1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

16gb or 32gb?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RickyDavis1051, Aug 12, 2012.

1. RickyDavis1051

RickyDavis1051 Well-Known Member

Which ones did you guys get?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. treb1797

treb1797 Extreme Android User

Blue 32 for me. Remember apps can't me moved to memory card.

3. ghost0211

ghost0211 Member

just ordered my sandisk 32 off amazon for $19

4. treb1797

OP...you were asking about the phone right ? Not memory card, correct ?

Android26 likes this.
  5. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 Member

16gb.. should be enough for apps since they can't be transferred to sd I'm reading. Then anything else you can add removable storage up to 64gb. Good enough for me!

6. Rolo42

Rolo42 Android Enthusiast

32gb. It's a two-year decision.

Negotiate the price of the 32gb model to the 16gb one and then its moot.

7. treb1797

Only $50 difference between the two so I figured what the hay...

8. RickyDavis1051

I just got out of AT&T because they were raping me with prices so I'm going on a family members plan with Verizon and only have to pay $65/month for unlimited talk, text, and 4gb of data :) so i thought i'd spend the extra cash on a white 32!

9. RickyDavis1051

and yes i'm talking about the actual device. I use A LOT of apps so the 32 it is while i also got a 32gb sd card!!!!

treb1797 likes this.
  10. floorguy

floorguy Well-Known Member

WTH.....

WHY NOT????

since when

11. laptopquestion

laptopquestion Android Enthusiast

Is it worth the aggravation?

How to Install Android Apps to the SD Card by Default & Move Almost Any App to the SD Card

Personally, I have better things to do with my life ;)

Also this little tidbit from here...

Anthony
    - July 28, 2012 - Samsung Galaxy S3 with version 2.55Galaxy s3

The app doesn't work for the s3 bc the s3 doesn't support installing apps on the sd card at all-which really sucks, but is not this apps fault.

Sam Lu replied on August 11, 2012
    Android only suppots 1st external storage for movinv app to SD. On Galaxy S3, the SD card is configured as a 2nd external storage. This is configured by Samsung. Nothing developers can do about this. Please contact Samsung for details.

12. zemerick

zemerick Android Enthusiast

It's a known issue, possibly to do with the internal memory actually being labeled as an SD Card. IE: The apps think they already are on the SD Card. ( Notice how you don't get the constant spam to move apps to the SD card? )

I don't believe Samsung has said anything about whether or not this can or will be fixed.:(

Anyways, I be pretty broke of late, so I stuck with 16GB. I know I can easily make do with that for 2+ years though. I'm pretty good about not letting junk pile up, and cleaning out the unnecessary trash.

13. Darkax

Darkax Member

16GB White. Apps cannot be moved to SD so I am going to use internal memory just for apps and external memory for everything else. I was planning to buy 33gb version but i bought my s3 on April and 32GB was not available back then, but I'm happy with 16GB since you can expand external memory unlike Iphone. I am going to use this phone for around 2 year and I think it will be enough.

14. Can only get 16GB on-board memory with AT&T in the U.S. Was initially a little concerned but am less so now. Ordered a 64GBM microSD off Amazon. Changed settings so media saved to SD card. Also, 2 days into having my S3, I've seen some apps that do permit installation to the SDcard. Based upon memory utilization the iPhone I'm escaping, 16GB for the OS and apps should be plenty for me with everything else having plenty of room on the 64GB SD card.

15. Rolo42

This one is one louder!

The case for 32gb: The Amazon free app of the day. ;)

16. floorguy

floorguy Well-Known Member

Great why does samsung always have to "tweak" something on their phones....

oh well like someone else said...apps on phone, everything else on the card....

and at least there is a removable card :D:D:D:D

17. Rolo42

Its immaterial. Moving apps to SD card was necessary when your 1 or 2gb of internal storage easily got full. Out of the box, we have ~26gb internal storage free. I don't know why you would want to move apps to a slower, prone-to-issues (some apps don't support it) external SD card.

Had you had a typical 1-2gb phone, you'd likely stick a 16 or 32gb sd card in it (64gb SDXC cards are likely not compatible), giving you less or slightly more storage than what the SIII already has internallly. With the SIII, we have that and can still expand storage with SDXC cards for data, which is all that would use that much storage, not apps.

I love not having to fiddle with it.

18. rapidsandroid

rapidsandroid Android Enthusiast

I bought the 16GB, but wish now I would have bought the 32GB. I didn't know that apps could not be moved to SD card.

19. RickyDavis1051

just got my 64gb card! woo!!!!!!

20. rapidsandroid

rapidsandroid Android Enthusiast

a large SD card only helps with music, photos, video. All the data apps produce is stored on the phone, not the SD card irregardless whether the app can write to SD or not. Go for the larger phone storage.

21. ac29593

ac29593 Well-Known Member

The Verizon reps told me that the 32 gb was actually? 16 internal and a 16 gb card. Not going to pay $50 for a $15 memory card I bought the 16 gb. Still would not have mattered to me anyway... 16 internal is plenty for me.

22. cmybliss

cmybliss Android Enthusiast

The Verizon rep was wrong. Verizon carries both the 16gig and 32gig versions. Sometimes I wonder how some of those people still have jobs. Not all, but some:rolleyes:

23. RickyDavis1051

That's exactly what they told me and I had to correct them!

24. colmmcgrath

colmmcgrath Well-Known Member

It depends upon the user requirements. For me im ok with the 16GB one

25. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member

I have the 32g (internal memory) from Verizon, with a 32g external sd as well.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews