• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 1st timer, rooted and s-off, what now???

liam79

Lurker
Jan 10, 2012
OK just rooted my desire for the first time and got s-off thanks to the guides here in the forums, my question is what next.... please bear in mind im VERY new to this and im already confused as to the next steps ie: app2sd, partitioning/allocating memory for ROM etc.
Escentially Ive gone down the root road as after just over a year, the desire is running out of internal memory and becoming slow as hell!!
Many thanks in advance

well i liked the look of cm7 so i went ahead and flashed it, all went well :)
so.... now i have learnt to flash new roms, which is a good start- and it has freed up alot of space aswell (i also cleaned out the bulky stuff from the sd card while i was at it)
So what next to help optimise this "new" phone??

Upvote 0
Just sharing my thoughts. I personally don't like all the sense stuff, I find it bloat. Much prefer AOSP roms. They seem smaller, slicker and quicker. There are 2 I'd recommend from both personal experience and from months of following and reading threads on XDA.

First is the rom you are running Cyanogen 7.1. With this rom you can actually repartition the Desires memory shifting over 70mb of wasted space across from System to Data. This is because, being an AOSP rom, it is smaller. You can also partition your SD card as well to install/move stuff over to there. (fat32 followed by ext 4 partition - done with gparted.)

Secondly, a slightly more extreme approach, is a rom by a really helpful guy on this site, SUroot. His rom is even smaller than CM7.1 and moves even more of the desires now unused space across from System to data, and also moving 35mb of the cache across as well. This virtually negates the need for partitioning the sd card.

Both of these roms are excellent. They consistanly get good write ups and comments in the forums and battery life is excellent. And everything works!!! At present these are the best roms out for the Desire, given what I want from a rom. They won't suit everyone, we all like different things. Lots of people like the eye candy of the new sense 3 and 3.5 roms.

Information on resizing your Desire's internal memory can be found by googling alpharev. You just need to make sure the rom you are flashing fits into the System partition, ie, don't resize it for SUroot's rom and expect to flash a Sense 3.5 rom straight afterwards. It won't fit. You'll have to resize it back again.

Have fun browsing through all the roms available for you freshly unshackled phone.

Reactions: SUroot
Upvote 0
so just to clarify, your saying
1. have some fun with different roms until i find one im happy with ( do i need to worry about hboot at this stage or will it be auto? )
2. then install a2sd or equivalent to free up the internal memory
3. then tweak the hboot storage to allow more space, correct partitions ect

am i heading in the right direction here??
thanks for the help on this btw, really appreciate it :)

Upvote 0
Don't worry about hboot to start - find a ROM you like, then see what size it is and hence what other hboot might be optimal. All ROMs can work with the default hboot (but see the comment at the end of this post).

Most ROMs that use a2sd include it with the ROM. The obvious exception is CyanogenMod, where you have to add this yourself if you want it (you also need to add Google apps to CM if you want these).

If you are interested in a2sd you should add an ext partition to the card before flashing the ROM. See the root memory FAQ for details.

One warning: if you are interested in "newer Sense" ROMs, i.e. newer than the Sense version that comes with the Desire (so Sense 2 or higher) you'll need to add a large (at least 1 GB) ext partition to the sd card before flashing the ROM. These ROMs are generally too large to fit in the standard partitions, so use the card partition to store part of the ROM.

I'd also advise reading the first couple of posts of a ROM's thread on XDA before flashing. Different ROMs have different requirements, so find out whether your setup meets them before flashing. If a ROM has "stock" and "CM7" versions, use the "stock" version unless you have changed the hboot to "CM7" - a number of the "new Sense" ROMs have 2 versions like this.

Sorry, a lot of stuff in one post.

Upvote 0
I agree with Hadron. Try different roms. See what you like. Have a play with them and discover their strengths and weaknesses.

I wouldn't mess with the custom hboots at this stage, after all, if you settle on a large, sense based rom, you'll be flashing back to stock anyway.

I made a list of what was important to me when picking a rom. (not in any order)
1 - Everything had to work (camera, video, gps, etc)
2 - Stable.
3 - No lag. (Data to exe always slow for me - class 6 sd card too)
4 - Solves Desire's lack of memory issue. A2SD and/or smaller Rom.

Eye Candy can be "solved" with other widgets, hence my reason to go with AOSP.
Best of the bunch - Cyanogen and SUroot's rom. Simples.

Why don't you make a similar list of what you want. Everyone is different. That is why there is no "best rom," only which one I find best.

Upvote 0
I would echo the recommendations of Suroot'a ROM but bear in mind the philosophy behind it. It is a tiny ROM (less than 60mb) so you don't get many bells & whistles. If you decide it's the ROM for you & flash Suroot'a custom hboot you will have loads of space to add bells & whistles of your open choice from the market.

However installed on a stock hboot you wont have gained any space.

Upvote 0
The thing with my ROM is its AOSP. This means if you're coming straight from a sense ROM, you will notice a lot of difference that is not my ROM, but Vanilla Android, but having never experienced AOSP before, you won't be able to identify that.

Its always best to have tried other AOSP ROMs before mine, given the nature of how stripped it is.

Upvote 0
The thing with my ROM is its AOSP. This means if you're coming straight from a sense ROM, you will notice a lot of difference that is not my ROM, but Vanilla Android, but having never experienced AOSP before, you won't be able to identify that.

For me that was the whole point. Your ROM gives me a blank canvas to do what I want with. With my stock ROM I had about 40mb of internal space left if I kept on top of my cache. On your ROM w ith the same apps installed I have around 250mb. I haven't added custom launchers or much else yet. I'm still enjoying the clean crisp feel of it. In sure given time I'll want to tinker with things like that.

I tried Teppics rooted stock gingerbread ROM but I found apps2sd+ quite buggy & data still builds up in the internal memory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones