• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories 16gb Class 6 vs 8gb Class 6 = $45

What are we discussing??

I know it's crazy that it's 3x times theprice for just 2x the storage but it's just the way it is. If you need more then 16gigs of total storage get the 16gig and have 24gigs total storage

I personally am holding off till the 32gig cards can be had for under $100 I have a 8gig card plus the 8 on board and I'm good for now.

I saw something awhile back that 128gig will be coming out next year , it's crazy to think that my first computer had a 20meg hard drive lol

Upvote 0
Does the speed (2 vs 6) only matter if you are transferring data to and from your computer?

It might be slightly faster when viewing 100's of thumbnails of photos.

But it depends if the incredible hardware is the bottle neck or the sdcard.

The first time you transfer 16gb worth of data to your class2 card connected to your computer, you will be wondering why you did not just spend the extra moolah.

Upvote 0
What are we discussing??

I know it's crazy that it's 3x times theprice for just 2x the storage but it's just the way it is. If you need more then 16gigs of total storage get the 16gig and have 24gigs total storage

I personally am holding off till the 32gig cards can be had for under $100 I have a 8gig card plus the 8 on board and I'm good for now.

I saw something awhile back that 128gig will be coming out next year , it's crazy to think that my first computer had a 20meg hard drive lol

And that it cost $500 and gawd, don't bump it.

Upvote 0
It might be slightly faster when viewing 100's of thumbnails of photos.

But it depends if the incredible hardware is the bottle neck or the sdcard.

The first time you transfer 16gb worth of data to your class2 card connected to your computer, you will be wondering why you did not just spend the extra moolah.

Thanks Ill take that into consideration - I'm not exactly the most patient person.

Upvote 0
Never having a smartphone in my life, about how much memory do you guys typically use? I assume it depends on which (and how many) apps you have installed? What is the size range of apps? And is it easy to fill up an 8gb? I dunno which I should spring for.

I just looked at the memory on my LG Voyager and it says I've used 140.7mb and have 43.3mb free, after 2.5 years of use. Obviously no apps or games, but just to get an idea. Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Never having a smartphone in my life, about how much memory do you guys typically use? I assume it depends on which (and how many) apps you have installed? What is the size range of apps? And is it easy to fill up an 8gb? I dunno which I should spring for.

I just looked at the memory on my LG Voyager and it says I've used 140.7mb and have 43.3mb free, after 2.5 years of use. Obviously no apps or games, but just to get an idea. Thoughts?

it depends almost completely on how much media you keep on there. ie, music, movies, and photos. in general apps wont take up a lot of room, for just apps I'm sure you dont need an SD card at all, the internal 8gb will do. I'm not sure what memory you are using on your Voyager - is it MP3's on an SD card?

Reactions: alison03
Upvote 0

The reason I want one is A - some apps require an SD card.

(I got a free invisishield + installation instead of the 2gb)

Second is, can someone calculate how many minutes of video it takes to fill up 1 gb on INCREDIBLE resolution??

Or how much memory is a picture. I guess thats the question.

Upvote 0
it depends almost completely on how much media you keep on there. ie, music, movies, and photos. in general apps wont take up a lot of room, for just apps I'm sure you dont need an SD card at all, the internal 8gb will do. I'm not sure what memory you are using on your Voyager - is it MP3's on an SD card?

Thank you! I didn't even think about that aspect of it. I have no music - a few videos I've taken and maybe 150 pictures with my 2 mp camera. All on internal memory...I don't have any cards. I do want to have music on the Incredible though.

Upvote 0

I had the Droid Eris with an 8gb card had a couple hundred pictures, 2 movies, 30 or so camera videos, about 800-1000 MP3s and about 20-30apps and still had 40mb free on the phone and almost 2gb free on the SD card. I think since the Incredible has the 8gb on board (6.6gb available) a 8gb card is perfect for the average user to never have to worry about space and make your it unnecessary to carry your Ipod or MP3 player

Reactions: alison03
Upvote 0
The reason I want one is A - some apps require an SD card.

(I got a free invisishield + installation instead of the 2gb)

Second is, can someone calculate how many minutes of video it takes to fill up 1 gb on INCREDIBLE resolution??

Or how much memory is a picture. I guess thats the question.

I don't know about the video but the pictures are upwards of 2mb on the highest resolution

Upvote 0
I had the Droid Eris with an 8gb card had a couple hundred pictures, 2 movies, 30 or so camera videos, about 800-1000 MP3s and about 20-30apps and still had 40mb free on the phone and almost 2gb free on the SD card. I think since the Incredible has the 8gb on board (6.6gb available) a 8gb card is perfect for the average user to never have to worry about space and make your it unnecessary to carry your Ipod or MP3 player

That sounds perfect. I doubt I'd fill much more than that. Thanks so much!!!

Upvote 0
haha really $500 , god damn

The $199 for the 32gig is still ridiculious. They need to start coming down soon.

I mean honestly how much more does it cost them to manufactuer a 32gig compared to a 8gig, it's gotta be pennies

I understand there's four layers of memory tied together...and that 32gb will probably be as big as micro SDs will be.

Yeah, right...I remember the 20mb hard drive days. People wondered how they'd ever fill up all of that space. :p

Upvote 0
That's a great deal, I'm sticking to my 8gb class 2 that came with my Eris . Really want a class6 16gig or 32gig but they are both to expensive to justify considering I still have a ton of space left

Yea I just placed the order - 8gb class 6- $20.77, 2 day shipping, no tax.. right now 8gb is fine for me since I have a Zune HD for music and video.

But I'd still like extra memory for video recordings and taking pictures, apps, wallpapers, etc..

Like you, Ill get 32 gb when it comes way down in price.. They are stickin it to us and we all know it costs like 5 dollars to make..

Guess how much Best Buy pays for their $20 invisishields?? 5 bucks.. Mobile Manager straight up told me.

Upvote 0
I understand there's four layers of memory tied together...and that 32gb will probably be as big as micro SDs will be.

Yeah, right...I remember the 20mb hard drive days. People wondered how they'd ever fill up all of that space. :p
A 32 gb micro SD is actually 8 layers. They are 32nm X3 chips. Can you imagine 8 layer dies in that tiny memory card. Crazy! This is an electron microscope picture of dies:
32nm_x3.jpg

Reactions: dantheman7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones