• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 1.6 R8 - Black notification bar

spiz

Android Expert
Feb 14, 2010
Redmond, OR
I'll try to update for Microhaxo as he comes out with revisions to the black notification bar.

Microhaxo's latest black notification bar is located here:
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

This now has a subtle glow behind the clock, which in my opinion, works great and looks better than white font. No sense in having two clocks on my screen. :)

Here is a screen shot of the current bar:

snap20100412205954.png

HUGE THANKS to Microhaxo for working on this non stop today!

Any word on this so far?

At least a Week... I'm not touching android for that amount of time... I'll be still posting ( Likely more ) trying to help out now.... Once I get a bit of rest I'll start working again....

Top on the List...
- Get the De-odex build working correctly, it run's but I lose data....
- Start Looking at Vibrate Fix
- Edit a Few App.
- Status bar Mod... ( I have Manup456 edit them... He's the Best Themer I've ever Met )...

- Scratch the Hero Port & Focus on getting 1.6 Running Perfect...
- If I can Get 1.6 working 100% I'll move onto 2.1 & then maybe try get Hero working.

Regarding MetaMorph..... It works just Fine!!! You have to take out the Zip & Zipalign, Then adb push both File's into /system/bin then chmod 0755 both Files!

But, I've not touch android since R8 & already feel out of place.... So likely I won't be taking much time off from it..... I still Have the Cliq I need to Dev for as well, now that it's rooted again...

I'll Fix R9 so MetaMorph work with out any Mod's being done for those that want it working.... I'll Also be including Advance Launcher again...

So, for now Just hang in there guys... :D I have big plans for 1.6 & R8 was just minor bug fixes, as I think I have the Bug issue's fixed in the Current build I'm running right now... I'm not even Running R8... Currently Running likely the next Build Release...

Also, Just want to say thanks to everyone that has Sent Donation... :D Got some Really cool baby Toy's with it... I also want say thanks, yet again for all the support the Community has Shown me & How great it is that everyone tries there Best to help one another!!!

~BH_MAN

Upvote 0
At least a Week... I'm not touching android for that amount of time... I'll be still posting ( Likely more ) trying to help out now.... Once I get a bit of rest I'll start working again....

- Scratch the Hero Port & Focus on getting 1.6 Running Perfect...
- If I can Get 1.6 working 100% I'll move onto 2.1 & then maybe try get Hero working.

~BH_MAN

that is the greatest idea, Hero port is not the craziest issue at hand i belive "Getting the car running before u go out and get rims" 1.6 isnt even fully working so no need for hero port just for looks yet, 2.1 is even more important then hero lol...keep up the good work BH_Man

Upvote 0
Alright, i am posting here because i shouldnt keep posting in the other thread.

Here is the rundown!

I've edited the files to change the status bar to black with white text. For some reason, NO IDEA WHY the clock font will not change.

I've done everything that normally would be done. In fact i am almost convinced that for some reason the code that controls the clock font color is not located in status.

For the purpose of someone else maybe discovering the problem, or saving bh_man some time; here is what i have done:

I de-odexed the services.jar file, edited these files:
StatusBarService.smali
StatusBarIcon.smali

and then i of course added in the statusbar_background image into the framework-res drawable.

Then the last file is the status_bar.xml file located in layout.

Here is where things are SUPPOSED to be:

CLOCK -> com/android/server/status/StatusBarService.smali
DATE -> com/android/server/status/StatusBarIcon.smali
NOTIFICATIONS -> framework/framework-res.apk/res/layout/status_bar.xml

What is working:
DATE, NOTIFICATIONS

Not working
CLOCK

My conclusion:
Either i'm seriously missing something or, more likely the code to control the clock font is missing from where it should be and will have to be hunted down.

Download:
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download BlackStatus1.6.rar

Image:
snap20100412_190522.png

and
67952665uy.jpg

To install if you dont mind the clock....

just adb push the framework-res.apk and services.jar to /system/framework/

reboot

This one has a little glow where the clock would be, didnt test to see if it fits alright but you should see the clock a lil better.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DBC8OM83

Upvote 0
er how do i "adb push" im a nooblet lol i just follow directions, lol ...(i managed to follow directions correctly for rooting and installin the 1.6 galaxy) so i think ill manage

EDIT: ooo i got it lol tell me if i did it right lol

adb push framework-res.apk \system\framework same thing with the other file

Upvote 0
Regarding MetaMorph..... It works just Fine!!! You have to take out the Zip & Zipalign, Then adb push both File's into /system/bin then chmod 0755 both Files!

Seconding this motion! I spent way too long last night figuring out why metamorph didnt work until I found a random post stating that I may be missing zip & zipalign.

Thanks again for your hard work, having these busybox utils out of the box will be a real treat!

Regarding use of MetaMorph themes, specifically those I have found on xda-devs, can we use the ones for cyanogen as well or just the ASOP (AOSP?) releases? I am using an ASOP theme with no issue currently on your R8 release.

Reactions: Ohgami
Upvote 0
Found something that may help... I think there is another text that you missed. I have the weatherbug app, and it shows the temp on the notification bar, and that is black as well... There must be a general text color that you missed or something? Maybe? I'm looking through the files right now to see if I can find something... I'll let ya know

Upvote 0
Seconding this motion! I spent way too long last night figuring out why metamorph didnt work until I found a random post stating that I may be missing zip & zipalign.

Thanks again for your hard work, having these busybox utils out of the box will be a real treat!

Regarding use of MetaMorph themes, specifically those I have found on xda-devs, can we use the ones for cyanogen as well or just the ASOP (AOSP?) releases? I am using an ASOP theme with no issue currently on your R8 release.

zip & zipalign is Not a Busybox Utility at all! And regarding Busybox, Every install I've made has had the Most complete Command Line set you can think of..

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones