• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

1 Google Currents sync = 9% battery drain.

SolidOrange

Android Expert
Sep 10, 2010
Clemson, SC
i really like Google Currents, but the battery drain is absolutely insane! i have been trying to figure out which app was murdering my battery, and finally narrowed it down. check out these screenshots, taken 10 minutes apart.

baseline:
Screenshot_2012-02-04-19-33-45.png

after syncing Currents:
Screenshot_2012-02-04-19-44-36.png

Screenshot_2012-02-04-19-46-14.png

:eek: is anyone else experiencing this??

Currents really isn't designed to be an actively syncing application. It's like a newspaper substitute - sync overnight and grab it in the morning, or sync once during the day.

It pulls a pretty significant amount of data because it's syncing everything - images, all the articles you aren't reading, etc. from all of the sources you have set up.

This is why the shortest sync period you can select is 6 hours... and everyone's experience will be different depending on the sources they have, both number and type (for instance, I have several photographic sources which use more data than news articles).

Reactions: SolidOrange
Upvote 0
Currents really isn't designed to be an actively syncing application. It's like a newspaper substitute - sync overnight and grab it in the morning, or sync once during the day.

It pulls a pretty significant amount of data because it's syncing everything - images, all the articles you aren't reading, etc. from all of the sources you have set up.

This is why the shortest sync period you can select is 6 hours... and everyone's experience will be different depending on the sources they have, both number and type (for instance, I have several photographic sources which use more data than news articles).

I do only sync it once a day, but i will have to remember to do it while plugged in from now on, lol.

I still think that number is high for 5 minutes of uptime. Even angry birds doesn't drain it that fast. :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones