1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General 1 year or 2 year plan with TB?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by walleyealx, Feb 16, 2011.

1. walleyealx

walleyealx Newbie

A one year plan makes sense to me with all of the new phones coming out at the end of the year; however, if Verizon puts a premium on 4G plans within that year, I would probably be better off keeping my "old" plan ($30/month for everything) rather than upgrading my phone (the reason for signing a 1 year contract) and signing a new contract.

So... I guess my question is... do you think that Verizon is going to change the pricing for 4G phones within the next year? I guess I realize that it would only be like a $70 risk, but if its not necessary that I'll just stick with the 2 year plan and save the dough.

Advertisement

2. rdubbs007

rdubbs007 Well-Known Member

Once you are locked into the contract at $30 for unlimited LTE then nobody can F that up but you (by changing our contract in any way shape or form). If you keep it exactly the same forever they have to grandfather you in to that plan ... forever.

3. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert

I'm getting a two year since I preordered at best buy (I get a super discounted protection plan, think $60 for 2 years) and free buy back, so in a year/less than that, I'll get back 40-50% of what the retail of the phone was when I bought it for the purchase of a new phone

4. walleyealx

walleyealx Newbie

Yeah, I know I'll be locked in price-wise until I resign with a 1 or a 2 year plan. But I could try to save $70 by getting a 2 year plan if verizon decides to change the 4G pricing plan within the next year.

5. rdubbs007

Even if they do and you simply upgrade your phone, as long as you make absolutely no changes to your plan and just renew then it remains the same.

6. walleyealx

walleyealx Newbie

do you mean upgrade as in - buying an upgrade on your own, or -getting the "1 year" or "2 year" price?

If its the latter, I can just get the cheaper upgrade price and not change anything whatsoever? If so, that makes things a lot easier!
    :)

7. rdubbs007

I mean getting the 10 month upgrade pricing (the price you pay as if you were buying the phone on a new contract)

8. walleyealx

walleyealx Newbie

Ah... so there is absolutely no negative in getting a 1 year plan other than the extra $70 or so upfront.

thanks!

9. Unless the next generation of phones require a $40 data plan. If you got a new phone, then you had to get a data plan with it. Your voice plan can be grandfathered, but the data plans are based on the phone you have. And I'm guessing at some point the $29.99 plans will not be available for the 4g phones. This is at least my experience going through the website and store when I upgraded to my Eris from a windows phone.

Remember, Verizon considers a data plan as an add-on feature to your voice plan. Thus, you can get grandfathered into a voice plan, but not necessarily the data plan.