaw's Slim Rom 4.3 with TWRP recovery. Wildfire S (R
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

I'm assuming you've got SDK tools for Android, Java runtime, and HTC Sync installed on your computer, that you've made a directory such as c:\android with the SDK tools inside and that your handset is set to 'USB Debugging'.

You should also ensure that HTC Sync is not running in the background (you only need the drivers).

Install the image file of Clockworkmod linked to in this guide in c:\android.

When you flash Clockworkmod recovery, you should do it using the command line method mentioned in section 5 of the guide - do everything exactly as it is written there. Hopefully it will work.

Once you've got CWM installed you can use it to install root.zip, also linked to in this guide.

If all goes well you will get root.
slimchance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #622 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentDroid View Post
Hello. I've been working at this for about 12 hours straight now, searching through guides and threads, researching and trying a bunch of stuff. Your guide here is most informative and has been about as close I've gotten to success but alas, not quite.

I feel like the reason it failed might be because I used an alternate method of unlocking the bootloader from the one outlined in your tutorial. I arrived at this guide having already successfully unlocked my bootloader. So I skipped step 3.

So here's everything I've done so far. My phone is a GSM HTC Wildfire S A510e from the UK on the Orange network. Purchased fairly recently. I started yesterday evening with a stock ROM, S-On, Locked Bootloader, HBOOT 1.09.0099.

First I did a factory reset including erasing the SD card.

After researching the different methods available currently my first plan was to unlock the bootloader at HTCDev and then use this tutorial, because it claimed not to require S-Off, only Unlocked BL and it was specific to my device.

Unlocking at HTCDev didn't go well however, because I was told by the instructions to 'update' my firmware to 2.14.61.1 and then use an RUU to update my bootloader. My firmware was already post-2.14.61.1 however. (2.26.61.1) I searched for a method of downgrading to 2.14.61.1 but couldn't come up with anything. I figured that maybe I didn't need to downgrade, but when trying to run the RUU regardless of my firmware I got an error. (After reading your guide I realise this was because I didn't need the update. I should have been selecting other devices, not Wildfire S.)

I searched around for alternate unlocking methods and eventually came across this. Lots of people were reporting success with it so I downloaded the tool and used it to unlock with no problems.

I proceeded to return to the rooting tutorial and give it a go, but immediately fell down at the first hurdle. When flashing the clockworkmod recovery PG76IMG.zip I got an error that said "CID incorrect! Update failed!".

A quick google search unanimously agreed that this was caused by my phone being S-On. This confused me because the guide professed not to require S-Off. I remembered however that the unlock tool I used earlier had an option to S-Off the device. So I loaded it up and tried that. Unfortunately it failed and linked me to a method for making a 'gold card', which was only applicable to CDMA devices which my phone is not. I learned that apparently the only way to get a GSM Wildfire S to S-Off was to buy an XTC-Clip.

Some more searching lead me here, and I thought I was home free. I followed your guide, skipping steps 1, 2 and 3 because I had already formatted, was already 2.3.5, and already unlocked. I tried the first method in 4B and the application told me I was successfully rooted, but when I rebooted there was no SuperUser. I installed SuperSU, rebooted, and when I ran it it said there was no SU binary installed. So I went back and tried the second method in 4B, which also claimed to have successfully rooted, but after reboot there was no change. I continued to step 5A anyway, as that's what it said to do in step 4 of the second method, but couldn't continue because I was getting the same CID error as earlier when flashing the PG76IMG.zip.

I apologise for wasting your time if I've missed something flagrantly obvious somewhere along the line, but at this point I'm sleep deprived and am seeing little hope of success. Any help you could offer would be brilliant.
I may be wrong, but I believe 2.26 can not be rooted using those methods that use "zergRush", you can downgrade by forcefully flashing a 2.13 rom to your phone from fastboot OR root after installing CWM.

I apologize if i'm not much use but i'm new too and am only sharing my findings.
WazzaJB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #623 (permalink)
Member
 
slimchance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 116
 
Device(s): Samsung S3 Mini i8190N Rooted and running Maclaw's Slim Rom 4.3 with TWRP recovery. Wildfire S (R
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

My phone was on 2.26 something Supertool didn't work for me but I didn't have to downgrade, just had to use the alternative method outlined in the OP, where you install root.zip from CWM.
slimchance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #624 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Flashing a custom ROM

Phone rooted, Thank you very good thread.

One thing I am not clear , I'll be gratefull if you could explain is, see when you do a factory reset, how do you wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache?

When the ROM is downloaded we have to unzip and copy in sd root directory?

and another question is once I do the back up and copy on computer can I delete the folder back up in sd card?

The procedure for flashing a custom ROM is as follows:
1) Boot into Recovery and backup your stock ROM. If you don’t and something goes wrong, you’ll have a major headache on your hands. *DO NOT* skip this step.
2) Download the ROM and copy it to the root directory of your SD card.
3) Do a factory reset, wipe the cache partition and wipe dalvik cache (under Advanced).
4) Install the update from the SD card.

Thank you
vincesil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #625 (permalink)
Member
 
slimchance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 116
 
Device(s): Samsung S3 Mini i8190N Rooted and running Maclaw's Slim Rom 4.3 with TWRP recovery. Wildfire S (R
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesil View Post
I'll be gratefull if you could explain is, see when you do a factory reset, how do you wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache?
There are options for Factory reset and Clear Cache in ClockworkMod and Clear Dalvik cache is under 'Advanced'. Get to ClockworkMod Recovery by going into bootloader mode (switch off phone, remove battery, replace battery, hold down volume key and power key simultaneously), in bootloader choose recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesil View Post
When the ROM is downloaded we have to unzip and copy in sd root directory?
Place it in the root directory of the SD card unzipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesil View Post
and another question is once I do the back up and copy on computer can I delete the folder back up in sd card?
Probably best not to.
slimchance is offline  
Last edited by slimchance; June 18th, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #626 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caro332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 912
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S rooted with CM 10 (RIP); HTC One unrooted; Sony Xperia Z Unrooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 238 Times in 214 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentDroid View Post
Some more searching lead me here, and I thought I was home free. I followed your guide, skipping steps 1, 2 and 3 because I had already formatted, was already 2.3.5, and already unlocked. I tried the first method in 4B and the application told me I was successfully rooted, but when I rebooted there was no SuperUser. I installed SuperSU, rebooted, and when I ran it it said there was no SU binary installed. So I went back and tried the second method in 4B, which also claimed to have successfully rooted, but after reboot there was no change. I continued to step 5A anyway, as that's what it said to do in step 4 of the second method, but couldn't continue because I was getting the same CID error as earlier when flashing the PG76IMG.zip.

I apologise for wasting your time if I've missed something flagrantly obvious somewhere along the line, but at this point I'm sleep deprived and am seeing little hope of success. Any help you could offer would be brilliant.
I tihnk you should try out the old method of rooting like slimchance has mentioned. It should work.
Unfortunately more and more new phones cannot be rooted using Supertool but the old zip file method should work for ya.
Caro332 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #627 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for this very clear and helpful guide. The only slight hiccup I had was at step 4B, Supertool reported that the phone had been rooted, but in fact it had not. I followed the manual rooting instructions and all was well.
Lathdari is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #628 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

EDIT - Surely I can't do the manual method because I can't install CWM because of the CID error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzaJB View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe 2.26 can not be rooted using those methods that use "zergRush", you can downgrade by forcefully flashing a 2.13 rom to your phone from fastboot OR root after installing CWM.

I apologize if i'm not much use but i'm new too and am only sharing my findings.
How would I go about forcefully flashing from fastboot? Will downgrading to 2.13 and rooting then using ZergRush solve my CID problem, or will I just find myself still unable to install CWM even after rooting because of these CID errors?
TangentDroid is offline  
Last edited by TangentDroid; June 19th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #629 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): HTC 510c on Virgin Mobile Rooted and S-off
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Almost there, but...

VM HTC 510c... CDMA-

I have been at this for a couple of hours every night for a week... lot's of issues, but have battled back with the help of everyone here! But, I am still not done.

The only thing that I am sure worked on the first time was HTC's bootloader unlock. I went to continue process-- somethings worked, some didn't. One thing I am not sure worked was Alquez's unofficial CWM Recovery 5.0.2.6 (and moved .zip to SD Card)...

I decided (right or wrong) to go back to stock RUU- which I downloaded from goo.im. Then I did the OTA update from the phone. I tried a couple of things... not sure exactly what and what order, but when I do HBOOT;

*** UNLOCKED ***
and, I see: S-OFF

both good signs... but, then it continues on process...

SD Checking
Loading PG76DIAG.zip
No Image
Loading PG76DIAG.nbh
No Image or wrong image!
Loading PG76IMG.zip
<< then something flashes quickly which I can't read>>

Parsing ... [sd zip]
[1] Recovery
Do you want to start update
<vol up> yes
<vol down> no

I say no <vol down>, then wfs says:

Cancel Update!
Press <Power> to Reboot

And I do press power to reboot.... I am not sure if I need to hit [1] in previous step? Remember I tried Alquez's unofficial CWM Recovery 5.0.2.6 (and moved .zip to SD Card) before I reloaded RUU...

I tried to connect USB, but doesn't say USB HBOOT because it is in this Reboot mode most likely.

How can I proceed to get root?
ek100001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #630 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): HTC Sensaton XL,HTC ONE+,Samsung S4,And Spice MI - 436
Carrier: MTNL,BSNL,Airtel,MTS

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Cry wildfire s giving black screen with CWM recovery mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia View Post
Actually, I believe recovery has been flashed and the phone rooted already. They just need to know how to access Recovery and reboot the phone.
CWM NOT WORKING ON MOBILE.....GIVING BLACK SCREEN..WITH 4 LIGHTS LITING UP???

PLZ DNT SUGGEST TO RE ROOT,OR RETURN TO STOCK,OR FLASHING CWM recovery with any aspects...

I have gone pissed off this situation.
plz help me out............
ANY HELP IN THIS REGARD WILL BE appreciated ...

Thanks in advance.
rajanand is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 20th, 2012, 02:46 AM   #631 (permalink)
Member
 
slimchance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK
Gender: Male
Posts: 116
 
Device(s): Samsung S3 Mini i8190N Rooted and running Maclaw's Slim Rom 4.3 with TWRP recovery. Wildfire S (R
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Forget about flashing CWM from a zip file on the SD card.

Those of you who have unlocked the bootloader using HTCdev method will already have the right files in a directory called something like c:\android or c:\fastboot so:-

look back at CafeKapuchia's guide and pay particular attention to the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia View Post
5A. Install ClockworkMod Recovery for WFS
1. Download the official 5.0.2.8 image at ClockworkMod’s index of recoveries. Make sure you choose the right one for your device whether Marvel or MarvelC. Extract the img file from the zip you just downloaded and save it somewhere you can find it later.

2. Boot the phone into HBOOT. (You are a pro at this by now, right? ) After it scans for PG7610.zip, select FASTBOOT and press the power button then connect the USB cable. The word FASTBOOT will change into FASTBOOT USB. If not, then either your USB drivers for the Wildfire S or Android SDK Tools is not installed properly.

3. Open a command prompt in Windows and navigate to the folder where you extracted the recovery image in step 1.

4. Type the following command: fastboot flash recovery [image name.img]. For example:
c:\android\>fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.8-marvel.img
The following video demonstrates this technique almost perfectly and is very well presented. watch it all the way through but the rooting bit is from 9:00 mins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqCk2NiHTTg&feature=plcp

He has download links, too. Top man!
slimchance is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #632 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): HTC Sensaton XL,HTC ONE+,Samsung S4,And Spice MI - 436
Carrier: MTNL,BSNL,Airtel,MTS

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Notsure plz help

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimchance View Post
Forget about flashing CWM from a zip file on the SD card.

Those of you who have unlocked the bootloader using HTCdev method will already have the right files in a directory called something like c:\android or c:\fastboot so:-

look back at CafeKapuchia's guide and pay particular attention to the following:



The following video demonstrates this technique almost perfectly and is very well presented. watch it all the way through but the rooting bit is from 9:00 mins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqCk2NiHTTg&feature=plcp

He has download links, too. Top man!

As i have already stated ,I have tried each aspects,i have done this also and even.

What i am saying is that .....i have already flashed it(erased it) but ...after flashing it is giving black screen after a reboot when choosed recovery....though recovery seems to be working...but not displaying.(i am fully or 101% confirmed that recovery is working and can prove it)but not displaying.

i have other older versions of the same model which are working,but htc have changed something witth the new ones which i cant,understand.

even bootloader ,radio etc are same.
rajanand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #633 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): htc wildfire s marvel a510e
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default For those who have blank screen in recovery

Hi guys!I've just rooted my phone(marvel a510e Orange Romania-2.26.401.3-base band47.23e.35.3038H_7.57.39.10M-hboot 1.09.0099 unlocked via htcdev)using the method described in Recovery Problem - Wildfire S (EU) - Page 3 - xda-developers post#25-yes blind method,after many tries to go into clockwork recovery,or only to root my phone.After i've flashed clockwork after this method [TUTORIAL][ROOT] How to re-root HTC Wildfire S after 2.26.401.3 update - xda-developers I've followed the blind method(after watching youtube videos and counting the steps).
sorinaugusto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #634 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): HTC Sensaton XL,HTC ONE+,Samsung S4,And Spice MI - 436
Carrier: MTNL,BSNL,Airtel,MTS

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinaugusto View Post
Hi guys!I've just rooted my phone(marvel a510e Orange Romania-2.26.401.3-base band47.23e.35.3038H_7.57.39.10M-hboot 1.09.0099 unlocked via htcdev)using the method described in Recovery Problem - Wildfire S (EU) - Page 3 - xda-developers post#25-yes blind method,after many tries to go into clockwork recovery,or only to root my phone.After i've flashed clockwork after this method [TUTORIAL][ROOT] How to re-root HTC Wildfire S after 2.26.401.3 update - xda-developers I've followed the blind method(after watching youtube videos and counting the steps).

THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION........come on.............
rajanand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #635 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): HTC 510c on Virgin Mobile Rooted and S-off
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Can't USB HBOOT

See my post a couple above yours- I can't get to USB HBOOT- on HBOOT the image and diag files aren't being seen causing the HBOOT sequence to ask if I want to start and update?? What will happen if I start an update?
ek100001 is offline  
Last edited by ek100001; June 20th, 2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Didn't look right on board
Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #636 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): HTC Sensaton XL,HTC ONE+,Samsung S4,And Spice MI - 436
Carrier: MTNL,BSNL,Airtel,MTS

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek100001 View Post
See my post a couple above yours- I can't get to USB HBOOT- on HBOOT the image and diag files aren't being seen causing the HBOOT sequence to ask if I want to start and update?? What will happen if I start an update?
TRY your Factory dfault RUU........

Be careful that each specific phone its own special firmware.
get your own from forum xda search "football htc wildfire RUU".

DOWNLOAD AND continue while connecting ur mobile. in any mode it dosent matter.
rajanand is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rajanand For This Useful Post:
ek100001 (June 22nd, 2012)
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #637 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
reilus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: At all points of space-time simultaneously per Copenhagen Interpretation, Quantum Mechanics
Posts: 669
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (black; DarthStalker), Samsung Galaxy S4 (white; stock for now), LG Esteem (Ldrif
Carrier: T-mobile

Thanks: 446
Thanked 99 Times in 79 Posts
I no speaky with Googley.
Default

Does this work for SW Version 3.01.1550.2 710RD on Metro PCS in the United States?
__________________
Thank you to developers, moderators, and members of these forums.

Please: be generous with that "thanks" button.
reilus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:37 AM   #638 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): HTC Sensaton XL,HTC ONE+,Samsung S4,And Spice MI - 436
Carrier: MTNL,BSNL,Airtel,MTS

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilus View Post
Does this work for SW Version 3.01.1550.2 710RD on Metro PCS in the United States?

metro pcs have its own specifications,but RUU upgradaion is same for all insted of the RUU file .

Get your location specific RUU AND FLASH IT.

Hit thanks if i helpd you.
rajanand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:13 PM   #639 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): HTC 510c on Virgin Mobile Rooted and S-off
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Reloaded RUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanand View Post
TRY your Factory dfault RUU........

Be careful that each specific phone its own special firmware.
get your own from forum xda search "football htc wildfire RUU".

DOWNLOAD AND continue while connecting ur mobile. in any mode it dosent matter.
Per your suggestion, I ran the factory RUU... got me back to original 1.02.652 [vm cdma]... I know there is an OTA update to 3.01.652.1 -- should I run that first? or try to root via cwm first?

I am S-OFF. and, before redoing the RUU I was UNLOCKED... now, I don't even see LOCKED or UNLOCKED. This is the second time I have run the stock RUU- last time I also did OTA and UNLOCKED showed back up...

Wondering if I should try to root now before an OTA update?
ek100001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:17 PM   #640 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): HTC 510c on Virgin Mobile Rooted and S-off
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek100001 View Post
Per your suggestion, I ran the factory RUU... got me back to original 1.02.652 [vm cdma]... I know there is an OTA update to 3.01.652.1 -- should I run that first? or try to root via cwm first?

I am S-OFF. and, before redoing the RUU I was UNLOCKED... now, I don't even see LOCKED or UNLOCKED. This is the second time I have run the stock RUU- last time I also did OTA and UNLOCKED showed back up...

Wondering if I should try to root now before an OTA update?
OK- couldn't wait and I tried to root via SuperOneClick and it worked!!

I have not applied the updated OTA....
reminder: I am S-Off, rooted and was UNLOCKED (I don't even see LOCKED or UNLOCKED on HBOOT menu)

Q1) Should I update via OTA??
Q2) I was looking for a ROM that takes out virgin mobile bloatware - I thought simonsimon had one, but can't find... any other suggestions for vm cdma 510c?
ek100001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:37 AM   #641 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caro332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 912
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S rooted with CM 10 (RIP); HTC One unrooted; Sony Xperia Z Unrooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 238 Times in 214 Posts
Default

if you do the OTA update, as far as I know, you will be unrooted...So unless you want to go through the whole process again, I would say don't.
Cyanogen is pretty good rom
Caro332 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caro332 For This Useful Post:
ek100001 (June 23rd, 2012)
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:04 AM   #642 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): HTC 510c on Virgin Mobile Rooted and S-off
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Root One and Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro332 View Post
if you do the OTA update, as far as I know, you will be unrooted...So unless you want to go through the whole process again, I would say don't.
Cyanogen is pretty good rom
No thanks- rooting this first time took countless hours... and, a local shop guy who had the phone for three hours and said it was unrootable. Ha! I will not apply the OTA. And, I will check out cyanogen. Thanks for the help!

So, I must have overlooked what was included in the guide-- when it says go back to stock ROM they mean it, go back to stock ROM (with no updates)!

Hopefully, someday, I can shake the noob title.
ek100001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:31 PM   #643 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: India
Gender: Male
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): HTC Sensaton XL,HTC ONE+,Samsung S4,And Spice MI - 436
Carrier: MTNL,BSNL,Airtel,MTS

Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek100001 View Post
No thanks- rooting this first time took countless hours... and, a local shop guy who had the phone for three hours and said it was unrootable. Ha! I will not apply the OTA. And, I will check out cyanogen. Thanks for the help!

So, I must have overlooked what was included in the guide-- when it says go back to stock ROM they mean it, go back to stock ROM (with no updates)!

Hopefully, someday, I can shake the noob title.
Sorry for late reply!!

Hope you have installed CWM recovery.

[INDEX] roms/recovery/guides/kernel/root/... - xda-developers

But wait.......

Warning: GSM and CDMA roms are NOT the same, flashing a rom ment for a different model may result in a brick!..

so choose wisely .

Best of Luck...


Plz hit thanks if i have Help you!!


One more thing.... whenever you need you can Return to your Stock rom.

Ask for the tutorial when you need...so do more with your device fearlessly .
Once again I regret for the late.
rajanand is offline  
Last edited by rajanand; June 23rd, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rajanand For This Useful Post:
ek100001 (June 23rd, 2012)
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:48 PM   #644 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 23
 
Device(s): HTC 510c on Virgin Mobile Rooted and S-off
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanand View Post
Sorry for late reply!!

Hope you have installed CWM recovery.

[INDEX] roms/recovery/guides/kernel/root/... - xda-developers

But wait.......

Warning: GSM and CDMA roms are NOT the same, flashing a rom ment for a different model may result in a brick!..

so choose wisely .

Best of Luck...
I discovered that difference very early one: CDMA v GSM... MarvelC v Marvel... 510c v. 510e (seems to be lots of those)...

On my phone in Rom Manager v5.0.0.7, it says latest recovery is ClockWorkMod 5.0.2.8... and, I am pretty sure it prompted me for CDMA wfs... so, I am confident that I have right one.

It seems there was a lot of focus on wfs cdma in Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb, but looks like fresh stuff has tapered off...

On the link you gave me, I had been checking that out before, and saw that there is a cdma section, but it seems very scant on current info for ROMs for CDMA- and, if they are for CDMA, are they compatible for virgin mobile?
ek100001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #645 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Stuck with RUU Error 130

Hi, I have Marvel A510b branded Telstra. Phone's HBoot version is 0.9. When I download Telstra RUU from HTCDev in Step 2, although it gives me the correct version number but doesn't update and says Error 130 - Find the correct RUU update. I am pretty sure I am using the right RUU update for my Telstra. Can someone help?
hypothrax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #646 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): htc wildfire s marvel a510e
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default a noob question

which is the difference between this:http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.8-marvel.img and this:http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.8-marvel.zip?In zip i did'n find image file.For flashing recovery I need both files?Remember I am rooted(by blind method) but I really want work with recovery for making backup and trying others ROMs.
sorinaugusto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #647 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caro332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 912
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S rooted with CM 10 (RIP); HTC One unrooted; Sony Xperia Z Unrooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 238 Times in 214 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek100001 View Post
No thanks- rooting this first time took countless hours... and, a local shop guy who had the phone for three hours and said it was unrootable. Ha! I will not apply the OTA. And, I will check out cyanogen. Thanks for the help!

So, I must have overlooked what was included in the guide-- when it says go back to stock ROM they mean it, go back to stock ROM (with no updates)!

Hopefully, someday, I can shake the noob title.
Hey ek100001,
I replied to your PM but not sure if you got it...Let me know!
Caro332 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #648 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caro332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 912
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S rooted with CM 10 (RIP); HTC One unrooted; Sony Xperia Z Unrooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 238 Times in 214 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinaugusto View Post
which is the difference between this:http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.8-marvel.img and this:http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.8-marvel.zip?In zip i did'n find image file.For flashing recovery I need both files?Remember I am rooted(by blind method) but I really want work with recovery for making backup and trying others ROMs.
As far as I know they are both the same. Just use the img one, it's better...
Caro332 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caro332 For This Useful Post:
ceewazy (August 3rd, 2012)
Old June 25th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #649 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
 
Device(s): htc wildfire s marvel a510e
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I"ve flashed that(.img),and look is working but for one unknown reason the screen remains black.Also i,ve installed recovery from Rom Manager(install succesfully).I've tried to make a backup from Rom manager,the phone started in recovery(black recovery) and after few minutes i've rebooted the phone pulling out the battery.After i starded the phone in clockwork folder i've found the backup(named by me yyyy/mm/dd stock)but the size is about 27 MB(i wonder because has not enough time.BTW,does anybody solved this problem(black recovery) or even find the reason for cwm not appear on the screen, at least .
sorinaugusto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #650 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Caro332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 912
 
Device(s): HTC Wildfire S rooted with CM 10 (RIP); HTC One unrooted; Sony Xperia Z Unrooted
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 66
Thanked 238 Times in 214 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinaugusto View Post
I"ve flashed that(.img),and look is working but for one unknown reason the screen remains black.Also i,ve installed recovery from Rom Manager(install succesfully).I've tried to make a backup from Rom manager,the phone started in recovery(black recovery) and after few minutes i've rebooted the phone pulling out the battery.After i starded the phone in clockwork folder i've found the backup(named by me yyyy/mm/dd stock)but the size is about 27 MB(i wonder because has not enough time.BTW,does anybody solved this problem(black recovery) or even find the reason for cwm not appear on the screen, at least .
Yes it is a problem that some phone have. Some people claim that installing a lower version of cwm and later on updating it works. However, I have read in XDA forums that clockwork is actually working, it's just that for some reason the screen does not work. So some people have used it blindly, by looking at youtube videos and using it as a guide.
Caro332 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
gsm, root, s-on, wildfire s


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Wildfire S > Wildfire S - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s-all-things-root/480954-guide-how-root-wildfire-s-s.html
Posted By For Type Date
[Q] Install To SD Card - xda-developers This thread Refback June 3rd, 2012 05:20 PM
[HowTo-Wildfire-S]: custom Recovery > perm. Root / custom Rom - Seite 23 - Android-Hilfe.de This thread Refback March 17th, 2012 02:05 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.