• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 1.5 to 2.1 upgrade on Ubuntu 10.10.. HELP?!

D

Deleted User

I have the black Rogers HTC Magic I purchased off of eBay with a broken case, I bought the Fender edition replacement case for the HTC MyTouch and with some adjusting it fit nicely.

Only problem now is I'm addicted to this game Pocket Legends for my iPhone so I never use my HTC. The HTC Magic has Firmware 1.5 on it and 2.1 just came out, I was going to download it from the HTC website and upgrade to use my HTC now as Pocket Legends just got released for Android but only works on Firmware 2.1

Little problem being that the download from the HTC site is a .exe file... I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 and I don't own a computer in the house that runs windows..

What do I do?!

I just want to have my HTC Magic upgraded from 1.5 to 2.1 and then "root" it as I've heard people say.. To my understanding "rooting" is the same thing as one would do with an iPhone for "Jailbreaking" ?!

-Ben

Hi i have a rooted Magic and on 2.1 you don't need windows just your phone it self :)
go to settings about phone and i think there should be a option to download update over wi-fi or Data ... thats what I did , I never knew you could use windows o_O
also rooting is NOT like jailbreaking
you can actually get free games and apps from websites even with official firmware
rootings just for like developer stuff or roms and themes like changing apps theme and couler and the status bar :)
hope i answered your questions

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones