1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

16Gb Class 6 MicroSD Baragain!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by adrayton, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

1. beyond

beyond Guest

^ i got that card. the packaging is nice and the card itself feels very solid. works pretty good so far on my phone.

the read speeds are very decent and are about 10 m/bs plus but the write speeds so far has been underwhelming for me tbh. i didn't use any software so i was doing rough 'tests' and was able to deduct i was getting just about 6 m/bs i.e sometimes lower, sometimes higher, not very consistent.

make sure you format it properly on your computer first tho.

2. loveandroid

loveandroid Well-Known Member

How do you know what class it is? ( If they dont say it....)

3. robo555

robo555 Newbie

If they specify the manufacturer's product code, then you can look it up on the manufacturer's website.

If the manufacturer's website doesn't specify it, then I guess that's a bit irresponsible.

4. slippyr4

slippyr4 Newbie

My ebuyer / lexar card arrived this morning.

I can confirm it definitely is class 6 labelled.

I've run h2testw on it and it has sustained 9.12 Mbyte/s across the whole capacity with no errors, so seems to exceed the spec of class 6.

Card comes with some crapware on it from lexar, so it needs formatting before you put it in your phone.

Will try 720p on it shortly and post back.

5. beyond

beyond Guest

so how is it working once the card is full with files and stuff?

camera? the sd card app test?

6. slippyr4

slippyr4 Newbie

sorry, i had replied to this but i've no idea what happened to the post!

general use the card seems fine. 720p video is still capped at 19.6fps - i think this is by design and not a limit of the card. there are no picture breakups or anything when watching 720p video.

I don't really trust the sd card speed app - it says that it's a "ClassUnknown" and write speed is 9 MB/s but read speed is only 5 MB/s - which is blatantly rubbish - it's unheard of for read speed to be slower than write. h2testw on windows found the read speed to be 15MB/s and the write speed to be 9 MB/s - those are believable numbers.

7. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Android Enthusiast

The video shouldn't be capped at 19.6fps afaik.At least for me,Windows 7 says most of mine are 22 fps.

8. marsey99

marsey99 Lurker

class is the wright speed, they will all read as fast as the adapter allows ;)

9. aardys

aardys Well-Known Member

10. slippyr4

slippyr4 Newbie

the video *shouldn't * be capped at 19.6 fps, but that's what ffmpeg says (which I trust more that windows media player).

I also know that the class is based on the minimum write speed; however, it just does not make sense that read is slower than write. That's not how flash memory works. It does not make sense. Read speed is always higher than write.

11. Casual Pete

I don't use Windows Media Player.It was from within Windows that it states 22fps.

12. slippyr4

slippyr4 Newbie

it's all the same code.

13. Rifat

Rifat Lurker

14. Casual Pete

2 different people with 2 different memory cards are always gunna get different results anyway so it's all subjective.;)

15. simonpa

simonpa Lurker

As mentioned in a previous post, I have the same card as you and get exactly the same write speed.

Using the SD Speed Test on my Desire the app reports that the Write Speed is 9.0MB/s and Read Speed is 13.0MB/s, but also is an unknown class.
    Testing using Windows had exactly the same write speed as well, so seems fairly consistent and reliable.

As also mentioned, my 8Gb SanDisk Class 4 card was achieving write speeds of 12MB/s but I have had absolutely no problem with the new Lexar 16Gb SD card and am perfectly happy with it.

16. slippyr4

slippyr4 Newbie

Not really; because my point was that I suspect that the desire itself is the limit of frame rate, not the storage media. At the end of the day, the SD card knows not nor cares what the framerate is, only the actual bit rate.

modern video codes are quite capable of adaptively changed compression "quality" to adhere to a bit rate requirement - but not changing framerate (most codecs don't support a variable frame rate anyway).

Hence, my suspicion is that the desire itself is limiting the frame rate to around 20fps - due to an internal limit (perhaps to do with the camera itself).

17. beyond

beyond Guest

i so regret not taking the chance on this now ffs!!!1

and yeah whilst camera quality is pretty good, why is the frame and file compression rate so poor?

18. SB13X

SB13X Android Expert

Just to let folks know that these are back in stock: 23 remaining.

19. UKseagull

UKseagull Android Enthusiast

Do you find the HD video playback choppy?

20. SB13X

SB13X Android Expert

Hmm after reading what he said I guess not but the reason there are 23 left is because I just bought one from the 24 they had :D Coming tomorrow :cool:

21. HTCandroid

HTCandroid Well-Known Member

just ordered, thanks :)

22. OFI

OFI Android Enthusiast

Gah, bit more than I wanted to pay having seen the cheap Class 2s but sod it, ordered :p

Not used to paying for delivery these days though...

23. UKseagull

UKseagull Android Enthusiast

Can anyone using one of these class 6 cards post an example HD video?

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews