• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories 1800 MAH replacment battery from obostore

I'll be honest and say I've been exceptionally sceptical about these supposed 1800mAh batteries and obostore since day 1.

I did a bit of digging over at xda and the guys there don't have particularly nice things to say about obostore or higher capacity batteries in general.

Andida 1800MhA Ace Battery - xda-developers

obostore.com - xda-developers

xda-developers - Search Results

There's also an interesting test from a guy called pittas from the first thread.

mailrooman states it was 75% when he initially stuck it in the phone. Lithium Ion batteries are supposed to be stored at around 40%. tl:dr version -

Equally stressful is leaving a battery in a hot car, especially if exposed to the sun. When not in use, store the battery in a cool place. For long-term storage, manufacturers recommend a 40 percent charge. This allows for some self-discharge while still retaining sufficient charge to keep the protection circuit active. Finding the ideal state-of-charge is not easy; this would require a discharge unit with an appropriate cut-off. Users should not worry too much about the state-of-charge; a cool and dry place is more important.

Who knows how long these batteries have been sitting on a shelf for? It also states a cool, dry environment is better, but I seriously doubt they've been stored correctly (although I have no basis on which to base this on other than my gut instinct).

They are also bigger than the stock battery apparently, I've already voiced my concerns about this.

I ordered on Tuesday night/Wednesday AM, and promptly received an email thanking me for my order and that payment was successful. I'd not received shipping confirmation by Sunday so I emailed asking if they could give me an estimate. I'm not interested in how long it takes to get here, I just wanted to know it was on its way. The automated response stated they would get back to me in 24 or 48 hours, they have 2 hours to meet this SLA at which point I'll email again, giving them 24 hours to respond or I'll ask for my money back.

It's only

Upvote 0
Mine just arrived. Although I can't see any size difference holding the two batteries together, it definitely sticks out a bit further than the stock one.

If you take your battery cover off, on the side with your serial number, you'll see the little indentation the cover latches into just above the void sticker. It sticks up a bit further there and takes a bit more pressure to push down.

We're only talking a millimetre or two, but still.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it's because the battery contacts on the stock battery are a bit more recessed inwards.

Does anybody else see that with theirs?

Upvote 0
May I suggest you take the time to do at least 7 cycle,s before slateing the battery.
Im more than happy with my battery and today I posted a note to say that I put the stock battery back in to see the difference and was a major difference .
Just give it a chance before writing it off .
And no I don't work for obostore as a it was asked not so long ago . Just to clear that up .

Upvote 0
And no I don't work for obostore as a it was asked not so long ago . Just to clear that up .

That was me and it was meant entirely in jest, please don't think I was being serious.

Mine arrived today and whilst not appearing to be bigger, it doesn't sit right in the handset. See below.

DSCN1471.jpg

Stock -

DSCN1472.jpg

Sorry for the crap pictures, but the combination of my camera skills & digital camera makes for really bad close up shots. Those were both taken with the phone on it's side and against a wall, supported on a flat surface so you can see it's at an angle. I can't actually get the battery cover on at the moment, but I'm sure it will go on eventually. It's a bit difficult to mess about with the phone when I have a little boy who thinks it's a toy and is trying to "help" put the battery in so I'll have a proper go when he goes to bed. The packaging is certainly more professional than some of the other batteries I've purchased on ebay/amazon.

mailroomman, please don't take my scepticism personally, I've bought 4-5 supposedly higher capacity batteries based on reviews/feedback and each time, I've returned to the stock battery. After time, the replacements just do not cut the mustard. I've friends with similar stories. Hence the reason I'm more than a little doubtful. ;)

I, and I'm sure others will echo my sentiments, am thankful for the suggestion/link, and will hold you in no way responsible if these turn out the same as all the others. All you've done is try to help.

Upvote 0
Hi el prez no problem

you just need to tease it in and the battery will sit in there and the copper contacts have a littel bit of natrual spring in them so dont worry to much.
Im the same i got 900mah batts from amazon with 1600mah covers on them and to be fair id like to stick the rotten sods who sell them knowing full well there are deseperate dhd users out there up against the wall and bleep bleep bleep.
It just makes me so angry that htc did not invest a bit more money in the battery technology like maybe speaking to mugen batterys who have a good track record using japanese cells im sure there could comevup with a wninner lol

Upvote 0
Wedged it in last night, it was a little tight, but after 5 or so minutes of a little gentle persuasion, I got my battery cover back on.

Performance wise, it's done alright, fully charged for 6 hours yesterday evening. Took it off charge when we went to bed and there was a 4% loss between 12:45 and 7:50ish. I've watched a few youtube vids, updated looked at facebook and taken a vid/some pics of my wee boy and it's currently sitting at 89% which is roughly what I'd be getting out of the stock battery. It's worth noting I've not had Wifi/3G on unless I've been on Facebook or youtube.

If it performs like this unconditioned, I'll be interesting to see what happens when it's fully conditioned. I've been impressed by alternative batteries in the past, only to see performance drop drastically after a month or so of usage.

The fact it doesn't really sit properly concerns me, but that could be unfounded. I am willing to give it a fair crack of the whip as it appears to have done ok so far.

Edit - 88% charged when first stuck in the phone.

Reactions: mailroomman
Upvote 0
Well, after reading the threads here, I thought it was worth investing the six quid in one. Looking forward to receiving it. Like you lot, I just wish HTC had put a sensible battery in there in the first place. Still, stock batteries do at least charge quickly. But my old Blackberry used to charge fast, and then last three days with a lot of email, internet and twitter. Hoping that the new battery may increase my use of the phone to more than twelve hours only! Trouble is, as we all know, the phone itself is lovely.

Upvote 0
The battery arrived this morning. I took out the old one and inserted the new - and it fitted perfectly. Easily slides in and out like the stock battery. It had 66% charge, according to the battery monitor, so I have it resting beside me with the charger in it. I'll charge to full and run down to empty three or four times, and then start to see how good it is.

Let's hope it works.

Upvote 0
and how you guys who already have one getting on with it.
now you have done a fair few cycles on it .

I've given at least 5 full charge/discharge cycles and I can only say it's not really any better or worse than stock. I did hammer during those cycles, but even when calibrated, it only performed very slightly better than HTCs battery.

It gave some strange results when charging. It would be just fully charged, yet the battery app would say it had been charged for an hour or so. Like wise, when I took it off charge, my battery app would tell me it had been off charge for half an hour ish. Stock battery gave accurate results though.

The size thing also really got me.

I did try and I did want this battery to work, but for all the reasons above, I've reverted back to the official one. As I've mentioned before, I've no real issue with battery life anyway and hopefully Gingerbread will help get a little more juice out of it (it certainly seems that way so far anyway).

If others are experiencing decent results, maybe mine is faulty? For

Upvote 0
I would also say that I'm not seeing the almost 50% increase 1800mAh would offer. I calibrated mine straight away since I'm rooted, but I've gone through a fair number of charges since then and I'm still not seeing it.

It does seem like it might be a little better, but that's purely based on anecdotal evidence rather than any proper measurements.

Oh and mine also confuses my battery apps sometimes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones