February 8th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Thread Author (OP)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Carrier: Not Provided
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tether and increasing speed guide for newbies
I have decided to make this small handy guide for anybody who wants to fully optimize the ZTE Racer. This guide is as simple as possible and straight to the point. You don’t need to have any new firmware or any kernel or whatever they are called as I have never used them. My firmware version is 2.1.This guide is for new tether enthusiasts wanting to tether and for old tether’s wanting a bit of speed. I have used the software and methods which are the most optimal for me to use, meaning they are simple and they work. I hope that my fellow “Racers” benefit from this guide! So let’s go!
I assume you are on the Three network in the UK and have no previous experience so:
How to tether
1) You must root your ZTE Racer, I have used the application called “Universal Androot V.1.6.1” which can be found here:Software2Tech.com Android Root Apps: Updated Universal Androot (1.6.1) Released and Available for Download.. Scroll down to “link” and download. Then transfer to your phones memory and root. (you must perform a root every time you reboot your phone)
2) You need to download “Barnacle Wi Fi Tether” from the android market. Once downloaded set your preferred Network Name then set your wirelesses encryption key to anything you want. Then click on “START” to begin sharing your phones internet.
How to increase speeds
1. Download “2G-3G off” from the android market. Then simply “Touch to enable 3G Data Only”. This application makes sure that 3G is the only data you are using.
2. Download “3G/4G Speed Optimizer”. Enter the application and in the first option scroll down and select “Max Speed low battery” then in the second option select “Down speed increase”
3. Go to your phones settings, go to “Wireless and networks” scroll down to “Mobile Networks”, go to ”Network Mode” then select “WCDMA only”. Then go to “GSM/UMTS Options” go to “Access Points Names” Select “New APN” in the menu then in the name field enter 3 and in the APN field enter “3internet” then “SAVE” and select to use this new APN. (This APN unblocks all websites and opens up your strict NAT settings which are enforced on the standard 3 APN.)
4. Go to your phones settings and select “Accounts & Sync” and untick both boxes.
- If you are on the three network I suggest you invest in the £15 a month all you can eat data which gives you unlimited internet. I have used this plan to download hundreds of gigabytes. I download around 50GB a week.(Blame Netflix)
- Try to use your internet in off peak hours between 2am till 8am.
- Keep your phone plugged in because tethering drains battery
Last edited by UnrealHitman; February 8th, 2012 at 03:18 AM.