• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 0 for 2. Still only 8-12 hours battery life.

I've tried BB 0.4 with two different kernels no good and kangerade 5.0.9 think. Still no good. Display is always on lowest setting possible but battery usage for display is well over 50. Only lasting 8-12 hours. First 10% drains in 10 minutes. Wtf!!! Overclock widget hasn't helped. And haven't tried setcpu. No credit card. So does setcpu improve battery life dramatically? Never had a problem with battery life before rooted Froyo. Ne suggestions? I just saw a new SS rom and new Chevy kernel. Anyone have any luck with them yet?

I've tried BB 0.4 with two different kernels no good and kangerade 5.0.9 think. Still no good. Display is always on lowest setting possible but battery usage for display is well over 50. Only lasting 8-12 hours. First 10% drains in 10 minutes. Wtf!!! Overclock widget hasn't helped. And haven't tried setcpu. No credit card. So does setcpu improve battery life dramatically? Never had a problem with battery life before rooted Froyo. Ne suggestions? I just saw a new SS rom and new Chevy kernel. Anyone have any luck with them yet?

setcpu will probably make a difference in your battery life, but your battery draining 10% in 10 minutes is a big problem. Never heard of that before. Could be your battery has gone bad. Setcpu can be had for free from XDA as the dev does distribute it there but I would suggest supporting him and buying from the market

Upvote 0
So I have BB V0.4 and a P3 1.1GHz kernel, and I get at least 24 hours on a charge with "Normal" usage. Do you have any programs like meebo or ebuddy installed? I had ebuddy, that kept me logged into Gmail, AIM, and facebook, and was in the same situation as you. Once I got rid of that I was up to at least 24 hours. Then I rooted to BB, and increased my clock speed to 1.1, with setCPU set to 250/1100 and I did not detect any substatial degradation on battery life.

Upvote 0
i think your problem may be your signal. i noticed in your other post about flash 10.1 you stated that you get poor signal while at work. i have the same problem. on a work day my phone searches for a signal often. i dont put it in airplane mode becuse i get enough signal to text. on these days i can only muster ten hours of usage. but when im at home, i can get 24 plus hours. there are threads talking about signal and battery life. search the threads. i had to bring a charger to work.

one of many posts reguarding this:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/46185-quick-battery-drain-bad-reception-buildings.html

Upvote 0
i think your problem may be your signal. i noticed in your other post about flash 10.1 you stated that you get poor signal while at work. i have the same problem. on a work day my phone searches for a signal often. i dont put it in airplane mode becuse i get enough signal to text. on these days i can only muster ten hours of usage. but when im at home, i can get 24 plus hours. there are threads talking about signal and battery life. search the threads. i had to bring a charger to work.

I even have this problem at home too. Not just at work. I have only Facebook but with notification and updates to never. I tried putting in airplane mode at work no good. And I use my phone around every hour or hour n a half. I play music and games and internet. Same thing i was doing before root. I was able to watch a whole movie and still be fine on top of that. Go home with 70% left. Now its below 50% sometimes none.

Upvote 0
i assume your reception is good at home.... have you changed your baseband since rooting? there are a lotta good threads here about battery life including the one i linked to above. i bought a battery from verizon thinking my battery was dead only to have the same problems. search around here hopefully you will find an answer.

Upvote 0
And how are Evo users able to get 3 days of phone use.

By leaving it turned off? I don't see how anyone gets more than twodays of real usage out of their phones. I can do a day and a half if I don't play any games and no gps. If I use either of those for more than an hour I will be charging at the end of the day or sooner.

Hmm...don't I have enough update.zip files?

You don't need any if you use Rom Manager ;)

Upvote 0
Just installed setcpu and little improvement but not much. Now I switched to SS 4.6 rom and the new Chevy ulv 1.0ghz kernel with temp. And so far 1hr or less of standby of no uses 10% battery gone. So I'm guessing it must be the battery. Or Froyo for me. But I guess I all have to deal with it. I can't let go of Froyo. Anything under 0.8ghz is too slow.

Upvote 0
12 hours with a decent amount of use is not too little to expect. I regularly have to charge my phone after 12 hours or so if I've been using it all day. Also, signal does play a huge part in battery life. I've experienced this first hand. When I bring my phone to work, the floor I work on in my building is a reception black hole. My bars are constantly going down and signal reverts to 1x all of the time. So on work days I easily get 25% less life than when I'm home or out and about.

8 hours seems drastically low though. I've never experienced life that bad except when I had no profiles set up on set CPU, using 1100-1200MHz speeds with a medium voltage kernel and heavy phone use. I feel like it's tough to get my battery life that low even if I try.

I would try a new battery, first and foremost.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones