1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [1st Gen] Just a thought on rooting Kindle Fire

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dautley, Jan 4, 2012.

1. dautley

dautley Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Dickson, TN.
    A lot of people's Kindle's are linked directly to Amazon with a credit card of some sort for making various purchases. I was just wondering if rooting the Kindle (especially with one click apps) would put you at risk of someone gaining access to your linked credit cards and Amazon Account?

Advertisement

2. KX4SAM

KX4SAM Well-Known Member
    None

May 18, 2010
    Electronic Repair
    Summerville, SC
    I would think it would make it SAFER. The Kindle app, and the kindle is linked to your account. With the device rooted and CM7 installed, there is no linking unless you add your information in manually. (most apps can be set to not remember passwords)

3. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    I think it wouldn't be any more vulnerable rooted than it was stock. At least if rooted when a dev finds an exploit it can be removed.

I see this same discussion in most of the phone forums once root is achieved. I guess most people don't really understand what root is in the first place.

4. dautley

dautley Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Dickson, TN.
    As far as putting another ROM of the fire it would make it safer if you want to call it that. As far as understanding what Root is, it enables low level access to a device making it easier for any unscrupulous person or script kiddies to plant malicious scripts or apps on your device that could give them total control over it.
    Root is a good thing, it allows us to do things manufactures want to lock end users out of, but it's something you need to be careful with, especially if you don't fully understand what some apps or scripts are actually doing to your device.