• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 and 3 UK...are they ever going to do anything?!

Ok, first off, hi everyone.

I guess you all know, I have a HTC Hero. Love that phone, best device I've ever owned. I'm so pleased with Android and HTC. Apart from you know what...

I'm still running 1.5 on the damn thing. 3 UK officially said they were sending over the air (OTA) updates in July or something...I've had no updates from them. Then they released the ROM on the HTC website...but I can't get it to work. I can't even get my phone to connect to my laptop with HTC Sync.

I've tried the 'set date forward a year trick'. No luck. I've also tried using the update button located in the 'about' menu, unfortunately for me my phone doesn't even have the 'check for updates' option. What the hell is wrong with it?!

I've tried rooting too, no avail. I guess you need to be able to use HTC Sync for that.

Can anyone here shine some light on this situation? I contacted 3 and they very calmly told me not to cancel my updates in future, and to try turning my phone on and off again, despite me telling them numerous times that I would endeavour to do so if they actually sent me an update.

Thanks

Just after I posted that I got an update lol.

But now I have a new problem, It seems to be stuck half way through the install. The updated HTC logo has come up, a loading counter gets up to %14 then disappears, then the HTC logo is stuck on the screen. I can't do anything with the phone.

When I press the unlock button, I can see the new lock screen wall paper, and the notification bar is on telling me I am connected to a network, and a couple of apps are running. As soon as I drag the slider down, the screen goes back to the HTC logo.

I can do nothing with it now... :mad:

Upvote 0
Well now the damned thing has worked. Seemed that the lock screen popping up was freezing it, so I just had to keep pressing the screen whilst it loaded.

Now running
Firmware: 2.1 update 1
Build: 3.35.771.1 CL196735 release-keys

I only had one download, not three. So I'm guessing that 'update 1' must mean there is more on the way? I ran the 'check for updates' button, says there is nothing available.

Upvote 0
No, -update1 is part of Google's naming process, refering to an updated version of 2.1. Every phone that has '2.1' is actualy running android 2.1-update 1.

The three updates thing is true for unbranded phones, but 3UK might have combined them since they released their updates much later. You already have at least the first two updates (the first was a preparation update, the second was 2.1), but you may/may not have the third.

But the third just contained a g-sensor calibration tool and caused some problems (such as disapearing widgets) so it's not vital you get it.

Reactions: ribena_wrath
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones