• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.0 coming to European Hero, most likely Sprint Hero.

Funny I was thinking something similar this morning just a bit more realistic. I bet they are working on 2.0 for their Verizon release and will only port it over after they are done working on that release. Seeing as the Moto Droid is coming out in 2.0 HTC can't afford to release their HTC Droid sporting 1.5.

Upvote 0
If you read around, the HTC Droid Eris (I think that's the name) WILL have 2.0 installed and it DOES have the Sense UI on it. And if you look at the hardware the Droid Eris is ALMOST identical to the Hero. Actually a LOT of people speculated it WAS the hero, slightly modified externally for verizon.

Which if you are good at basic math, that means you have a CDMA, 550Mhz, HTC phone with Sense UI and Android 2.0 ready to go out the door early-mid November.

If hero gets 2.0 in 2010 I will be surprised, MAYBE the early, EARLY, part of january, but even that I doubt. unless when the Eris comes out it has a TON of bug reports, meaning they had to rush it out the door.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yup this makes perfect sense. In fact if the HTC Droid Eris is already using 2.0 than it might come out sooner than later. It has al the essential parts a Hero and was renamed for Verizon. I guess they are now bastardizing the name since they can't do it to the OS anymore, hahaha. As for bugs...we already have more bugs than Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom on 1.5. The only issue I can foresee is that HTC will want to push their shiny new phone on Verizon and make us wait in which case I will go absolutely ballistic specially if 2.0 does not have many bugs.

Upvote 0
Ran into this:

European HTC Hero Skipping 1.6 Update | AndroidGuys

Looks like HTC is working on the 2.0 update, hopefully it is released soon and fixes our issues.
I will follow the link you posted. I just dont have time rite now. Can the Sprint Hero handle the 2.0 software if anybody knows?????????????????????????????? I know they said the G1 will not get the 2.0 update. They said the software cant handle it. Just looking for some information.

Upvote 0
I will follow the link you posted. I just dont have time rite now. Can the Sprint Hero handle the 2.0 software if anybody knows?????????????????????????????? I know they said the G1 will not get the 2.0 update. They said the software cant handle it. Just looking for some information.

If the European Hero can handle 2.0 and is coming out than Sprint Hero can too. I know someone wrote a very irresponsible blog recently that it "may" not be able to handle it. From the looks of things this person was just looking for something interesting to write and was purely speculating.

Upvote 0
I don't know about you guys, but if Sprint releases a Hero II I'll be the first one in line!

If the original Hero doesn't get 2.0 and we're stuck 2 back at 1.5, I'll be the first in line to NOT get any more Sprint phones. If it's Google/HTC's fault, I'm not getting Android anymore.

I would really feel burned getting a phone like Android/Hero and not getting any updates. That would be total bulls#it.

Upvote 0
If the original Hero doesn't get 2.0 and we're stuck 2 back at 1.5, I'll be the first in line to NOT get any more Sprint phones. If it's Google/HTC's fault, I'm not getting Android anymore.

I would really feel burned getting a phone like Android/Hero and not getting any updates. That would be total bulls#it.
I dont see how it could be Googles fault. All they did was build and release Android.

Unless Sprint just doesnt want to bother with the updates, its really not their fault either, and in that case, just allow us to manually update.

I do agree though, if we do not get updated to 2.0 which is hot on the heals of the release of Sprints Hero then its going to be the last HTC I ever buy. Which brings me to where I think blame should lie. With the manufacturer of the phone. I wouldnt swear off Android over something HTC did much like I wouldnt swear off HTC over something Google did.

Upvote 0

It would never be Google's fault unless the SDK was never released. Which it was today. This is mostly in HTC's court. Sprint has some say in it as well, but HTC is the developer on the phone's OS.

Edit: And Edaze beats me to the punch!

Upvote 0
If HTC and/or Sprint decided NOT to upgrade the Hero to Android 2.0 that will be the last HTC phone I ever buy. I understand my "stand" won't make a difference to the big picture, but it would be such a dick move to leave Hero owners at 1.5. Specially seeing how close the release of Hero and Android 2.0 were.

Upvote 0
I would like to have any update please dont get me wrong here, but why is the 2.0 a big deal when we have the SenseUI. The SenseUI in a way covers up the dullness of android. Please tell me what im missing hear with 2.0.

Look at the 1.6 updates since those will be included with 2.0 as well.

Android 1.6 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

And 2.0

Android 2.0 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

Yes, the Sense included some of the features that 2.0 includes. But there's so much more that's added.

Upvote 0
Agreed, the new Google Navigation is totally worth 2.0 but with this new Google Navigation, Sprint probably won't push for 2.0 on the Hero because the phone comes with Sprint Navigation...

Also agreed, but not sure who to blame, Sprint or HTC for not coming out with a 2.0 update. Most likely HTC, seems like they just gave up on the "New Sprint Hero" phone. And blame Sprint for not pushing HTC to make their customers happy.

Also, doesn't the new Droid have the same processing speed as the Hero? (remarks made about 'old devices' not having enough power)

Upvote 0
Well, it appears that the European Hero is getting it. So why wouldn't the Sprint Hero? The question is more or less when? Some of our phones are literally croaking because of the bugs!!! Here is the message one of the Euro Hero users received regarding 2.0.

Dear HTC customer,
Thank you for contacting our Support Center. We are dedicated to providing you with the best quality service and answering all of your questions and concerns.
The Hero will not be receiving the Android 1.6 upgrade, it will however get the 2.0 one. Do note however that we do not have a confirmed release date for this upgrade, all I can recommend at the moment is that you keep yourself updated by visiting our website regularly as the latest information will be available to view from there.
Best regards,
HTC customer support team
HTC Corp. Global Service Division

Upvote 0
Also, doesn't the new Droid have the same processing speed as the Hero? (remarks made about 'old devices' not having enough power)

The new Droid from Moto has a Core 8 processor, same as iPhone 3Gs and Palm Pre. It's much faster than the Hero's processor, or the Verizon Droid Eris, with the same 528mhz processor found in the Hero.

I wouldn't think that a fast processor would be a requirement of Android 2.0 tho.

New OS's are all about being able to be updated. That's what's awesome about the iPhone, Pre and Android. Not updating a phone that came out one version behind to begin with would be a very bad move.

Upvote 0
Engadget is reporting that HTC intends to bring 2.0 to all Heros with one caveat it is up to Sprint to help coordinate the release. Of course no eta was given only a "be patient while we work to provide you with a tightly integrated experience like the one you are already enjoying on your Hero."

Hopefully that does not include the bugs we're used to!!!

HTC confirmed to be cooking up Android 2.0 update for Hero, other devices unclear

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones