• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

$10 Premium Data Fee?

edlex

Android Expert
May 17, 2010
Miami, FL
Well I talked to sprint today to ask about this $10 fee that I heard about on cnet regarding the evo and yes, there is an additional monthly fee associated to adding the phone. She said they didn't tell her exactly why but when I asked if it was for 4G access she said probably. So I told her there isn't any 4G service in Miami she said we would have to pay it anyway. So, unfortunately, I'm canceling my pre order until Miami gets 4G service. I really can't justify paying $120 a year just to play with a new phone. :(

Not going to be able to get a 3G smartphone anywhere else for cheaper even with the $10 surcharge.

I know, but it's the principle of the thing. If my city had 4G then cool, I'm paying for all the extra bandwidth I'm sucking. But come on, I'm paying extra for nothing? I'll just wait, even if I have to suffer reading about you guys playing with it.

Upvote 0
I know, but it's the principle of the thing. If my city had 4G then cool, I'm paying for all the extra bandwidth I'm sucking. But come on, I'm paying extra for nothing? I'll just wait, even if I have to suffer reading about you guys playing with it.

even with the 10 bucks its still cheaper than all other everything data plans on the other big 3 carriers. also free cell phone to cell phone calls. i have 4g in my area (SATX) and even if i didnt, i would still have no problem paying the 10 bucks. look at the 10 bucks as a fee to help bring 4g to your area.

Upvote 0
beat_deadhorse1.gif

Upvote 0
A couple weeks ago I contacted Sprint after reading that the fee applies to every EVO user. I just wanted to verify and this is the reply I received. l'll still be getting this phone and recently found out that 4G will be here in Eugene this summer. Nice! :)

The new HTC EVO, not only supports the next generation of our data network (4G) but also the equipment itself provides an incredible multimedia experience unlike any other cell phone out there from any carrier. As you understand, regardless if you are in a 3G or 4G, we require an additional $10.00 premium data pack. This is because we want our customer to be able to enjoy these data-rich capabilities which does require a more complex data plan. The data experience of EVO is to be enjoyed by all EVO customers, regardless of 3G or 4G networks. The catchy phrase Web Surfing was coined because web browsers found themselves coasting from one website to the next. With EVO, the data capabilities are so rich, customers may lose themselves in endless surf. EVO users will typically consume more data, and the Premium Data Fee assures they have the bandwidth to do it.

Thank you allowing me the opportunity to clarify this plan. I am also excited to inform you that Sprint 4G is expected to be available to up to 120 million people across the US by the end of 2010. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to address your concerns. I am glad to hear you pre-ordered the HTC EVO. I am sure you will enjoy this phone!

Reactions: pelebkf and edlex
Upvote 0
even with the 10 bucks its still cheaper than all other everything data plans on the other big 3 carriers. also free cell phone to cell phone calls. i have 4g in my area (SATX) and even if i didnt, i would still have no problem paying the 10 bucks. look at the 10 bucks as a fee to help bring 4g to your area.

I hear you. And I agree sprints plans are cheaper (13years with sprint) but I'm having a tough time justifying being forced to pay an extra $10 a month for no reason for a phone that most likely will be replaced by something bigger and better in 6 months. I'm not knocking the phone, on the contrary, I think it's awesome but if you're trying to get an extra $10 a month from me then give me something more than just because it's a cool phone. As far as getting 4G in Miami, it's gonna get here whenever they want it to regardless of my $10 monthly donation.

Upvote 0
A couple weeks ago I contacted Sprint after reading that the fee applies to every EVO user and this is the reply I got. I'll still be getting this phone and recently found out that 4G will be here in Eugene this summer. :)

Thank you. That's the first real explanation I've heard. I'm still going to wait for 4G in Miami but at least I feel like I wasn't getting conned.

Upvote 0
Not going to be able to get a 3G smartphone anywhere else for cheaper even with the $10 surcharge.

This $10 does not give you 3G, it "removes" the 5gb cap for data. Since all but bit torrent junkies would never ever get near 5gb in a month, this is a luxury charge for most people- unless you will use 4g, daily.

Reactions: ferbs027
Upvote 0
Since all but bit torrent junkies would never ever get near 5gb in a month

Not so fast... it's quite easy to legitimately consume 5gb in a month.

I have a 2 hour round trip commute to work every day, via the train. I often sit around and watch streaming TV, and keep an eye on my bandwidth, and get very close to that without much effort.

Reactions: pelebkf
Upvote 0
Thank you. That's the first real explanation I've heard. I'm still going to wait for 4G in Miami but at least I feel like I wasn't getting conned.

Clearwire has confirmed that 4G will be rolled out this summer in Orlando, Tampa, and Daytona so hopefully Miami will be soon after!

Reactions: pelebkf
Upvote 0
Not so fast... it's quite easy to legitimately consume 5gb in a month.

I have a 2 hour round trip commute to work every day, via the train. I often sit around and watch streaming TV, and keep an eye on my bandwidth, and get very close to that without much effort.

Ok, so Sprint should refund people the $10 each month if they do not use 4G or go over the 5gb limit :) Point is, most Sprint customers do not have the luxury of even having 3G always, so most people will not get near 5gb. If using wifi, it will not matter anyways.

Tmo and Sprint have similar 3G footprints. Then again, ALL Android devices for the other carriers must have $30 monthly data plans. How much is Sprint's without the $10 charge? If equal to or less than $30, there is really no problem and Sprint is just joining the competition.

That said, it places them closer to VZW price range, which has a much better 3G coverage map for most people.

Upvote 0
This $10 does not give you 3G, it "removes" the 5gb cap for data. Since all but bit torrent junkies would never ever get near 5gb in a month, this is a luxury charge for most people- unless you will use 4g, daily.

Don't get the phone unless Sprint drops the charge if that's what you prefer. I see $10 as reasonable and have not made any comments other than the upside way of looking at the charge that exists as it is now.

If it's a luxury tax, I'm willing to pay and so is anyone who gets the phone. They haven't hidden it so I know what I'm signing up for. If I didn't like it that much, I'd skip the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones