• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

10gb Cap on 3G Services!

I got to thinking, given a 3G download rate of around 2mbps, how long would it take to use up 10GB?

Do I stink at converting units, or is this correct?

1 Gigabyte (GB) = 8,000 Megabits (mb)

10 Gigabytes (GB) = 80,000 Megabits (mb)

80,000mb / 2mbps = 40,000 Seconds = 666min = ~11 Hours.

Is that right? You get 11 Hours of Internet use per month (~22min per day) with a 10GB cap?

Is a 2 mbps download speed a resonable value for a G1 on a 3G network?

That's assuming that you are constantly downloading at the Maximum speed of the network. If you did 11 hours of torrenting that maxed the connection out, you would reach 10GB. Loading webpages (which are quite small), that you read before you load another one, or even youtube videos, would make it very hard to hit a 10G cap.

I know someone in NZ who has a 10GB/mo cap for his home connection at a broadband speed, and he manages to stay under it, even with multiple people in the household.

Upvote 0
I got to thinking, given a 3G download rate of around 2mbps, how long would it take to use up 10GB?

Do I stink at converting units, or is this correct?

1 Gigabyte (GB) = 8,000 Megabits (mb)

10 Gigabytes (GB) = 80,000 Megabits (mb)

80,000mb / 2mbps = 40,000 Seconds = 666min = ~11 Hours.

Is that right? You get 11 Hours of Internet use per month (~22min per day) with a 10GB cap?

Is a 2 mbps download speed a resonable value for a G1 on a 3G network?

your conversion is right... sorta. but your logic is wrong.

everytime you use the internet, you dont constantly stream 2mbps every second you read a website. every page you load is probably only a few hundred kb (and thats with pretty image heavy pages) then it stops. it doesn't need to constantly update itself every other second sending data back and forth. Can you imagine if the web was designed this way? web servers would eat up so much bandwidth.. they would all need supercomputers just to host a website.

Upvote 0
what on earth are you doing with your phones to think you will ever get near a 10gb limit??
are you that guy from the movie 'the terminal' and you actually live in the airport? i know planes are delayed now and again but i just cant see you being there long enough. :eek:

i just got back from the US (Dallas and Phoenix, road trip) and almost every night, i was in a different hotel/motel, and every time they had wi-fi freely available (i wont stay at a hotel that charges extra for data). almost every bar/restaurant had free wi-fi as well.

if my phone data plan was my only access to the internet then i would go above 10gb a month.
i do obtain large files from the web (my net usage was about 80GB when i last checked in the summer), but why would anyone choose to spend 6 hours downloading something via their phone, when it would take less than 1 at home, at work, in a hotel or in a bar?

now i will get back to watching the 3 NFL games i am currently streaming :D

Upvote 0
Cable companies are also capping, so, there is really no more such thing as unlimited.

There's still fiber and DSL based ISPs.

And, whether they all jump off the same cliff like lemmings or not, caps are stupid. That was shown to be a faulty model in the mid 90's, and it will continue to be a faulty model.

The model that works is speed limiting. Sell customers the speed you can afford to provide them, at a price that is sustainable. The fact that the HSPA protocol might be capable of 7.2MBps is irrelevant if you don't have the backbone to maintain it for all customers, and aren't charging the rate that makes it profitable.

The intelligent thing to do is sell speeds tiers (instead of protocol tiers, like "web only" vs "total internet"), charge the fair rate for those tiers, and then limit people to the speeds you're selling them. Something like:

$5/mo for 256KBps/128KBps (download/upload)
$10/mo for 512KBps/256KBps
$15/mo for 1MBps/256KBps
$20/mo for 1.5MBps/256KBps
$25/mo for 2MBps/256KBps

With language like: those are maximum rates, in congested areas, remote areas, or depending upon distance from your cell tower, you might get lower throughput.

Those seem to me like reasonable plans. Not "$25/mo where YOU have to manage your bandwidth use ... or we'll cut you off and maybe terminate your contract if you use too much". Nor "$6/mo, but only for some internet access".

For one, managing bandwidth use is the ISPs burden, not mine. If I go over the instantaneously sustainable rate for the ISP, then that's the ISPs fault, not mine. If I use more bandwidth than the ISP can sustain, that's also the ISPs fault, not mine. These are solved problems, and maintaining everything on the ISP's side of the connection is the ISPs burden, not mine.

If comcast wants people to not use more than 800KBps (what their cap works out to), then that's what they should do: set a rate limit of 800KBps. Not threaten their customers with termination if they exceed some gross monthly limit. Same for cell carriers: set a per second rate limit, and quit your whining, ill-founded accusations, and straw-man arguments (about how "you can't possibly use that much doing legal/resonable things in 1 month!" ... BS).

Upvote 0
what on earth are you doing with your phones to think you will ever get near a 10gb limit??
are you that guy from the movie 'the terminal' and you actually live in the airport? i know planes are delayed now and again but i just cant see you being there long enough. :eek:

i just got back from the US (Dallas and Phoenix, road trip) and almost every night, i was in a different hotel/motel, and every time they had wi-fi freely available (i wont stay at a hotel that charges extra for data). almost every bar/restaurant had free wi-fi as well.

if my phone data plan was my only access to the internet then i would go above 10gb a month.
i do obtain large files from the web (my net usage was about 80GB when i last checked in the summer), but why would anyone choose to spend 6 hours downloading something via their phone, when it would take less than 1 at home, at work, in a hotel or in a bar?

now i will get back to watching the 3 NFL games i am currently streaming :D

you took the blue pill didn't you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluepill

Upvote 0
I don't know who measured 2mb/s for their 3g but I have been in congested(Los Angeles downtown), non congested (the subburbs...San Gabriel Valley), rural(Bishop, Visalia, Mammoth Lakes, Salinas), Non Rural(Monterey,Ventura, San Diego) ... I have been all over this state in the last month and have NEVER seen over .4MB/s using both the dloaded apps from the market and some test sites on the net.
I am actually happy with the speed as all I do is email, occasional Imeem music, and web browsing, but this is not even close to what they claim.
Ohh, and yes, I have 3g enabled and it does switch between 3g and edge.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones