• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories 16gb class 6 or 32gb class 2

tlxxxsracer

Jul 16, 2010
Im debating whether to get a Transcend 16gb class 6, A-DATA 16gb class 6 micro sdhc or should I get the 32gb class 2 card from verizons site?
the 16gb's are about 65$ and the 32gb 110$. Im just worried the class 2 wont be fast enough- especially if im going to install apps, music, movies and OS (is that possible?) on the card. But then again I want to make sure I have enough space.
I have 10gbs worth of music, so I want my evo to be an all in one media device and phone. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&archetypeId=12214&page=1&cm_ven=Performics&cm_cat=Affiliate&cm_pla=The%20HP%20Mini%20with%20Mobile%20Broadband%20Built-In&cm_ite=**Slick%20Deals**&cm_ite=**Slick%20Deals**
Would it be fast enough? I know the class 6 would be
And I apologize if this is another repeated thread
Please help so I can decide :)

thanks alot:D

Im debating whether to get a Transcend 16gb class 6, A-DATA 16gb class 6 micro sdhc or should I get the 32gb class 2 card from verizons site?
the 16gb's are about 65$ and the 32gb 110$. Im just worried the class 2 wont be fast enough- especially if im going to install apps, music, movies and OS (is that possible?) on the card. But then again I want to make sure I have enough space.
And I apologize if this is another repeated thread
Please help so I can decide :)

thanks alot:D

A lot of answers previously on other threads. I don't think you'll see much of a difference in how the phone accesses and uses the data. Class speed's more important for how long it takes to put data onto the card. Since the phone itself does not have video capture and other multimedia features that require high-speed data transfer, I'd only consider the larger card.

Getting a card that writes significantly faster than the phone can operate would be like putting an Indy-car engine in a Toyota Prius. Could it work and would it run, sure. But why - the car itself isn't right for the Indy oval.

Upvote 0
Hmm.. thanks for the response. I see what youre saying. I wouldnt entirely mind the extra minute or two of write time to the card- as long as movies can be watched without stuttering, and apps load/run smoother/quicker.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would this be the same situation as computer RAM as far as 1066 vs. 1333 or 1600 mhz RAM speeds?

Upvote 0
If you watch a lot of videos or move a lot of gigs of info daily, then get the faster card. If you just plan to transfer the data over and be done with it get the larger card. I move 2 to over 10 gigs of data pretty much daily so the faster speed would help me greatly.

Example, 10 gigs of data transfer time on my A-data class 6 is around 12 minutes. 10 gigs of data on my 32 gig class 2 (from Verizon) is around 32 minutes.
I record live sports on my Archos media player and transfer it over to the EVO. That's why those files are so big.

Upvote 0
Hmm.. thanks for the response. I see what youre saying. I wouldnt entirely mind the extra minute or two of write time to the card- as long as movies can be watched without stuttering, and apps load/run smoother/quicker.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would this be the same situation as computer RAM as far as 1066 vs. 1333 or 1600 mhz RAM speeds?

Not quite the same. Try this - PCs used to tout the processor speed as a major sell point. Problem is the processor moves faster than the other parts of the PC and was never the bottleneck. In the phone, the data just isn't likely to ever need to be moved at high speed. Consider these writing speeds:

Class 2 : H.264 video recording, MPEG-4, MPEG-2 video recording
Class 4: MEPG-2 (HDTV) video recording, DSC consecutive shooting
Class 6: Mega-pixel DSC consecutive shooting, professional video camera
Class 10: Full HD video recording, HD still consecutive shooting

Clearly the Evo probably would never need Class 10 and very likely not class 6. They are really for professional video recording - that's not something the Evo is best suited for. As to Cl4, well there's just not enough material or demand requiring "middle" speed - ok for viewing, but why record here when it offers little extra value? Cl2 then, is where the Evo material will make most sense as you're going to get the most consistent results recording and viewing.

Speed will be much more of a factor with the next generation of SD cards (called SDXC), but they're still under development. SDXC will start at 32G and go up to 2TB. I'd say the amount of data needed to be accessed at 64GB and up will require more than current Cl2 reading speed, but the standard for classes may also change for SDXC and Cl2 may ultimately again be ok. I hope they reduce the number of classes for SDXC as it really needs to be high-end/super-fast from the beginning.

Reactions: Complex757
Upvote 0
At what speed does the EVO write and where do you find the specs?

Might have to contact HTC and get a tech rep to give you exact info.

The online user manual by HTC says vid recording is at 6Mbps, which is well under the 16Mbps max of lowly class 2. Remember, max write speed of class 2 is 2MBps which is equivalent to 16Mbps. The b vs B makes all the difference in the world. It's also why the Evo's recording, though minimally approaching hi-def at 720p is not hi-def by any means. It's better to call it better than standard def.

And that's just the write speed. I can't find the exact read speed of class 2, but I've seen that it ranges several times faster than the write speed and really isn't ever a limiting factor.

My guess would be that 6Mbps is the same max write speed for the entire phone. I don't think 32GB cards hold quite enough data for it to be a problem.

Upvote 0
Wow thanks for all the responses! My next question is, could I get 2 16gb and have one card with all my music/movies and the other card with apps? but then I began to think it wouldnt work cause apps wouldnt work or what not cause that card isnt in.

I just bit the bullet and decided to order the 32gb. I figured Ill have plenty of space to store what I need on it and extra space for the future. :)
(I could always return the card to a verizon store couldnt i? XD )

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones