• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 䮰 ߔ䮰ߔ䮰ߔ ߔ䮰ߔ named file? will not display on android

andyroid4

Lurker
Jun 25, 2017
Hi all,

Scratching my head over this. Downloaded a file and was unable to rename it as it arrived (it's an mp4) . Once it was on my phone, it is not able to displayed due to limitation on the character reading of the Android system (ASCII?).

I can see the files on windows, linux etc but cannot rename/delete them as Android prevents this. Probably due to some security in place for the system.

I attempted using third-party software (ES manager, Ghost commander) but neither of these recognize the chinese character named file either.

I also attempted to reboot in safe mode but Android is not showing or allowing deletion/editing of the file name.

What to do?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer.

Cheers,

Andy

UPDATE
...............................................................................................................................................................................

I just installed 'Explorer' which, surely enough, recognizes this Chinese character file. Was able to delete it no sweat. Hopefully this information might be able to save someone else the hassle I've experienced - reducing a few hours into 20 mins in google and a short visit to the play store....

Last edited:
It's not displaying properly on my Mac either.
filename.jpg

Can see it's some sort of Chinese encoding, but there's something wrong with it.

Android itself usually has no problem at all with Chinese and CJK in general.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your perspective mikedt.

Yeah - I guess with all the custom encoding that can exist outside of standard programmer coded language, there can be some configuration that causes the android system to crate an error and the file will not be displayed.

I find I cannot rename files when I download them using browsers on android. Thus kind of thing can be prevented by allowing a save as option, but for ease of use, android doesn't offer this.

Sadly, many times I have no option but to download a video I want to view as frequent plugin crashes makes my viewing experiences offline only. But then that's mostly my own fault from using little of no apps and having an ancient galaxy S3 device. Otherwise I wouldn't download them and instead would just watch them online.

Upvote 0
Ah - you likely have decent upto date hardware and functioning apps and system then.

My system is completely sealed as I don't approve of the amount of data the apps share and have access to. I use a no-root firewall and block all but the most essential system processes but then I take my personal data collection very seriously.

In the internet world of today, you can have either ease-of-use or anonymity but not both! I go for the second option so I guess I have to put up with a fiddly system!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones