• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [1st Gen] [Root] BurritoRoot - Unleash your fire - Works on 6.2.1!

jcase

Android Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2010
*Notice*
BurritoRoot may not work on the 6.0 firmware, please update to a newer firmware if it doesn't work for you.

BurritoRoot is an application that allows the android debug bridge (adb) to be ran as root simply by running the command 'adb root'.

As of today, it is the only software based way of gaining root on the Kindle Fire. It also happens to be 100% working and reliable. Unlike other solutions it does not require modified hardware/cable, or exploiting a vulnerability that can cause instability (and doesn't work on current firmware).

I will keep this updated with a current link to BurritoRoot as I update it, and BurritoMOD when I finish it.

Burrito Root: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...on-kindle-regardless-of-its-software-version/

Currently supporting all known firmware but 6.0.

After running BurritoRoot, and clicking 'Root', adb can be forced to run as root by running the command 'adb root'. It is that easy.

The unroot option only disables the 'adb root' command. It DOES NOT reverse changes you have made to your system.

I am actively seeking to bring other variations of BurritoRoot to more tablets and phones. My track records is fairly good, but lack of hardware is keeping me down. If my solution has helped you, and you wish to help me spread the Burrito, consider buying one of my apps. If non intrest you, consider buying the donation app that does nothing (will serve as a license key for BurritoMOD when it is released). https://market.android.com/developer?pub=Cunning+Logic

This ad below is annoying, really does it have to be IN the post?

Quick question, Rooted last night without any issue, this morning I see a market update available for Superuser, should I update or continue with the version I pushed via ADB?
The market update wont unroot you or mess anything up. A system update, however, is something you should stay away from. I would actually recommend staying up to date on superuser. They update pretty often so that might explain why the superuser with burrito root is already outdated

Upvote 0
Quick question, Rooted last night without any issue, this morning I see a market update available for Superuser, should I update or continue with the version I pushed via ADB?

It is safe to do this update. There are a list of improvements in the latest SuperUser app, but they may or may not be noticeable on the KF. If you don't want to see SuperUser (or any app) in the update list within the "my apps" section of the market, use Titanium Backup (or similar) to break the market link.

Upvote 0
So I just noticed I got updated to 6.2.2 and lost my root. Even though OTA says it has a saved su and says it restores when I hit restore, it does not give me root. Have re-booted. Do I need to go through the steps of rooting again from my PC? Also noticed that OTA has a new button to protect su. Must have been part of an update that I didn't see until now and am too late. So I assume next time need to protect su so as not to worry about updates to the OS? Thanks for the advice! -OG

Upvote 0
So I just noticed I got updated to 6.2.2 and lost my root. Even though OTA says it has a saved su and says it restores when I hit restore, it does not give me root. Have re-booted. Do I need to go through the steps of rooting again from my PC? Also noticed that OTA has a new button to protect su. Must have been part of an update that I didn't see until now and am too late. So I assume next time need to protect su so as not to worry about updates to the OS? Thanks for the advice! -OG

I hadn't rooted before 6.2.2, so I don't know how effective any version of OTA Rootkeeper would have been. It's effectiveness relies on the OTA update not overwriting the partition where it stashes a copy of root, and that's unknown for future updates. So, OTA Rootkeeper provides no guarantee at all. I think the best use of OTA Rootkeeper is to provide a "one click" solution to unrooting and rerooting an already rooted Kindle, so that you can unroot quickly to use the Amazon streaming video feature. Click again and root back. Again, no guarantees it'll work after an OTA update.

As far as rooting from your PC, the biggest challenge I had was getting my darned PC and my version of the Android SDK to see the attached Kindle via ADB. Having done that, rooting was trivial (even 6.2.2). So, assuming you still have your PC set up for the task of using ADB, re-rooting is almost as easy as running the rootkeeper app. The big fear is that future OTA updates will patch the exploits that the current rooting tools use to gain su. Neall

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Got it, new BurritoRoot3 is the answer, a bit more involved than what I thought, but the job is done. If you have Go Launcher going, supposedly need to go back to Kindle Launcher. Luckily all old android drivers and ADB were still working.

[Root][Bootloader] BurritoRoot3 - Kindle Fire Root. Easy root edition - RootzWiki

Let me know if anyone needs help with this while its fresh in my mind.

-OG

I was able to use this method today to successfully root my Fire. Then I used the Kindle Fire Utility to install recovery, go launcher and google apps. It worked like a charm.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones