• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root *****10/4/13*****New OTA DO NOT DOWNLOAD IF YOU'RE ROOTED

MizzouBrent

Android Expert
Feb 13, 2011
Olathe, KS
10/4/13 DO NOT ACCEPT THIS OTA!!!!!
this one only updates hd voice, but it includes Radio 1.13.11.0830, PRI 3.02_003 & a few other smaller updates.....however, moonshine will not work.

update:11/1/2013 we now have rumrunner to get s-off now

1/31/2013:
Proximity sensor improvements while on a call or listening to voicemail
- Ability to output audio/video to HDTV (and other external displays via MHL cable
- WiFi Connection improvements
- Bluetooth compatibility improvements
- Android process/application shutdown resolved
looks like no new hboot, but the radios and touch panel was updated.

here is a word of warning from captain throwback:
CapThrowback said:
Anyone that is S-ON and rooted with a custom recovery should AVOID RELOCKING taking this OTA AT ALL COSTS!!!!

If you do, you won't be able to access your recovery.

See here, for example: TWRP Touch Screen Won't Work - xda-developers

You shouldn't do it anyway, as is stated multiple times in this thread and in bold print in the topic, but I felt I should reiterate due to the current finality of the touch panel situation.

The new tp_SYN3032.img (touch panel image) prevents any access to the touch screen in custom recovery, or in custom (non-stock) ROMs. I initially flashed the full firmware and had this happen to me. Rolling back to the version from the previous ROM version (3.15) gets it working again, but it was a hassle to deal with.

I also posted up some stock rooted full ROM versions of the OTA here in case anyone really wants to try it. And of course my firmware thread has the full firmware minus the problem images already posted.

So please, use the above resources, and do not learn the hard way!!

update from the captain:
CapThrowback said:
UPDATE: A TWRP update has been released that restores touch screen functionality (2.4.1.0). So if any poor saps actually took the OTA while S-ON, at least they can still flash stuff.

But again, people wouldn't have been in that predicament if they hadn't updated in the first place :rolleyes:.
12/13/2012:
new OTA update is out:
HTC - EVO 4G LTE (X325c)

Hboot version: 2.09

Software Version: 3.15.651.16

Release Date: 12-13-12

Method: Over The Air

Version: 2.87_003

Fixes:
WiFi Authentication Improvement
Personalized Ringtone Issue fixed
Hyperlinks routing to Phone App from Calendar description issue fixed
Calendar Reminder Improvement
Upgrade to Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
Improved Browser performance
Face Unlock Improvement
Sprint Connections Optimizer
Application Improvements to YouTube, Google+, Gmail, Maps, and more.
HTC Sense 4+
Improved Camera Capabilities
Improved Gallery

old OTA's
8/29/12 OTA Sense 4.1, android 4.0.4, new H-boot 1.19
Sprint Community: 8/29: HTC EVO 4G LTE Software Update 2.13.651.1 (MR2)
HTC EVO 4G LTE Software Update - 2.13.651.1 (MR2)

Enhancements/Fixes:
- Browser no longer randomly closes from bookmarks
- Bluetooth fix (minor)
- Latest Version of Google Wallet
- Latest Version of Visual Voicemail
- LTE Scanning Improvement

Rate your HTC EVO 4G LTE
More information about your device in Support

Important Notes:
- Software version is: 2.13.651.1 (MR2)
- Released in stages. If your device doesn't receive the update on the first day, please be patient and
check back later.
- Refer to the HTC EVO 4G LTE Software Updates for install instructions
-------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the full changelog

Sprint EVO 4G LTE Update v1.22.651.3 Rolling Out, Finally Fixes Google Wallet Along With A Bunch Of Other Things Sprint EVO 4G LTE Update v1.22.651.3 Rolling Out, Finally Fixes Google Wallet Along With A Bunch Of Other Things

Seriously don't download it. Wait for a rooted version to be released. You could bork your phone. Do you really want that???

This update addresses:

Google security updates
Wifi disconnect issue
Time zone issue
Google Wallet fix
Side loaded video pause issue Random power cycling issue
Pioneer Bluetooth Car Kit connection issu
Gallery app crash
Calendar reminder (all day even time) issue

Anyone with root (but s-on/stock) give this a shot with OTA Rootkeeper?

So I'm Zedomax rooted, but stock rom/S-On, so as far as I understand, I don't have an outside Recovery flashed and cannot flash zips to the phone; what exactly am I missing and/or waiting for? Would the correct process be accepting the OTA but with OTA Voodoo Rootkeeper?

Upvote 0
So I'm Zedomax rooted, but stock rom/S-On, so as far as I understand, I don't have an outside Recovery flashed and cannot flash zips to the phone; what exactly am I missing and/or waiting for? Would the correct process be accepting the OTA but with OTA Voodoo Rootkeeper?

Here's what I posted in reply to your question in the other thread:

A couple of reports over on AC of taking the OTA rooted but on stock recovery. One reported that he used Voodoo Root Keeper and was able to restore root; the other said the OTA broke root (of course), but no follow-up on if he tried a root-keeper or simply re-rooted.

A couple of others with root and custom recovery tried to take the OTA but it just didn't flash, as expected.

I'm personally holding off on the OTA until I've seen more reports come in on how well it behaves with all the combinations of root/recovery/unlock/s-on/s-off. Or until a known safe rooted update.zip is posted that I can flash in recovery.

It appears that accepting the OTA if you're s-on with stock recovery using OTA Voodoo Rootkeeper works. But that's with only one data point that I know of.

Reactions: NeoteriX
Upvote 0
Thanks for doing the leg work on this. Would you be willing to aggregate the proper course of action per root method on the top of this sticky?

Thanks!

If you are stock rooted with the stock recovery (locked & S-on) you can take the OTA but may lose root.

If you are unlocked or S-OFF do not take the update, wait for a flash-able updated ROM

Upvote 0
If you are stock rooted with the stock recovery (locked & S-on) you can take the OTA but may lose root.

If you are unlocked or S-OFF do not take the update, wait for a flash-able updated ROM

If I am stock rooted with stock recovery I should use OTA Root Keeper?

(Sorry if I'm redundant and slow here. I had a full root on mt OG Evo, so this 'soft root' stuff is new territory to me.)

Upvote 0
If I am stock rooted with stock recovery I should use OTA Root Keeper?

(Sorry if I'm redundant and slow here. I had a full root on mt OG Evo, so this 'soft root' stuff is new territory to me.)

I have no personal experience with that, but based on other's responses I would say you will need something like that to keep root.

Reactions: CYNICALifornia
Upvote 0
I would personally advise against any OTA updates, regardless of method.

If this OTA does mess with the bootloader, then I think that many will rue the day they avoided this warning.

Once upon a time it was an inviolate rule of rooting - never, never, never accept an OTA. The "accept OTA/re-root/try-to-preserve root" school is one I'll never accept - look at the 1.5 year history of people doing it and right after declaring victory, crying that they're stuck until new exploits can be found.

The s-off unlocking of the bootloader expects a specific exploit - will it remain? The Regaw one-click goes through HTC anonymously selecting "other supported device" - with that still work with this bootloader?

Your mileage may vary, do as you all think best.

No one has ever been jammed up following the "just wait, don't accept the OTA advice" - ever. Plenty of those who went the other way lived to regret it.

As for "soft root" - I've a thread on that - it's a total misnomer, although chosen with good intentions. The "soft root" method is simply perm root, meaning - permanent root but without a custom recovery nor unlocked bootloader (the requirement for custom recovery).

PS from the OTA Rootkeeper page -

The application doesn't support original Superuser and not SuperSU for a very simple reason. The same feature OTA protection feature is already present in SuperSU.
All of us here are already using SuperSU, so - what's the point of playing with that?

Second PS - No one has ever once regretting following my rooting advice in over two years. I feel like a dork for putting it that way, but I really want to stress the importance of giving this a day or two to sort out.

Confirmed with a big tip of the topper to Sgt. Slaughter (AF member, XDA mod and a friend to all) -

new hboot 1.15.000 inside
We're all on 1.12.xxxx now (1.12.2222 for those staying current).

Upvote 0
Thanks for doing the leg work on this. Would you be willing to aggregate the proper course of action per root method on the top of this sticky?

Thanks!

I would, but I would hate for it to turn into something like "don't do it unless it's a full moon on the second thursday of the month and you're standing on your head while chewing bubble gum" sort of deal.

There's another report of someone that was rooted, stock rom, stock recovery, that the update failed. So the jury is still out.

You can follow things on the thread I started on AC here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/188675-psa-do-not-accept-ota-if-you-rooted.html. I saw that folks were getting OTAs, posted that thread as a warning, then came over here to see how the update was going for you guys. Then I see this post and I'm like "great minds think alike!" lol

Upvote 0
I would personally advise against any OTA updates, regardless of method.

If this OTA does mess with the bootloader, then I think that many will rue the day they avoided this warning.

Once upon a time it was an inviolate rule of rooting - never, never, never accept an OTA. The "accept OTA/re-root/try-to-preserve root" school is one I'll never accept - look at the 1.5 year history of people doing it and right after declaring victory, crying that they're stuck until new exploits can be found.

The s-off unlocking of the bootloader expects a specific exploit - will it remain? The Regaw one-click goes through HTC anonymously selecting "other supported device" - with that still work with this bootloader?

Your mileage may vary, do as you all think best.

No one has ever been jammed up following the "just wait, don't accept the OTA advice" - ever. Plenty of those who went the other way lived to regret it.

PS from the OTA Rootkeeper page -

All of us here are already using SuperSU, so - what's the point of playing with that?

Excellent advice. Do you mind if I quote this, with reference to this thread and yourself, in my thread at AC?

Upvote 0
Excellent advice. Do you mind if I quote this, with reference to this thread and yourself, in my thread at AC?

You're more than welcome to, but last time (that I'm aware of, someone sent me a link last year) someone quoted one of my posts from here and named me over at AC, the mods took it down as against the standard competing-site clause in the site rules.

We have one of those clauses too, we're just not wrapped really tightly about it, especially when phone failure is on the line. Then again, we're the oldest and largest Android self-help site and the old adage applies - our house, our rules, their house, their rules.

Myself, I like to give to credit where due because I think we're all in this together. ;)

Upvote 0
Ah, the change in the bootloader is something new. I didn't want to rush into the LazyPanda S-OFF because the last I saw in the thread here was that it was bricking phones and people were still in the midst of investigating. Is there any new word on that front?

Yes.

We're pretty confident that 1) the unbrick method works (we think we're past true bricks to just a stuck state on Qualcomm Download Mode), and 2) a simple live CD or USB stick set up to do the s-off in Linux with that unbrick tool on stand-by (it only works in Linux) is the way to go. It avoids all of the Windows pitfalls associated with USB drivers, the cause of most trouble - and leaves you ready to go to bypass the Qualcomm condition.

Granite has been working on a fool-proof step by guide for that.

If anyone wants to take the pieces as-is and go for that solution, ping me in this thread, I'll assemble the instructions from our existing successful posts on this.

Upvote 0
You're more than welcome to, but last time (that I'm aware of, someone sent me a link last year) someone quoted one of my posts from here and named me over at AC, the mods took it down as against the standard competing-site clause in the site rules.

We have one of those clauses too, we're just not wrapped really tightly about it, especially when phone failure is on the line. Then again, we're the oldest and largest Android self-help site and the old adage applies - our house, our rules, their house, their rules.

Myself, I like to give to credit where due because I think we're all in this together. ;)

I'll give it a shot. I wasn't aware of the competing-site clause. Was I out of bounds for posting a link to one of my threads at AC in this thread (post 10)?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I'll give it a shot. I wasn't aware of the competing-site clause. Was I out of bounds for posting a link to one of my threads at AC in this thread (post 10)?

I know a mod or two here - I wouldn't worry a lot about that. ;) :D ;)

Pimping other sites for the sake of pimping is something we will shut down.

Trying to link communities to prevent bad phone karma - isn't that what we're supposed to be about?? ;)

Upvote 0
New Radio Firmware!

Courtesy of another great member of this site and XDA and another friend to all -

Captain_Throwback at his XDA post said:
There are radio updates :D

(images in his post at xda-developers - View Single Post - Software upgrade available now.)

I have a bootloader flashable firmware zip available for those who are S-OFF I will be uploading shortly.

For those UNLOCKED with HTCDev, I'll have the recovery-flashable radio posted shortly thereafter.

Captain_Throwback in his next XDA post said:
Here's the Bootloader flashable for the S-OFF folks (I'll be adding this to the radio thread):

Dev-Host - PJ75IMG_Jewel_Firmware_1.22.651.3.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

[RADIOS] Jewel Radio Collection - Latest: 1.05.11.0606 - xda-developers

When the smoke settles, one of us with make a radio thread for this and add to the root sticky here.

Big props to our pals at XDA for this fine work.

Highly recommend installing only with the new update bits (when ready) - these things often go hand-in-hand.

Upvote 0
I'll be curious to see if they closed the lazypanda exploit in the new bootloader for sure. That's one of the reasons I was in a rush to get s-off before I did any updating. These loopholes come and go pretty quickly.

And for anyone that wants the update so bad they're willing to risk an ota, just relax. As already shown these hit the forums pretty quickly and will be incorporated into your favorite rom within days. There's really no reason to take it ota. Not only will it be safe to flash, but it will probably work better once the devs get done with it anyway.

Upvote 0
I'll be curious to see if they closed the lazypanda exploit in the new bootloader for sure. That's one of the reasons I was in a rush to get s-off before I did any updating. These loopholes come and go pretty quickly.

There's absolutely no doubt about it, as insisted earlier, and now -

Captain_Throwback at XDA said:
FeedPanda "Cannot find the panda?" :(.

So, unless the LP team updates the exploit, it looks like if you want S-OFF and don't have it yet, you shouldn't take this OTA update.

And THIS is why I made sure I got a 1st-gen device :).

Adding insult to injury -

Captain_Throwback at XDA said:
Well, bad news on this front -

With the newest HBOOT, splashes and radios are no longer flashable in recovery when UNLOCKED with HTCDev. Looks like they "fixed" that "issue." :(

And for anyone that wants the update so bad they're willing to risk an ota, just relax. As already shown these hit the forums pretty quickly and will be incorporated into your favorite rom within days. There's really no reason to take it ota. Not only will it be safe to flash, but it will probably work better once the devs get done with it anyway.
Or look at people in the other forums who thought they could outfox that advice - and are singing the blues now that they are screwed, blued, and tattooed - right in threads like this where they were warned not to do it.

Sucks to be them, but it is what it is.

Sure glad our gang didn't go the wrong way.

Upvote 0
Yes.

We're pretty confident that 1) the unbrick method works (we think we're past true bricks to just a stuck state on Qualcomm Download Mode), and 2) a simple live CD or USB stick set up to do the s-off in Linux with that unbrick tool on stand-by (it only works in Linux) is the way to go. It avoids all of the Windows pitfalls associated with USB drivers, the cause of most trouble - and leaves you ready to go to bypass the Qualcomm condition.

Granite has been working on a fool-proof step by guide for that.

If anyone wants to take the pieces as-is and go for that solution, ping me in this thread, I'll assemble the instructions from our existing successful posts on this.

Yes the unbrick tool has been confirmed to work by several members over at XDA, and across the forui. :)

The Live CD isn't very hard to set up, though it may be time consuming depending on your internet connection speed and your PC optical drive read speed. It took me about 30 minutes +/- to get everything working properly with a live CD.

I have been working on a S-OFF guide, and I'm just about done. Shouldn't have taken this long, but a lot of outside forces have been stealing my chi lately. :eek:

My apologies on the delay

New Radio Firmware!

Courtesy of another great member of this site and XDA and another friend to all -

[RADIOS] Jewel Radio Collection - Latest: 1.05.11.0606 - xda-developers

When the smoke settles, one of us with make a radio thread for this and add to the root sticky here.

Big props to our pals at XDA for this fine work.

Highly recommend installing only with the new update bits (when ready) - these things often go hand-in-hand.

The Cap'n strikes again!! We'll have to get that thread added to the All Things Root Guide pronto!!

+1000

No need to OTA it, patience is a virtue. ;)

Remember when Gingerbread was released for the OG Evo? 3 months or so later a root method became available. I'm not willing to take that chance for a maintenance update. :)

I'll try really hard to get the S-Off (work in progress) thread posted tonight. With EM's blessing and Midas touch of course. :p

Upvote 0
Another reason NOT to accept the OTA!!!!!

Well, bad news on this front -

With the newest HBOOT, splashes and radios are no longer flashable in recovery when UNLOCKED with HTCDev. Looks like they "fixed" that "issue." :(

FeedPanda "Cannot find the panda?" :(.

So, unless the LP team updates the exploit, it looks like if you want S-OFF and don't have it yet, you shouldn't take this OTA update.

And THIS is why I made sure I got a 1st-gen device :).

It also may be that kernels are not flashable when unlocked

Upvote 0
So, am I right in assuming that if you want the updated radios, you need to flash it before flashing the stock rooted ROM? I am rooted, HTC unlocked, s-on.

EDIT: NVM, just saw answer in other thread.
Now, my question is does flashing the stock rooted ROM update the bootloader as well? I'm assuming it's just like flashing any other ROM.

Upvote 0
Now, my question is does flashing the stock rooted ROM update the bootloader as well? I'm assuming it's just like flashing any other ROM.

No, flashing a ROM does not touch your recovery, radios, or bootloader.

Flashing the updated ROM will leave you with the old H-boot (which is exactly what you want)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones