• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [1st Gen] Help, stuck in "Kindle Fire" screen

Fixed both of my fires which were apparently stuck in fast boot mode lol.
What version of the software were you running? I just got one and am thinking about rooting. It seems simple enough with KFU, but there are all kinds of threads on XDA in the Q&A section about people who have tried to do this and are now stuck in fastboot mode.

Edit: I am on 6.3.1

Upvote 0
What version of the software were you running? I just got one and am thinking about rooting. It seems simple enough with KFU, but there are all kinds of threads on XDA in the Q&A section about people who have tried to do this and are now stuck in fastboot mode.

Edit: I am on 6.3.1

You need to use burrito root, kfu has it. Just make sure you turn off the firewall on your computer. It will block exploit files an render your kf useless. Then use smirk it scripts on xda to install firefirefire, and twrp... this way you can set the boot mode every start up and you can make a backup using twrp.:D

Reactions: MizzouBrent
Upvote 0
Ok, well I don't believe I have a firewall on my computer, but I'll look at my security settings and make sure I disable it. I rooted my first Evo with Unrevoked and my 2nd one with Revolutionary without any trouble, so I think I am probably ok.

so now that I have the drivers installed (shows Android Phone --> Android Composite ADB Interface) I just run the burrito root option, enter the scripts to install FireFireFire and TWRP and I'm done? I need to read more, but those are fastboot commands right? The concept of fastboot scares me since so many people have had issues with windows being able to recognize the device in fastboot, and then they're unable to get out.

Upvote 0
Ok, well I don't believe I have a firewall on my computer, but I'll look at my security settings and make sure I disable it. I rooted my first Evo with Unrevoked and my 2nd one with Revolutionary without any trouble, so I think I am probably ok.

so now that I have the drivers installed (shows Android Phone --> Android Composite ADB Interface) I just run the burrito root option, enter the scripts to install FireFireFire and TWRP and I'm done? I need to read more, but those are fastboot commands right? The concept of fastboot scares me since so many people have had issues with windows being able to recognize the device in fastboot, and then they're unable to get out.

If you get stuck in fast boot you can use kfu to get out of it. Option #1 has the boot mode settings.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but it sounds like a number of people have issues with windows being able to recognize the device while in fastboot, so KFU can't issue any commands. For what it's worth, I got it all done today and here is exactly what I did.

FWIW I was on stock 6.3.1 and downloaded the most recent KFU.

1) With KF unplugged, I downloaded KFU and extracted. Ran the install_drivers.bat file. Then I plugged in my KF. Went to device manager to check my driver. It should be listed under "android phone" and then android composite adb interface. If it doesn't say that, you need to update your driver. Pointing to the KFU directory should work.

Additional: I also turned off windows firewall (I'm on windows 7) and am running USB 2.0.

2) From there I ran the command to install TWRP. It downloaded TWRP, rebooted my KF and installed, booted back into the system. So far so good.

3) Then I downloaded the FireFireFire bootloader from XDA. Soup Magnet on XDA recommended installing this via TWRP rather than with KFU. Obviously flashing a bootloader is serious business so I'm not about to take any chances with it.

4) After downloading the FFF bootloader onto my SD Card I changed my boot mode to recovery and rebooted (still plugged in). In recovery, I flashed the file and rebooted.

5) Then the stock software booted up just like it should and I'm pretty much done with using KFU. I didn't care about rooting the stock software because I have no plans to run the stock software. With the FFF bootloader and TWRP installed, you have the ability to flash a custom rooted rom anyway, so I'm pretty much all set.

I ended up flashing Glazed ICS and could not be more pleased at this point.

Upvote 0
I was stuck too, thought I had tried everything but finally I was able to recover my KF.

Symptoms: stuck in the "kindle fire" boot screen + I had a sound when I plug it to my pc (which means Windows at least detect it in some ways...)

Fix:
step1. Plug the KF to your pc then stop the KF (push the power button during 20sec)
step2. Start KFU (0.9.6 for me)
step3. Go to "1. bootmode menu" then select "1 Normal <4000>"
step4. Start the KF.

Even if I didn't had anything in the KFU panel, Windows tried to reinstall the driver (??) the startup screen blink a little bit and finally it restart !!!

Now I hesitate a lot to retry to root it... I was afraid I lost it for ever :D

Upvote 0
Hello everyone good morning everyone, I had the opportunity to meet the site vcs.
Well here we go!
I have a kindle fire tablet, tried to install a rom CM9 him, but now he's stuck on the screen (kindle fire).
Already tried everything here, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers is nada.Tentei use the unbrick kindle, kindle fire utility zergrush and nothing.
Please ask the help of you, I read that people were stuck like me with this message: exec '/ system / bin / sh' failed: No such file or directory (2)
Everything I do I'm stuck on it.
Please help me out.
So I want my tablet working again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones