1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

10 Things Android does better than the Iphone

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cirga, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Cirga

Cirga Member
    None

Nov 5, 2009

Advertisement

2. Carl C

Carl C Android Expert
    None

Sep 11, 2009
    Student
    London
    pretty interesting read [​IMG]

3. AstroDonut

AstroDonut Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Brilliant read... certainly cheered me up today :D

4. mat

mat Member
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    I'm a student.
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah, really interesting read and just sums things up really.

5. vincentp

vincentp Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Mortgage Underwriter
    Rochester, NY
    I still giggle with delight every time I see someone point out all of the advantages Android has over the cultPhone.

6. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants
    None

Dec 2, 2009
    Network Admin
    Chicago
    Great read, i bet i can make a list of 100 things Android is better at, WinMo to for that matter

7. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    I bet I can make a list of stuff where "Brand X OS" is better than Android. Sure, Android is nice and all, but there certainly is a limit. I guess what I'm trying to say is, appreciate what you've got, but don't let yourself go off dissin' everything that's not Android just because it's not. :rolleyes:

thermal and 2k2cse like this.
  8. AndroidCrazy

AndroidCrazy Newbie
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    Nicely said...

9. douglerner

douglerner Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    Tokyo
    I found the article interesting.

As an iPhone user, I just recently (like last week) got an Android to use just for testing web apps. I wasn't going for the "latest and greatest" so bought an inexpensive, contract-free LG Optimus Bright new off of an auction site. I wasn't really expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised and posted my first impressions on my blog.

I've been using it a bit this past week, and there are definitely some nice things about Android OS 2.3.3 in comparison to my everyday iPhone 4 running iOS 5 which I noticed pretty quickly, which I would like to mention:

1. Maps app allows rotate. On the iPhone you can use the pinch gesture to expand and shrink. On the Android, in addition to that, you can rotate the maps, which is cool.

2. More things can be made into icons on the home screen (shortcut EverNote notes, settings, etc.). On the iPhone you can have apps and bookmarks to web pages, but the selection of what you can add to the home screen is much more limited than on the Android device.

3. Apps and widgets. Many apps even come with widget versions installed. There really is no comparison on the iPhone, and I was pleasantly surprised to find widgets on my Android. The pre-installed Google widget with voice input on the home screen is very cool.

4. Hardware keys prove as more consistent UI and save screen space. On the LG Optimus Bright the "hardware keys" are below the screen and are really not keys you press at all. They seem to be capacitive touch elements, like the screen, but are in fixed positions and don't take up screen space. What I really like about them is in addition to a home button (which the iPhone also has) the key on the left works like a context-sensitive menu for settings and other features inside all apps; there is a separate key that you can always use to "go back" or cancel the current dialog; and a 4th key for search. In addition to saving screen space (e.g. you don't need the bottom row of UI icons in the mobile browser like in Safari Mobile) it makes the user experience consistent across all apps, which makes things easier overall, and is something iPhone supposedly aims for.

5. Replaceable battery. This is obvious and not really anything more needs to be said about that.

I'm sure there are lots of things in iOS 5 which are better than Android OS 2.3.3 (for example, on my iPhone I can take a screenshot, but there doesn't seem to be a way of doing that on my Android - at least not a pre-installed way).

My aim is not to cut one device down in favor of the other. But I just wanted to say I'm pretty impressed with Android too. The Optimus is also lighter and thinner than my iPhone 4 and has a larger screen (though lower resolution).

Anyway, just thought I'd make these few observations from a mainly iPhone and Mac user who really is also pleased with Android.

doug

10. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Yes both platforms will have winning points. Your comparison is slightly unfair though but in a good way.

iOS 5, latest version of the Iphone OS vs Android 2.3.3, which has been replaced by better versions 8 times now :)

The current latest version of Android is 4.0.3 (2.3 went upto 2.3.7 and we skip 3.x as that is tablets only).

11. douglerner

douglerner Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    Tokyo
    I knew there were later versions of Android OS, but I understand it's not necessarily possible to upgrade all devices.

I don't know if I can upgrade mine or not past the v2.3.3 it came with new just last week. Here in Japan, it seems most new Android devices are running on v2.3.x.

I will have to check and see how to upgrade the device. Not sure how to do that yet. :)

Thanks,

doug

12. cmybliss

cmybliss Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 20, 2010
    The Abarat
    Very interesting read, thanks for posting it. Made me smile today.

13. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
    Trying not to get caught up in the the whole Android vs iphone. I believed ios has made some adjustment from that list.

14. Lateck

Lateck Android Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Arizona, U.S.A.
    Those are some of the reasons I am going down the Android road....

Lateck,

15. TJGoSurf

TJGoSurf Android Expert
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    Male
    Oil Engineer stuff
    CO
    11) Way better mascot

SB13X and 2k2cse like this.
  16. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Probably, its 2 years old.

novox77 likes this.
  17. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2010
    Verizon Wireless Sales, Traveling Musician
    Yea I was gonna say that article was written in 2009, iPhone has a couple of those features now

18. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    Different styles of phones. My friend's Evo looks nothing like my Samsung. Iphones look alike except for color. With Android, I can get a screen size that suits me, processor that I want, etc.

19. Loey Lee

Loey Lee Member
    None

Jan 11, 2012
    Some very interesting points made here, but as of now, I only have experience with generic android tablets.