1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

1st post, 1st rom/HELP

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RochesterRob, Feb 7, 2011.

1. RochesterRob

RochesterRob Lurker

I have just figured out how to root my phone, and I loaded my first rom yesterday, I initially just loaded a stock image rom, just so I could stay familiar and play with the overclock set cpu. After a day I noticed that the phone was a little unstable (freezing up) took a long time to open the phone dialing function.

So this morning I loaded the "C-ROM Version 1.0 Beta 2 - Gingerbread GREATNESS" While I liked it, I realize its a beta and may be a little over my head. I read that I had to clear dalvick(sp) cache to have the indicator lights work. I tried the searching and could not figure out how to do it. Also it was rebooting when I would get a txt.

Now I just tried loading up the newest lithium rom, with the 1.0 kernal, and I did clear data and cache. Even after I rebooted it a few times, every time I tried to launch the market app it would force close. It could not auto load any of my old apps or even launch to re-download them. Luckily, I was able to do a search and figure out how to use the nanodroid back up to load an old rom.

So can someone please tell me, does every rom have some little "quirks"? should I not be experimenting while I'm so green? I read that different roms react different with different phones. Are there any that just work well? I just want a reasonable learning rom that doesn't seem like more work than fun. I just want the phone usable, then in order of priority I would say speed, battery, and customization.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Groid

Groid Android Enthusiast

Please tell us how you are installing. Do you have at least the free rom manager installed with clockwork recovery? That recovery allows you to clear data and cache as well as going into the 'Partitions' menu to format SYSTEM and BOOT. In the 'Advanced' menu you can clear the Dalvik cache. Copy your chosen rom to the sd card, then do the factory reset, wipe cache, format system and boot, and clear the dalvik cache. You should do all these things. Then install the rom. Here is a link to complete guide for doing this.
    GLD's Method for a Clean Install and Restore Using Titanium Backup

RochesterRob likes this.
  3. Crazy_J

Crazy_J Well-Known Member

Simply stunning and bugless beauty are both very good ROMS, I would try them both for a day or two. Different ROMS effect different phones differently. Keep looking into different ROMS until you find one you like that runs smooth. If you find a rom that runs smooth and cool remember what kernel it has, then you can use other ROMS with that kernel. I find for my phone any rom with chevys lv 1.25 ghz kernel my phone is happy as am I.

4. BenDroid

BenDroid Well-Known Member

I think the biggest thing is making sure your phone is completely wiped like Groid said up above. Any shred of a different build that is left behind can cause a mess.

5. RochesterRob

RochesterRob Lurker

Thank you very much, going to read your link and see where I get.

6. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert

To be honest, every custom rom out there has the commands in the /META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script file in edify that will already format system and usually boot, so those are just a waste of time.

My personal method of choosing roms is to do major reading into each rom thread and see how many 'quirks' other people are finding. And that's just the start.

good luck

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews