• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

10% awake time, almost dead overnight, normal?

kinetic

Oct 27, 2009
Just did a factory refresh last night, did not download any apps, no facebook, no flickr login, no outbound text messages sent, gmail set to auto sync.

The battery was about 80% before going to bed and 8 hours later when I woke up it asked me to plug the charger in. Is this normal? Is it really just the gmail auto sync/weather app that killed the battery overnight or are there other factors? There were no missed calls, only an alert about new gmail.

Wow LTZGuy... that's pretty good. I wonder if my phone is doing other things. It's kind of disconcerting that if you miss one day and forget to charge your phone, that it will most likely be dead in the morning, but maybe that's something you have to deal with when having a "smart" phone.

Upvote 0
smart phones have faster processors than conventional phones. smart phones have usually more RAM which requires power to retain whatever is in memory (i.e. if you have an app running.. widgets, etc etc). there could be other things running in the background that caused your battery issue. if you used the built in SMS app that has been know to cause battery drain issues (using outbound sms messages triggers this). low network coverage will also reduce this as well as using BT and WiFi.

if you want to further test. dont install any apps and turn off the phone (put it in airplane mode) and let it sit over night. if your battery is at a good charge in the morn, then you know there's other things running down the battery...

Upvote 0
Does widgets actually drain your battery quickly? (If that's the case I don't see the point of being able to have multiple screens at once, I'd think thats what the widgets were for, to have your battery drain due to widgets is another reason for me to look at other options for a phone.) It seems the phone offers technology you can't use unless you're near a charger all day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones