• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 1.5 to 2.1 root

Tamasabian

Apr 7, 2010
US/Ohio
I am having trouble with step 10. of the sticky "GUIDE: From stock 1.5 to the latest root 2.1"

I have updated my usb drivers. I have the tools folder but don't know how to open a "directory" to test to make sure "everything is working".

I know a lot of people have done this already and I could use some help.

- Thanks.

I am having trouble with step 10. of the sticky "GUIDE: From stock 1.5 to the latest root 2.1"

I have updated my usb drivers. I have the tools folder but don't know how to open a "directory" to test to make sure "everything is working".

Step 10. You can test to make sure everything is working by going to a command prompt, go to the \tools\ directory of the Android SDK, and type: "adb shell". If you see a "$" (or "#" if you're already rooted) sign you're good.

Assuming you're running windows...
The first thing is open a command prompt. The easiest way is click START then RUN and type cmd. Now there should be an open DOS window (commamd prompt).
Next you need to navigate to your \tools\ directory where you installed your Android SDK. Since I dont know where you installed your SDK you'll have to figure out that part. Mine, for example, is here: C:\android-sdk\tools. So I would type cd C:\android-sdk\tools (the "cd" is for change directory). Yours will most likely be somewhere else.
Once you've navigated to that point, then its just simply typing adb shell and see if you get a $ or #.

Upvote 0
Also some other quick dos commands are:

dir = show directory, this shows you the files in the directory (folder=directory) you are in currently.

cd = change directory you don't need the c:\ if you are on that drive already, just everything that follows the c:\

md = make directory, this is if you need to make a directory or folder in the current directory you are in

rd = remove directory, this will delete a directory/folder from the specified directory.

When doing step #10 in the guide you only need the first 2 commands, the first one dir is just to make sure you are in the correct place, its kinda nice if you type in adb shell and get an error, you might find you are in one directory down from where you need to be.

Upvote 0
Step 10. You can test to make sure everything is working by going to a command prompt, go to the \tools\ directory of the Android SDK, and type: "adb shell". If you see a "$" (or "#" if you're already rooted) sign you're good.

Assuming you're running windows...
The first thing is open a command prompt. The easiest way is click START then RUN and type cmd. Now there should be an open DOS window (commamd prompt).
Next you need to navigate to your \tools\ directory where you installed your Android SDK. Since I dont know where you installed your SDK you'll have to figure out that part. Mine, for example, is here: C:\android-sdk\tools. So I would type cd C:\android-sdk\tools (the "cd" is for change directory). Yours will most likely be somewhere else.
Once you've navigated to that point, then its just simply typing adb shell and see if you get a $ or #.

Ok. I typed in my directory cd C:\Users\Tim\Downloads\android-sdk-windows\tools and then pressed enter. After that I typed in adb shell and the prompt said error: device not found. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I should also note that I am using Windows Vista. I don't know if that matters or not.

I just want to make sure everything is going as it is supposed to before I continue on. :thinking: Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, side note, can someone tell me what the differences between 2.1 root and 2.1 v2 are? Thanks :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones