• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [1st Gen] [ROOT][ONE-CLICK] How-To Get ADB running AND Root with SuperOneClick

death2all110

Android Expert
Jun 25, 2010
Illinois, US
So I was messing around with different one clicks since I got ADB going on my kindle fire and I was able to Successfully use SuperOneClick 2.2 to root my kindle fire!

Sorry for the mess. Its late, and I wanted to type this up so I could crash...

To get adb going you must already have the sdk on your machine and used it.

goto: %USERPROFILE%\.android and edit the adb_usb.ini and add this to the end of the file and save:
Code:
0x1949
then go into where you have the sdk at and open the google-usb_driver folder and edit android_winusb.inf and add this to the [Google.NTx86] section and [Google.NTamd64] section:
Code:
;Kindle Fire
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1949&PID_0006
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1949&PID_0006&MI_01
save and close

If you have already plugged your kindle into the usb you may have to open device manager and find "Kindle" under other devices and choose the android_winusb.inf file.

Turn on Installation of apps from unknown sources: tap the top bar>choose more...(+)>device

open a command prompt and run adb kill-server then try adb devices..

you should see a device listed.

go here: [APP]SuperOneClick v2.2 (now with zergRush and su 3.0) - xda-developers

download and run SuperOneClick and choose the "root" option. let it go!

Enjoy!

Proof:

YBEUW.png

CX3MV.png

I would love some of the people working on this project to make the apk for the kindle e-reader app available so we can use it on other Android Devices.

As you may know, the Kindle app on the Android Market lacks functionality. You cant change the line spacing or the font type. However, the version of the Kindle App on the Fire is different. It has all the options that regular kindles do... and i want that to improve my reading experience on my Android HP Touchpad

Upvote 0
Awesome and quick work!

Sorry for the newb question here - anyone know if you can get VPNC Widget installed and working on the Fire once you have root?

I really need a pure IPSec/cisco VPN client since our wireless network at work requires you authenticate via VPN to connect to anything useful.

Just taking a shot in the dark.

Upvote 0
That's a lot of clicks for one click. :)
Especially if you dont have the SDK yet.. having a hard time figuring out what I need and where to find the google-usb_driver folder, so far not a whole lot of luck.
That is what I get for being a newb trying to catch up.

Ahh nevermind, found it. Down under all the Android versions in the SDK is Extras, the "Google USB Driver Package" is under that. Install that and you find the inf file.

Still more clicks than I expected when the headline on many sites today is "one click", but then again what was it Mark Twain said about believing what you read?.

This still seems pretty straightforward despite my newbness.

Upvote 0
Just a bit of info for any one thinking of rooting the Kindle fire. If you plan on streaming videos with Amazon Prime don't root it just yet.
I rooted mine and I wasn't able to stream I called Amazon Support thinking it was a problem with my account and they said the error message I was getting was do to rooting, of course I played dumb. I unrooted the device and video streaming is working again.

The error message was something like...."Your device is no longer configure correctly for video playback" or something along those lines.

Just a bit of info :)

Upvote 0
Just a bit of info for any one thinking of rooting the Kindle fire. If you plan on streaming videos with Amazon Prime don't root it just yet.
I rooted mine and I wasn't able to stream I called Amazon Support thinking it was a problem with my account and they said the error message I was getting was do to rooting, of course I played dumb. I unrooted the device and video streaming is working again.

The error message was something like...."Your device is no longer configure correctly for video playback" or something along those lines.

Just a bit of info :)
Yeah, it's been mentioned in the tech blogs and there's already a work-around:
Rooting Kindle Fire Breaks Amazon Video (And How To Make It Work)
Thankfully for you there is a workaround: OTA RootKeeper. This app (for rooted users only) acts as a temporary unroot, keeping a backup of su and removing the default that is detected by Amazon Video. You may also need to visit System Settings > Applications > All Applications > Amazon Video > Force Stop.

Upvote 0
hello,

I encountered some problem while run adb commands, therefore ROOT end up failure.

the command output seems wrong, the status is "offline"
does anybody know the reason?

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
**********00000001 offline

Upvote 0
I've followed this instructions a couple of times... on three different computer... two xp and one windows 7 but adb finds no devices...

any ideas?

C:\android\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached

Thanks

What worked for me was that I manually input the 0x1949 code, if you copy and paste it to the notepad document it registers it as something else. I had the same problem.

Reactions: wgregori
Upvote 0
I've followed this instructions a couple of times... on three different computer... two xp and one windows 7 but adb finds no devices...

any ideas?

C:\android\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached

Thanks

I am having the same issue. Tried the rooting process on two different computers with the same result :(

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue. Tried the rooting process on two different computers with the same result :(

If it's not what RawRmon said about the 0X1949 text being pasted in wrong then: Did you guys plug your Fires into the PC before you had ADB installed and updated? May need to point the Fire at the new driver if so. Open the Fire in device manger, update driver, manually select the folder with the inf file you updated.

Oh and iceman99393: As I understand it: Yes, you still need to edit the files so adb recognizes the Fire. That's the whole point of that. Without doing that it has no clue what the hunk of circuits is on the end of the micro-usb cable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones