1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

19 firefighters killed

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by zuben el genub, Jul 1, 2013.

1. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. LilBit

LilBit Extreme Android User

How terrible:bawling:
    A candle for each of them.

[​IMG]

3. saptech

saptech Android Expert

Sorry to hear it. I salute these brave souls.

4. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User

Heard about this on CNN earlier. Just terrible. 19 brave souls. Hard to comprehend losing that many at once. Thoughts go out to their loved ones.

5. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love

There is a televised memorial on tv right now in AZ.
    This is such a tragedy, and my heart goes out to all of their families.
    They were profiling one of them (that lives in a suburb of Tucson) on the news earlier.
    He was only 25 years old with a baby on the way.
    I am so sorry for all of these brave souls.:(

6. Ricky Babalu

Ricky Babalu Well-Known Member

Just heard about this on the news, Damn shame!

7. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Extreme Android User

Heard about this on twitter by McDonalds.

8. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

True American heroes that died on the line of duty. My condolences to all that are involved.

9. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Extreme Android User

Yarnell is about fifty twisty miles from where I live in Prescott. Prescott also happens to be the home of all nineteen heroic firefighters. In addition to being all of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, hired nationwide to quell wildfires, they comprised twenty percent of the Prescott Fire Department.

I didn’t know any of them, but it was as shocking a bulletin as I can remember. And since the fire season is just getting started, we are forced to rely on Mother Nature to help us though it.

Unaware of this thread, I was also telling my views at What's the weather like where you are?

10. zuben el genub

It is shocking. It happened here:
    Inferno > English > Historical Fires > Storm King Fire

So far, here - private people only - although one fire spotter working an active blaze not in the mountains died when his plane crashed. That was also a bummer when some air tankers crashed.

11. LilacBleeds

LilacBleeds Android Enthusiast

this is really bad - thinking of them

12. jefboyardee

They worked in hellish conditions, even on their best days. And thinking about the conditions that day will make it difficult to find replacements. It takes truly special and extremely strong individuals to be able to do that job, let alone see the value in it.

13. jefboyardee

Now it’s time for the blame game...

Team to examine site where firefighters died

Sunday's tragedy raised questions of whether the Hotshot crew should have been pulled out much earlier and whether all the usual precautions would have made any difference in the face of triple-digit temperatures, erratic winds and tinderbox conditions that caused the fire to explode.

14. zuben el genub

If sudden wind shear can derail an airplane - how can you prepare for a sudden vortex, wind gust, etc, when radar can't surely predict it yet? Forecasters can say that shear is possible in the area, but that's all.

We get a forecast for gusty winds. Sometimes it's more of a stiff breeze than a gust.

The hook in a Tstorm on radar shows a possible tornado.
    1. Clouds are rotating
    2. Tornado never touches down
    3. Tornado touches down, but is F1 and short lived.
    4. Tornado is F4 or F5.

Still need confirmation from ground crews for actual tornado.

Why can't they fly drones over these fires? Good way to monitor conditions and if a drone is lost, it isn't a human.

15. jefboyardee

I think you answered your question before you asked it.

Another thing we get down here, which would definitely worsen conditions, is the occasional Microburst:

A microburst is a very localized column of sinking air, producing damaging divergent and straight-line winds at the surface that are similar to, but distinguishable from, tornadoes, which generally have convergent damage.