• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

$10 fee vs EVO 199 price?

Would you prefer the 10 fee waived and pay $299 for the EVO?

I would think that if Sprint have announced that the EVO will cost $299 and no 10 extra fee no one would have said anything.

199 is an excellent price, I paid 250 after MIR for my Palm 755p 3years ago.

My point is consider you are getting a discount upfront with the EVO price and the $10 monthly extra fee is very reasonable, also with Sprint plans as compared to other carriers you still save.

Make your own decision, but I see the pricing very reasonable.

:)

Would you prefer the 10 fee waived and pay $299 for the EVO?

I would think that if Sprint have announced that the EVO will cost $299 and no 10 extra fee no one would have said anything.

199 is an excellent price, I paid 250 after MIR for my Palm 755p 3years ago.

My point is consider you are getting a discount upfront with the EVO price and the $10 monthly extra fee is very reasonable, also with Sprint plans as compared to other carriers you still save.

Make your own decision, but I see the pricing very reasonable.

:)

Depends on how you calculate what's valuable to you. Time value of money and whether you plan to make any phone, plan, or other changes factor in too.

That said, I think Sprint could have made more money by advertising the phone as "free" for limited time during launch with an additional $20-25/month charge and gotten a totally different reaction.

Upvote 0
I HATE obligating future money, let me pay my price up front and be done with it. If the $10/mth is for recouping phone-subsidizing then give me to option to make up the difference.

The reality is, subscription fees are a great way for companies to make money, because companies hold all the advantage with automated billing systems and such. It then falls on the customer to follow-up and fight to keep their money. After a year or two paying the extra $10/mth, what's another month right? It's just too easy to get complacent, and that's exactly what subscription models are designed to count on.

Upvote 0
I HATE obligating future money, let me pay my price up front and be done with it. If the $10/mth is for recouping phone-subsidizing then give me to option to make up the difference.
I hate that too but Sprint pretty much needed to do it this way because they need to retain and add contract suscribers in the worst way.
No... that would be exactly the reason they SHOULDN'T have tacked on an extra fee.

Upvote 0
any smart phone plan makes your premier so if you get the evo you automatically get 1 yr upgrades

Are "premier" 1-year upgrades an additional discount on top of the 2-year contract price? For instance, if you're premier now, would the EVO cost you less than $199 upfront?

For comparisson, Verizon gives you the 2-year contract price after 1 year, but after 20 months, you get a $50 or $100 further discount. How does premier work?

Upvote 0
No... that would be exactly the reason they SHOULDN'T have tacked on an extra fee.

Believe me, I understand the point and am not arguing it. I'm just pointing out that I believe this has as much to do with Sprint saying we're going to offer true, unlimited 3G/4G on 3G/4G devices starting now. I'm not defending Sprint going back on "no additional charge/fee." I'm just saying they very losely translated that to mean "if you don't buy this or any other 3G/4G phone without data caps." So all the rumors about new plans really were somewhat true - removing data caps is something none of the phone plans offered.

As first adopters, we don't like it. But the next group of devices and customers probably won't even notice. At the same time, Sprint will have an established record of still providing value options that VZW and ATT have said they won't.

Certainly I don't want to give up an extra $10, but imagine how this is going to play against the current and upcoming iPhone (still 3G cap-tied) future iPhone and other devices that are LTE/3G compatible but still cap-tied.

I just think this surprise had more to do with Sprint vs ATT/VZW than Evo vs any other phone. I don't think they wanted to have to market Evo directly against iPhone when they can simply say "everything about using your smartphone, including unlimited data, will be cheaper at Sprint." It's right in line with "Our $69.99 is worth more than their $69.99" campaign.

I was more worried Sprint would say you had to get the $59.99 unlimited data plan similar to Overdrive and then have to add $39 or more based on voice minutes. I just couldn't see them selling that + hotspotting separately.

Again, the big mistake was suggesting no additional cost. Had Hesse said $10 a while ago at CTIA, I think there'd be far less of a reaction.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones