• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

1.6 it's update has been pulled!

Samsung Vibrant for T-Mobile USA review

If you have a look here, and elsewhere....turns out the Galaxy S isn't such a savior for Samsung....seems like lots of people are reporting reception issues. One blog has said maybe it's a little overblown hype, but going from my own IN-HANDS impression. Last night at the TMO store, the Vibrant was rockin' EDGE, while my BH2 actually had HSPA !! Ouch ....Considering the phones were right next to one another running the same "Antennas" application from the App Market ( An application that gives you an idea of signal strength, to which tower you're connected, and other towers in your area ), I'm a bit disappointed. I checked and the Vibe didn't have 2G-only set ( before someone goes asking ).

I can't say I'm not surprised. I wish I had purchased this phone directly from TMo, instead of 2nd hand, because at this point, I think I would've approached some attornies to open a class action. Regardless, I don't think that necessarily indemnifies Samsung, but ( not to stir the pot that's there ) someone who hasn't defected to the MT3GS should consider stepping up as the prime plaintiff and open a Class Action. It's not like they're not getting enough bad press right now.

I'm just sayin.

Upvote 0
Samsung Vibrant for T-Mobile USA review

If you have a look here, and elsewhere....turns out the Galaxy S isn't such a savior for Samsung....seems like lots of people are reporting reception issues. One blog has said maybe it's a little overblown hype, but going from my own IN-HANDS impression. Last night at the TMO store, the Vibrant was rockin' EDGE, while my BH2 actually had HSPA !! Ouch ....Considering the phones were right next to one another running the same "Antennas" application from the App Market ( An application that gives you an idea of signal strength, to which tower you're connected, and other towers in your area ), I'm a bit disappointed. I checked and the Vibe didn't have 2G-only set ( before someone goes asking ).

I can't say I'm not surprised. I wish I had purchased this phone directly from TMo, instead of 2nd hand, because at this point, I think I would've approached some attornies to open a class action. Regardless, I don't think that necessarily indemnifies Samsung, but ( not to stir the pot that's there ) someone who hasn't defected to the MT3GS should consider stepping up as the prime plaintiff and open a Class Action. It's not like they're not getting enough bad press right now.

I'm just sayin.

The problem you speak of is a non issue, people have been able to replicate the situation and test it and they came to the conclusion that while it may display edge service speedtests have shown otherwise so basically its only a problem with the signal display. Actual speeds aren't affected.

Upvote 0
I'm out. I took the Cliq XT which will be updated in August according to this:
T-Mobile’s End of the Year Road Map Leaked : AndroidSPIN | Your No.1 source for Everything Android.

I just need a working phone that will hold up until the HTC Desire (or whatever it will be called by the time it drops) - hits the shelves.

The Vibrator is not inspiring any "mania" behind its launch. No long lines. Not sold out. No waiting list. Just meh. It's $149.99 on Let's Talk with a $50 mail-in rebate, bringing it down to $99. - Shades of Behold 2...

Upvote 0
Look I'm really sorry, but what in the world were you thinking about lol!!!!

Do you mean the VIBRANT!?!?!? lmao!!!!

OMG you made my day lol

Like I said Real, you're new around here, LOL - People who know my sense of humor know that I tend to "coin phrases" to use: I said Vibrator on PURPOSE. Just as I use the word Samsux on purpose. I also refer to the Behold 2 as the SB2 and MoCliq for the Motorola Cliq.

But since it made you laugh, that was the goal. Though I cannot take credit for being the first to call the Vibrator (another poster did that, I simply borrowed it) by its better descriptive name, it fits, LOL

Upvote 0
I tell ya this...that would have been a monster of a device no doubt but if the gs2 was already ready that would be a very bad sign for the vibrant as it would already signal an end of life for the original gs. I'm sure there will be more s phones as it is part of a series of devices in the s-life brand. But to already be in testing before the original was released not the best sign IMO

Upvote 0
I tell ya this...that would have been a monster of a device no doubt but if the gs2 was already ready that would be a very bad sign for the vibrant as it would already signal an end of life for the original gs. I'm sure there will be more s phones as it is part of a series of devices in the s-life brand. But to already be in testing before the original was released not the best sign IMO

Thats true.

Upvote 0
I just hate people dissing products for null reasons especially when its a great product in regards to everything basically. the only people able to compete performance wise with samsung is motorola. HTC can't compare. yeah it may get dual core first but you best believe once Samsung produces dual core at the same size it will out perform. Regardless of all the problems with samsung their build quality is excellent.

Its called being sensible. Diss and Boycott Samsung all you want but they are great competitors with their build quality and hardware.

In the mobile world today where else would you find an android phone with 16gb's built in? and still have an expandable 32gb's of storage? Motorola possibly but Samsung is cheaper and somewhat more efficient. Samsung is forever adapting to the popular market and bringing something new. In America the first Amoled device was the BH2 guess who caught on? everyone. Now they created Super Amoled and you know who will catch on eventually? everyone.

Whether the phone has impeccable specs or not, the company BEHIND it and their policies toward their users are what mean the most to me ongoing. Can you trust that company to stand behind that phone? Or will that phone have an early EOL?

Regarding purchasing a phone on specs alone: If one disposes of a phone each time a new one drops, the above becomes a moot point. If you are only planning to keep your phone for a short time, I understand this logic.

To those of us with families who need to watch our bottom line, it is important to do our due diligence and spend wisely. The most glaring point for me is that this company has a proven abandonment rate which cannot be ignored. "Once bitten, twice shy."

No company is previewing a phone today with lousy specs. It's a competitive playing field. That being said, tomorrow's phones will have greater specs and so on. The Galaxy is not the be-all-end-all in cell phones.

Tmo is said to be dropping at least 6 new Android phones before the year ends. 3 - Motos, 2 - HTC'S and 1 LG. - I don't for one moment believe that ANY of these phones will be under-spec'd. - Which means that I don't have to compromise my integrity to NOT patronize Samsux, in order to get a top-of-the-line Android phone.

There are two supposed Tmo branded HTC's that interest me coming down the pike: The Vanguard and the Emerald Project (either of which may be my formerly named HTC Desire).

Until then, my warranty replacement will suffice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones