• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

“Couldn't move app”

LarryM

Lurker
Apr 4, 2018
First of all, this seems to be a DIFFERENT problem than the one which is often discussed. Don't flame me. I've searched for 2-3 hours for a solution on this forum and several of the other major Android forums including Google and Android.StackExchange.

The phone is a Motorola (Lenovo) XT1527, also known as "Moto E (2nd Generation) with 4G LTE" running Android 5.1. This phone is known for its tiny internal memory, 8GB with 5GB usable. It was bought DIRECTLY FROM Lenovo, not through any carrier so it is their generic GSM/LTE phone with US LTE frequencies. There is NO carrier involvement. (Sorry for the caps but I am trying to forestall incorrect answers.)

The problem is that when after installing apps designed to be moved to the SD card, some apps move and others (which have moved successfully in the past) now report "Couldn't move app." with a tappable "OK."

The common solution reported in many fora is to:
  • Unmount and remove the SD card
  • Mount it in a PC and delete the appropriate blah.blah.tmp.asec file
  • Replace it in the phone and all will be well
Unfortunately this does not help. (Not to digress but it does have one minor side effect. If I try "MOVE TO SD CARD" more than once, I get the "Couldn't move app" message twice on every attempt after the first. Deleting the *.asec file results in only one message appearance for the first subsequent attempt.)

This does not occur for all apps. Some move, others don't. Last week Waze moved. This week it won't. The app I installed before it did move, and the app I installed afterwards did move. A few months ago it was the Kindle app that wouldn't move. I gave up on it and deleted it from the phone.

This problem continues to occur after backing up the phone to Google, wiping it, and re-installing all the apps.

After that detailed preamble, the questions are short and simple:
  1. What can I do to correct this?
  2. If that's unknown, what additional information is required to diagnose the problem and how do I collect it?
Thanks in advance.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones