1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Accessories 1A car charger can't keep up with draw?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ninjakyle, Jun 12, 2010.

1. ninjakyle

ninjakyle Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    musician, speaker
    Indiana
    So, first long road trip on the DI. Bought a nice 5V 1A car charger and kept it plugged in using GPS and Pandora. Battery depleted as I drove.

Is that normal?

Advertisement

2. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Ohio
    are you sure your cig lighter was working?

3. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010

Which one did you get? I bought a cheapo off amazon (rated 1A too), it didnt draw enough power for me to stream online music.
    I returned that cheapo and got a more exp one, a better brand, it works very well now.

4. Gearyt

Gearyt New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Last week for four days I was using an inverter with the oem wall charger. Using either iheartradio or Pandora along with My Tracks the battery would drop to 10% over about 8 hours. Thought it was just me.

5. upther

upther Well-Known Member

May 7, 2010
    Micco, FL
    I've got a Lenmar that works great. It was a throw in to the battery extender I got for my Archos 605WiFi. I drove around yesterday listening to Last.FM and the battery went from 67% to 72% in about an hour. Was very happy with that. Haven't tried it with the GPS yet and that's the real battery hog.

6. nubbard

nubbard Member

Apr 13, 2010
    I had a bit of a different experience. I used the cable that came with the phone and plugged it in to a cigarette adapter that came with a cheap iPod bundle that I bought on Amazon a while ago. The battery would charge for a while (I was using Google Navigation). I use a battery monitoring app that puts the percentage in the notification bar, and it informed me that the battery was over-heating (~120 degrees Fahrenheit I believe). It would then refuse to charge the battery further. I'm not sure if the app wouldn't let it charge, or if it was an Android safe-guard (I'm guessing Android). Regardless, I have a dedicated car charger on the way in hopes of avoiding a similar situation in the future.

7. ninjakyle

ninjakyle Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    musician, speaker
    Indiana
    I forget the brand but it was $15 at target and has two usb jacks - switched to the other usb jack and it charges fine. I guess the one half was defective