• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 1.6 and Battery

Question: Does the program that prevents your phone from sleeping have to be running, or does it just have to be installed on your phone?
It depends on the app. Some apps, mostly widgets, but not always a widget, automatically start when you power up your phone, others only run when you start them manually. The app has to have been started to prevent sleep.

Upvote 0
It depends on the app. Some apps, mostly widgets, but not always a widget, automatically start when you power up your phone, others only run when you start them manually. The app has to have been started to prevent sleep.

So if I have no widgets running, shouldn't I be able to find whats preventing sleep by killing apps one by one with a task killer? Or is uninstalling applications the only way to find out?

Upvote 0
Killing them one by one should work.

In my case, I had an app that, when WiFi was enabled (CONNECTED OR NOT!!!), would constantly check for updates.

Turned that feature of the app off, turned off WiFi unless I was home or at the office, and the phone sleeps fine.

I'm at 35+ hours of uptime with 20% battery left.

Upvote 0
I've read in this thread that pressing the MENU key should not wake up the screen. I need some clarification.

When I press this key, the screen back light turns on, but the phone remains in "locked mode".

Is this proper operation or does this mean my phone is not sleeping properly?
I've used Advanced Task Killer to close any open Apps. this does not affect the aforementioned operation.

Upvote 0
I've read in this thread that pressing the MENU key should not wake up the screen. I need some clarification.

When I press this key, the screen back light turns on, but the phone remains in "locked mode".

Is this proper operation or does this mean my phone is not sleeping properly?
I've used Advanced Task Killer to close any open Apps. this does not affect the aforementioned operation.

your phone isnt sleeping correctly

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones