• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 15 Desire X's Started Intermittently Rebooting

scott_w

Lurker
Oct 26, 2014
Hello,

In the company I work for we have 172 HTC Desire X phones still being used by staff. Over the past 2 weeks 15 of these devices (that we know of) have just started randomly rebooting.

Nothing has been changed on the devices during this time, no apps have been installed and no updates have been installed over this period. The phones are using the Stock HTC experience apart from the email app which we swapped for the stock email app months ago due to sync issues with our exchange.

Device Info:
- Android 4.1.1
- HTC Sense version 4+
- Software Number: 2.20.401.5 and 2.20.401.6
- Kernel Version: 3.4.0-g2b619a5
- Baseband Version: 10.22.40.06U_1.15.40.04
- Build Number: 2.20.401.6 CL162361
- Network: Vodafone
- Mobile Network Type: HSDPA
- Network Mode: GSM/WCDMA Auto

Fixes tried so far:
- Installed different launcher.
- Stopped HTC Sense and Cleared data.
- Factory reset multiple times.
- Tried benchmarking/stress testing devices for over 30 minutes without any reboot so don't think its overheating/over usage.

None of the fixes tried so far have worked - I know they are simple but can't think of any other options apart from installing a different ROM which we don't really want to do as a company due to the own set of issues custom ROM's bring.

We have found that the rebooting seems to occur most often after being on a call for a few minutes. I've got copies of various logs that I managed to capture at the time of the reboot by using adb. I've saved the logs from /dev/logs/ (main, events, system, radio) and also saved the logcat output. I'll post them below because the forum wont let me link due to first post.

I've read all over (including this forum and others) about the hardware issues with HTC Desire X's back from 2011/12/13 but it just seems strange that all of these devices have suddenly developed the hardware fault at the same time.

Does anyone have any ideas about possible things to test? Or possible causes for the intermittent rebooting? Or possible fixes?

Thanks in advance for any help. If you need anymore info please let me know.

Scott.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones