• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

1-23-21 Still Holding Up!

My S8 Active (got new) is working just fine. It has yet to cause me any consternation. The battery is the original and it still holds a few days charge just sitting there. I don't know any other phone, old or new that is as sturdy as the Active. Is there any reason I need to look at a newer phone?

How's yer Active doing?
if it works for you, then there is no need to look for a new phone. just keep in mind that most phones have a shelf life of about 3-4 years. just be prepared that as time goes on the app developers will move on to support the newer android software. also the battery life will also continue to degrade so at some point your battery life will start to go downhill.

Upvote 0
Well, here I am, 17 AUG 22 and still working just fine. I don't know if I really needed it, but I had a new battery installed. It doesn't seem to make that much difference. I can still go for x2 days before it gets down to the teens. I refuel it nightly tho. I look at all the 5G fuss and wonder if I should upgrade. Yet, 5G is not all it's hyped to be (yet). Also, I like the reasonable palm/screen size of the thing. It's easy to pocket unobtrusively; screen sizes have gotten way too big. I guess I'll stick with my Active. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... ;-))

Upvote 0
5G will depend on where you live. Majority of places here in LA has 5G....at least with Verizon. And when you are on 5G, it's so blazing fast and smooth. I also note that the longer I'm on 5G the better my battery life seems to be.

But yeah, as long as your carrier still supports your phone with 4G and volte, then you are free to milk the phone for all its worth. For me though, I always have to have the latest and greatest.

Upvote 0
5G will depend on where you live. Majority of places here in LA has 5G....at least with Verizon. And when you are on 5G, it's so blazing fast and smooth. I also note that the longer I'm on 5G the better my battery life seems to be.

But yeah, as long as your carrier still supports your phone with 4G and volte, then you are free to milk the phone for all its worth. For me though, I always have to have the latest and greatest.

Upvote 0
I travel a lot in my RoadTrek 190P and 5G just isn't in enuf places on the road. 4G in my town is just fine and at home my Active goes VOIP because the 4G is terrible in my house. I especially like the ruggedness of the Active and the small size as I've said. I guess I'll wait and get all I can out of it until 5G become more instituted. Unless of course, the Pixel 8 or 9 keeps its waterproof rating and gets a bit smaller... ;-)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones