• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

1GHz LGE Optimus Elite from Virgin Mobile

To anyone who does not understand what the Grandfathered policy stated, basically if your elite breaks, malfunctions etc. etc. from now on (now being after the 25th of May which is obviously the case) your new replacement will NOT be able to be grandfathered.

So you are hedging your bets on this ONE, SINGLE phone that you purchased.

Not the entire model, not your future replacements, just the phone in your hands. If you decide to service this phone your plan will increase by $10. If you decide to downgrade to the optimus V then switch back to the elite, your plan will increase by $10. If you decide to switch from another grandfathered plan to this phone, it will increase by $10.

So word to the wise?

Take care of your phone, back up your meid, msl, and aaa key, and root it ONLY if you know what the hell you're doing and not just blindly copying root instructions. You want to take the risk and hose your phone AND the grandfather plan then mess around.

Reactions: Dark One
Upvote 0
To anyone who does not understand what the Grandfathered policy stated, basically if your elite breaks, malfunctions etc. etc. from now on (now being after the 25th of May which is obviously the case) your new replacement will NOT be able to be grandfathered.

Not the entire model, not your future replacements, just the phone in your hands. If you decide to service this phone your plan will increase by $10. If you decide to downgrade to the optimus V then switch back to the elite, your plan will increase by $10. If you decide to switch from another grandfathered plan to this phone, it will increase by $10.

So word to the wise?

Take care of your phone, back up your meid, msl, and aaa key, and root it ONLY if you know what the hell you're doing and not just blindly copying root instructions. You want to take the risk and hose your phone AND the grandfather plan then mess around.

Many people thought we couldn't get the Elite on a grandfathered plan but that wasn't true. How is it you know how future service will be interpreted based on how many bad interpretations there were of the original offer? Are you in VM management?

I don't see any reason why I can't get the Elite fixed, or go back to an OV on the grandfathered plan. I am debating moving on to t-Mobile soon anyway so for me it is a moot point.

Upvote 0
Many people thought we couldn't get the Elite on a grandfathered plan but that wasn't true. How is it you know how future service will be interpreted based on how many bad interpretations there were of the original offer? Are you in VM management?

Ohhh snarky, but I'll bite.

First of all I'm not a HUGE fan of VM so obviously no, I'm not in VM Management.

However, I do know how to read and google.
Learn about new Beyond Talk device upgrade rules
Updated: Virgin Mobile Confirns that Optimus Elites Activated before May 27th Will Be Grandfathered | Prepaid Phone News

Contract stated on the vm site itself that ANY new phone that is upgraded post 5/27 including REPLACEMENT phones RELEASED after 5/1/2012, will kill the grandfather plan. Reps from Virgin Mobile stated EXHAUSTIVELY that this is what will happen. But nowhere did it mention that phones activated prior to 5/27 will be forced to upgrade.

As for bad interpretations, you answered your own question. Frankly they're all bad READINGS from laymen users, people who got effed up by VM Customer support, or vm reps who simply weren't that high up.

All that legal jargon means is is that you're stuck with ONE elite until VM decides to pull the plug on grandfathered plans on the elite or on everything.

That said no, there is no bonafide guarantee there will be a grandfathered plan FOREVER however if they value their own contract and some form of customer satisfaction they would be wise NOT to pull the plug very early for the elite.

That said nowhere did I say I can see the future or whatever you were thinking. But if you're set on your tin foil hat theory by all means. Continue forth.

Upvote 0

Since my data sucked at under 100kbs, I called VM to find out what they
could do. They "tried" to reset the phone and they got a database error.
"This phone is NOT compatible with this plan."

It WAS the same exact phone. Any call to VM where they "reset" the
database on their end will probably trigger the same exact issue as
it happened to me. I did everything to verify I was doing what needed
to be done to stay on the GF plan, but when they touched the DB
on their end, it caused and "error," not compatible.

I sent them documentation with event ID, CS badge number, and spoke
about how they had promised if I did it before the 21st I would be
GF into the plan. The tier 3 person said the rules are clear
on their end. By next month, if you have an Optimus Elite, regardless
of when you put it in on the network, you have to pay the new rate.

I hope you guys can fly under the radar. After I told them to put my V
back as my phone, my data speeds moved up to about 4-500kbs down
with about 300kbs up. I was back in business.

If I was going to pay more, I would have waited for the the new 4g phone. I've since moved on to using "link2sd" and my memory problem
is gone. I generally have over 104 MB free memory and about 250 apps
installed. My motivation for the Elite was gone once they said I would
lose the $25 plan.

I hope that the tier 3 person was full of it, or didn't know how to get by
the error on their system so you can enjoy the full benefits of your new
Elite. I just hope you never have slow data.....that is how they got me.

R

Reactions: ktb83
Upvote 0
My data speeds are more than they were on my Optimus V, although I do seem to be having more outages than with my V. My account is currently paid through August (now if you have extra cash on your account they apply it to the next month until there isn't enough for a month). If they do try and force me onto the $35 a month plan I will be going back to my V.

I too would have saved for the Evo had I known I was going to be getting kicked off my $25 plan.

Upvote 0
My data speeds are more than they were on my Optimus V, although I do seem to be having more outages than with my V. My account is currently paid through August (now if you have extra cash on your account they apply it to the next month until there isn't enough for a month). If they do try and force me onto the $35 a month plan I will be going back to my V.

I too would have saved for the Evo had I known I was going to be getting kicked off my $25 plan.

Just hope you never get caught in the "Redirect Of Death" where the only
place you can get on the data network is only to the mobile VM login
page. That is when they tried the reset on my phone and the rest
is history.

I hope you guys can stay under the radar and not have to have anything
reset or you get a CS or Tier 3 agents who knows how to work the
system and let you keep the plan. Hopefully VM will honor what they
said and let people stay on the plan as long as it is the same phone.

I even went to facebook and got copies of where 3 different CS agents
stated the GF plan would be honored. Didn't phase corporate a bit.
The current document about phone "released" after May 1st was
enforced on me.

I don't "need" a phone. I don't even use 1/4 of the minutes on a
monthly basis and maybe use 500 mb of data. Finally got a phone
since the $25 VM plan was rocking for my place in life. To lose it,
just isn't worth having a cell phone for me.

Anyway, just wanted you guys to have a heads up to what might trigger
them shooting you in the foot. I'm just glad it happened to me BEFORE
I lost the window to return the $150 phone. That I was very happy about. And I still have my $25 plan on my V. Yeah!

R

Upvote 0
To all you Virgin Mobile experts.I just bought the VM Elite at walmart on sale for 99.00,I have the 25 dollar plan that I've had for 2 yeras.You do not get jacked up to 35 dollars if you already have the 25 dollar plan with the Elite.I repeat to you know it alls.The VM Optimus Elite qualifies for the 25 dollar a month plan,I know this for a fact because I have this phone and plan,I purchased the phone August 31st for 99 bucks at Walmart.Any questions?

Upvote 0
mine is overclocked stock also. but i dont think its a plus. in some cases i think it can cause stability issues. ive spoken to other elite users who have experienced issues with their elite holding its data signal properly. my elite has had this issue since the day i bought and activated it. it also gets hot when browsing the web and downloading a few megs of files...if i can get it to hold signal long enough to actually download anything. other users dont seem to have these issues but they experience random and frequent reboots and other oddities.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones