1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

160 Character Limit Help?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by juchito, May 17, 2011.

1. juchito

juchito Newbie

I had a phone that cost me $45 and everytime i was over the 160 Character Limit automatically split it into two or three msg. Now i got this optimus M which cost around $200 and when i go over the 160 character limit it keep saying that it fail to send the msg. i install handcent first then chompsms to try but same thing happen, i keep getting that error msg. Help Please?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. blaxican25

blaxican25 Android Expert

after you click the message icon push far left button then go to settings then to text message limit and choose your limit also you can use sms split to split messages over 160 characters.

COUGAROID and juchito like this.
  3. juchito

juchito Newbie

blaxican, i am still confuse. if i go to setting/text msg limit it set to 200 already, what should i put there? also, i dont see any option to sms split?

4. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Android Expert

blaxican has confused the meaning of that setting, lol. That 200 is how many actual SMS messages are allowed in a conversation thread. Similarly, the 20 messages beneath it is the max number of MMS messages are allowed in a conversation.

The Optimus M automatically attempts to convert a long SMS into MMS with the stock messaging app. If your plan doesn't support MMS, that might be your problem. If your plan does have MMS, try sending a test one to a friend. If it rejects that as well, go to your local store and see if they can help. It may be the phone or it may be the network in your area.

juchito likes this.
  5. blaxican25

6. juchito

juchito Newbie

The only option under SMS settings in my Optimus M is Delivery Reports. It do not show SMS split option.

7. blaxican25

im running the cm7 beta rom so it has more options guess i should of asked if you where rooted and if you are what rom you running.

juchito likes this.
  8. Insanecrane

Insanecrane Android Enthusiast

I've never used the stock app from day one. I downloaded Handcent and never looked back. Handcent (and I assume Go SMS) has a setting to split 160 character messages.

My suggestion would be to browse the market for a better messaging app. Try a few and stick with the one you like. The stock app is just bad imo, but that's personal preference.

juchito likes this.
  9. shigglyboo

shigglyboo Well-Known Member

I'm using Handcent as well. I can confirm there seems to be an issue with sending long messages. If you poke around in the setting menu you should find the split long messages option, however, I have that option on and it doesn't work.

I tried to send a message last night and it was under 160 characters, although it was several sentences. It just kept failing to send, I tried it about 30 times, then I cut and pasted the text into 3 separate messages and it worked (reverse order and confused the hell out of my friend).

I've emailed Handcent about this. Their app is much better than the stock app. I've poked around a bit but they seem to have the best SMS app out there for Android, you just have to keep your messages short. Hopefully it's a bug and they'll fix it. If you go to their site you can email a bug/support message to them.

juchito likes this.
  10. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

If you have long messages in Handcent giving you trouble, you can choose to add a subject - that will convert it to an MMS - useful if your plan supports it.

Lane, juchito and shigglyboo like this.
  11. shigglyboo

shigglyboo Well-Known Member

How does one go about adding a subject? MMS is multi-media right? That may be a fix, but I think a lot of people can't receive MMS messages.

juchito likes this.
  12. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

When on screen with text-entry box in Handcent, menu->add subject.

I agree, MMS is not the ideal solution.

juchito likes this.
  13. juchito

juchito Newbie

GOT IT FIX, easy for some of you but when u a nob like me everything is hard to figure out. just install Go sms, check mark on Split sms and thats it. Thanks to all for all reply

shigglyboo and EarlyMon like this.
  14. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Congrats on the fix! :)

15. Lane

Lane Member

GREAT IDEA!!!! :) Thanks :D